Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladymarmalade_gw

pram kai mea mango

ladymarmalade
14 years ago

So I was in the HD Garden Center today & I saw a mango that said Fairchild on the HD label, but had a metal label on the tree itself that said pram kai mea mango. I think I trust the grower's label more than Home Depot's, but I googled pram kai mea & found nothing at all. Anybody have any idea what it might be?

Funny how I go into Home Depot to buy lightbulbs and end up in the Garden Center. I need therapy, I really do!

Comments (14)

• ladymarmalade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Murahilin. As always you are very helpful.

• boom1
    14 years ago

its definately brahm kei meu. its eaten greem/

i grow the common nam doc mai, po pyu kalay, chocanon, and okrung tong all of which i commonly find spelled in a variation of ways.

my Alampur Baneshan tree that i bought from PI had a label that said AlanP Baneshan like it was someones name, lol. took me a minute to figure it out. mango names are commonly mispelled especially thai varieties where im convinced they rely on phonetic soundings.

• dghays
    14 years ago

I've seen it spelled both ways. I have a small one. I ate some fully ripe and they were great. Like most asians, it should be more disease tolerant.

Gary

• ladymarmalade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everybody. I am glad to hear that they taste good ripe as well. I am not a huge fan of green mangos

• boom1
    14 years ago

i wish i had more room, there are so many interesting asian varieties at t0ptr0picals like cobra tong, keo savoy, tom dong, mun kun si, si siam.

wish i had another half acre of land

• murahilin
    14 years ago

I'm not that big of a fan of the Asian varieties. Some of the best tasting varieties i've had has been ones created by Zill. Next year Zill will be coming out with a few new varieties that are better than many of the current varieties.

• ladymarmalade
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness, Boom. I know what you mean. Not just mangoes. I wish I had room to plant all the fruits I love. Fortunately since I started visiting this forum I have learnt that a lot of stuff can be planted in pots so now my backyard is just overflowing with pots. Right now I am on a bit of a mango kick. I bought some seeds from Tradewinds Fruit and successfully germinated a mangosteen so I am really excited about that. I hope I can keep it alive long enough to get fruit from it!

• dghays
    14 years ago

Murahilin, know any var names or what their parents were?

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Gary,
    I had about 30 different kinds from Zill this year. Heres a pic of most of them. I ate some before I took the pic lol. My favourite was the 27-1. They didn't have a name for it yet but they were unoffically calling it Lemon Zest. Coconut Cream was also a very good one. Sunrise was pretty good. I cant remember many of the other ones but many were excellent. Overall this year I tasted around 50-60 different varieties of mango and Jakarta and the 27-1 were my fav's. The 27-1 is 3rd from the right in the bottom row.

• boom1
    14 years ago

3rd one from the right looks like an asian variety which means its seed is most likely polyembryonic.

hope you planted it.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Unfortunately I didn't end up planting either of the two seeds I had. The first one I tossed without thinking and after I ate the second I realized I should keep the seed but I forgot to plant it and it was no good after I came back from vacation. They should have that tree for sale next year. If not I can beg for some budwood lol.

• boom1
    14 years ago

i never checked out Zills nursery, did they have a fruit festival? i will definitely have to look into it next year

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Boom, I am not sure if Zill's is open to the public. You could always call and find out though. They did not have a fruit festival but they do sell mangos when it is in season. Many of the mangos and sapodillas found at pine island are bought from Zill's.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm