Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Malay Apple leaves not glossy and light green.

Posted by fmalmgren 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 18:54

Hello!

I am wondering if anybody has experience growing Malay Apple in south Florida. The tree is growing leaves in large clusters but they only stay glossy while they're small and loose it quickly as they grow full size. I figure the tree needs water and have been feeding it about 1" of water/week. I'm feeding it with regular fertilizer once a month. I didn't get any fruit this year. I did plant it early this year and it had suffered from last winter's frost. If anybody has any advice please let me know. Thanks!

/Fred

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Malay Apple leaves not glossy and light green.

I am growing Malay Apple. Here is my tree recovering from winter of 2009-2010.
Malay Apple 1/3/10

Prior to the last two year's winters, the leaves on my tree got huge and weren't necessarily green and glossy as you can see.

Malay Apple Leaf 1/3/10

Harry

o

Harry,

That's a beautiful tree! Nice shape! Have you had any fruit yet? Would you care to give me a few pointers how to care for the tree? I've looked for some plant care tips but haven't found any yet. The leaves are huge! Mine are probably the size of your palm. My tree is about 7' tall with a few branches sticking out. I got it this spring from a nursery and it was pretty bare. It's recovered well but I had to trim some dry branches. I put a thick layer of mulch around. It's not harboring apples but tree frogs and spiders.

Thanks!

/Fred

o

Harry,
In venezuela we were familiar with pumarosa(rose apple I suspect),
On our farm we had a similar tree to yours with the typical brisley pink flowers, pyramidal tree. The fruit we had was called pumaga', was a pyriform purple/almost black skin fruit when ripe with an outstanding flavor and sweetness. Nothing like anything I've seen. Very perfumey and white on the inside.
Any ideas? Cultivars?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here