Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tyler1121

Help me and my Mango tree(s)

tyler1121
9 years ago

Hello all, Im making this thread for all my questions wrapped into it and hoping to get them all answered. So please bear with me.

So early this last spring I ordered 2 mango trees then ordered a few more. I had plans to have moved before the summer started. That never happened, needless to say I was planning on buying a house with a sunroom for over the winter as Colorado is too cold for the trees. So now I have to bring the trees in soon and will need to buy a light. What are the best lights that are cost effective? I was looking into some hps lights. Are those recomended? As for being too bright the trees will go in the basement where the light won't bother me. How many lights will I need? Most of my trees are 6' tall.

I noticed one of my trees has some spots the leaves and some leaves seem to have been half eaten. I'll attach some pictures. Also I believe there are some spider mites on a few of my trees, I noticed some leaves were curled up and when I opened them I seen some spider webs. So what is the best insecticide as well as a fungicide?

Comments (36)

• tyler1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another picture

• tyler1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And one more.

• sapote
    9 years ago

As for the lights, I would think using the same lights that they used to grow pots should work. If it works for weeds then it should be fine with mangoes :)

• tyler1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anybody?

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Hi Tyga, try using this product Organocide ( below is a link)...as far as artificial lights I won't be able to help since I grow my trees outside...but if you search for Plant lights on the search you should be able to bring up some great suggestions...my friend uses T5 lights for all his plants ( he lives in MI )...Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Organocide-3-in-1

• tyler1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much pug. I've been meaning to message you and ask you a question. I'll ask now, some of my trees are 6-7' tall which is where I want to keep them, however I wanted to get you opinion on if it is a good idea to "pug" them since the tree is thick and no longer a sapling. I'll get a picture tomorrow for you.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

You can pug them or "tip" them depending on how drastic you want to go...BUT now is not the time to do it...what state do you live in? Even for me in FL I don't pug my trees till Spring or Summer...that way I have several months of growth before the cooler/colder weather gets here. Also when you pug a tree it will take a year or so for blooming and fruits...pugging slows down but it will give your tree a much nicer shape and fuller, more dense growth in the long run...

Here's a Lancetilla I pugged a couple of years ago...you can see all that light green leaves are new growths several weeks old starting to harden of. I'm not telling you to pug your tree this drastically just wanted you to see one I had done a couple of years back...

Its best to lightly "pug" it, shape it and see how it responds...again wait till Spring or summer to get the best growing season from it...Good luck!

This tree today is slightly larger now...I'll see if it blooms next Spring?

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 9:51

• tyler1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great info thank you so much. I'd say most of my bigger trees have about the same size trunk as the potted tree behind your lancetilla, would you think that's too thick to pug at 3-4 ft next summer?

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Oops...I edited my sentence above...I meant to say " I'm not telling you to pug your tree this drastically just wanted you to see one I had done a couple of years back... "

I wouldn't think so? But, again proceed with caution...you can always do more later...here's one that had a much thicker trunk that I pugged March of 2014...the tree is appx 6 years old) its a Cogshall

Before pugging...

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Taken right after my husband and I pugged it...here's my dog Max where a member coined the word "pugging" after him,lol...

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

And here it is in June of this year...

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

I took this one this morning...I'm hoping it will fruit again next year, guess only time will tell if I gave it enough time to grow...

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Tyga, would love to see pictures of your mango trees when you get a chance...Thanks!

I planted that tree fairly close to the house because I wanted to protect it from the occasional freeze we get here...that's why I have to keep this tree in check, Sacrificing it not fruiting yearly due to the severe pruning it gets every couple of years...This tree has been quite productivet a couple of years ago...

• tyler1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Max is adorable. I've been considering getting good a pug fir my daughters.

Anyhow that is one heck of a trim, which gives me great confidence when it come time. Your tree looks so great. I hope mine will look like that next year.

One more question. My trees are 5 foot stalks with a little bush up top, there are no low growing branches. is it usually safe to pug 6-8 incest above the graft with out any branches? I understand nothing is full proof.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

And here it is right after I pugged it, it did have a few leaves left July 31, 2008

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 10:31

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Eventually, the lower leaves fell off and the new growths appeared on the top part of the trunk and made a nice canopy...here it is taken Oct 24, 2008 a few months before the killing freeze killed it :o(

• tyler1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Max is adorable. I've been considering getting good a pug fir my daughters.

Anyhow that is one heck of a trim, which gives me great confidence when it come time. Your tree looks so great. I hope mine will look like that next year.

One more question. My trees are 5 foot stalks with a little bush up top, there are no low growing branches. is it usually safe to pug 6-8 incest above the graft with out any branches? I understand nothing is full proof.

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

...funny puglvr - Tyga posted the same post a day apart! And after you had made 3 separate posts....very strange, dont' you think? I mean how do you DO that anyway?

Maybe Typa is a machine wanting to be human and invading the Fruit Forum....yikes!

:)

myADog

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Hi myADog!! Haha, that is weird! Wonder how that happened?
    :o)

• tyler1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah I seen that double post. I don't know how that happened. I pretty much do everything from my cell phone so please excuse my delays and typos and anything goes else that's weird.

Pug I'm going to get those pictures soon sorry for all the delay. Work school and my daughter's school is taking a lot of time :-/

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

No problem Tyga!! Whenever you get a chance is fine :o)

BTW, I'm the queen of typos...so No worries!!

• sapote
    9 years ago

On the last photo it shows many exposed roots. Do you prefer to plant the tree this way?

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Hi Sapote, ideally I normally do not plant my trees with many exposed roots intentionally. But, I've read that its best to plant trees at or slightly above ground level and because this is what I've done, I think after days or weeks after planting the dirt settles and some of the roots get exposed...though I've never had any issues or problems with all my trees I've planted this way...some may not like the roots exposed :o)...

• sapote
    9 years ago

Hi Pug, those exposed roots would be dried and died. It's true that planting a tree too high wouldn't kill it out right (although it might suffered a bit before the new lower roots re-generated) as compare to planting too low.

• tyler1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are my trees

From left, harvest moon, ice cream, pickering, Carrie, Mallika.

I hate to cut the ice cream