Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boom1_gw

my Marang pulled through!

boom1
14 years ago

today i was surprised to see my marang (artocarpus odoratissimus) pulled through.

i had ordered a Marang from Sadhu and it died (to be fair Sadhu has to bareroot his trees and Artocarpus are root sensitive)

today i noticed after over 6 months sprouts from its roots!

here are some other little things i got going at the moment

seeded breadfruit, breadnut, Artrocarpus camansi

anona cherimoya (i think? can i get some help to verify)

paradise nut, lecythis ollaria minor

lemon drop mangosteen, Garcinia intermedia

Açaí palm, Euterpe oleracea

Comments (17)

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Congratulations! Best of luck with these. I had some Terrap (I think that is their name in Borneo) sent back to me from there by a friend. They grew well enough when it was warm, but they didn't make it through the winter. Keep them away from the cold....anything 50 F and below will harm them. From what I have heard, the trees in Borneo that my friend saw were 75 feet tall. Not sure how big they have to be to fruit. My successes in this family have been with jakfruit and kwai muk. Both have fruited very well at my home.

• boom1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

im also growing jackfruit x chempendak "Cheena". chempendak is cold sensitive but this hybrid is supposed be hardy similar to jackfruit.

im not sure how many days last winter we experienced - 50 degrees weather, not too many that i remember but i may have an unusual microclimate, im probably about 7 miles from the Ocean.

my breadnut seedlings will also require winter protection like breadfruit do. im only putting one of the seedlings in the ground next spring. i have a feeling if i protect the base of the trees they should be fine, the branches may go into a little shock in the winter but as you can see this Marang wants to bounce back.

do you think wrapping a wire cage around it wrapped in pink insulation will do the trick or will i definitely need a light for heat?

im going to probably keep these 3 artocarpus close to each other in a row so i can protect them together. im going to keep them around 15 feet.

Artocrapus in Borneo or other areas grow huge but ive never seen a large one down here.

heres a Marang/Terap tree from wiki

breadnut get just as big natively, again never seen a full specimen down here.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

I would think the insulation would definitely keep the wind out....not sure about what additional heat would be required. Running water might be of benefit. The ground water stays nice and warm here. I have tried to grow many, many ultra tropicals and have eventually given up as the result of being lazy and not giving them the proper protection. Amongst the dead are durian, rambutan, mangosteen, pulasan, terap, and a bunch more I do not even remember that were sent back to me from Thailand and Borneo about 15 years ago. Still amongst the living is a small seedling durian that is in a covered area. It survived temps this last winter down to 35 F. I also have a nutmeg tree in a pot that is doing reasonably well. Those came from Hawaii. I would have still had a really nice mangosteen...perhaps fruiting size tree by now if it weren't for Hurricane Wilma. I had it in a very large pot and it was about 9 feet tall. Stupid me I left it in my shade house during the storm and large sections of aluminum stadium bleechers flew into my yard from the adjacent highschool an on top of my shade house collapsing it. Down went the mangosteen. Sigh.........

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

See therre are some advantages to NOT living in Florida...LOL...LOL. The only thing I can help you with is a positive ID and I can't be specific. The pic of what you called anona cherimoya, I say your right there it has to be cherimoya sugar apple somethnig inthat family. i just had a whole crap load of these germinate. Only a few weeks and POOF.....now I have a whole forest of these seeds. Wish I could help more, and goodluck with the rest!
    Andrew

• boom1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

andrew, thank you for verifying they are anona, when i saw them the WTF factor kicked in but then i remembered a few months back planting the seeds of a cherimoya i bought in the food store for 5 bucks, it was rather tasteless but im sure its because they pick them way to early to ship them even in those little syrofoam protectors.

i wonder how cherimoya does in South Florida, ive heard of mixed results. maybe they will go in a neighbors yard.

hmhausman thats good to hear about your Durian being so hardy, maybe its an unusual strain? thats a fruit i will definitely have to try before trying to grow. i know mangosteen is near impossible down here without a greenhouse (i think its mostly the low salt tolerance). i would love to try a mangosteen, do you know any fruit places around who carry them in season?

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

I have seen fresh mangosteen but mostly in northern markets like NY, Vancouver ans Boston.....always sold by Chinese street or market merchants. If I am not mistaken, someone I knew ordered in a case of them from somewhere, a few years back....maybe from Puerto Rico. I think they were irradiated.......they tasted good, but not sure how good for you that irradiation.

You can always get Durian to try at almost all local Chineses markets. Either they have the whole fruits that has been flash frozen or just the flesh frozen in little plastic boxes. I prefer the latter. Having eaten it many times, I still wonder what the people see in it that is sooo amazing. Horticulturally, it is a very, very interesting plant. Eating-wise.......its really great if you like almond and onion flavored creamy and gelatinous pudding. Thankfully, the frozen varieties that the markets here have are less foul smelling than the fresh fruit. Or so I hear.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Boom,
    There are a few places in Florida that does have mangosteen when its in season. I found it at this place in West Palm off of Forest Hill named "fortune cookie." There was also this place down in Miami that had it but I cant remember the name. The fruit comes irradiated from Thailand. The fruit from PR does not require irradiation but its impossible to get and a lot more expensive if you do manage to get it. I do not think the seeds from irradiated fruit grow though. I planted a bunch and none came up. I think others who have tried it have had no luck either. Easiest thing to do is buy the seeds from eBay. I've seen cherimoyas fruiting here but not with that many fruit. I think if you hand pollinated you might get a lot more fruit.

hmhausman,
    I also dont understand how people like the taste of Durian. All I tasted was rotten onion gelatinous pudding. I didnt get that almond taste. Might of made it better lol. I've tried it fresh and frozen and both ways it smells horrible. When its fresh though I didnt notice the smell until it was open for a little while.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Funny (and illustrative) story.......a few years ago we bought some Durian and were going to try some of it in a restaurant that some friends own. The cook took half of what was left of the fruit after we ate as much as we could. He intended to play a mean prank on his landlord by squeezing the fruit pulp through their mail slot over the weekend, so they would have a smelly mess when they came in on Monday. I didn't learn about this until much later.....anyway, the cook couldn't accomplish his prank on Friday night so he took the fruit home, triple wrapped and then bagged it further and put it in his refrigerator. He said the whole apartment stunk by Saturday morning and it even woke up his roommate. The roomate came out and gagged when he opened the refrigerator. They were both convinced that the fruit had rotted or fermented or both over night and had to be thrown out asap. They were just getting ready to see who was going to be elected to throw the package out when their neighbor...who is Chinese from Singapore, knocked on their door. As soon as the door was opened, the neighbor was delighted by the odor....I mean fragrance of a childhood memory. He came in.....took the fruit from the refrigerator and ate every last drop of it. And so...the moral of the story....there is a good reason why they make chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and yes, Duran ice cream.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

I can only imagine how durian ice cream would taste. It would be hard to be worse than the actual fruit. I saw durian roti on a menu in Singapore but I was not about to order it.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

I have to make a comment on the durian. I saw Bizzare Foods with Andrew Zimmern and I have to admit, I thought he was full of himself, maily because he ate Corazon in Puerto Rico and said it was horrible. I like this fruit, here they call it Sugar Apple. But now after all the negative feedback, I will pass on trying this fruit. I would love to try Mangosteen but I would have to travel some distance to find it.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

andrew78.........I think the corazon that you are referring to is different than the sugar apple we have. Corazon I think is annona reticulata and sugar apple, also know as sweetsop, atis, or anon is annona squamosa. Check it out and let me know if I am mistaken. Thanks

• murahilin
    14 years ago

hmhausman, Youre right. I remember that Bizarre foods episode and it was annona reticulata that he ate in PR.

Andrew, you shouldnt let negative feedback on fruit stop you from trying it. You might be one of the people who love it but youll never know if you dont try them out. You could always order the mangosteen fruit online from melissas or friedas

• boom1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anona reticualta is often called custard apple, but not sugar apple.

Anona cherimola is also called sometimes called custard apple, its a peeve of mine that i correct whenever i hear.

i love Custard apple, Corazon, Bullocks heart. it reminds me of strawberry Honeycomb breakfast cereal i used to eat when i was younger (cant find it anymore, lol).

the one i tried though was fresh off a tree and it was soft, like a water baloon

• yaslan
    13 years ago

How's your Marang boom1? I would love to see pics!

Speaking of Durian; my daughter was just telling me how they had to evacuate an entire dorm (10 floors!) because they suspected something foul in the air... It was Durian!!

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

boom1 was my original profile that for some reason i got locked out of. my second profile was sour_diesel this is my third.

that marang died. i received seeds from Sadhu recently, one of which sprouted, i posted a pic of it, ill take another soon.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Oh... I see. Sorry to hear about your marang. But Good luck on your seeds from Sadhu. Hopefully, it will have a much happier ending.

Bo

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

my breadnut seedlings died too, i think they get fungus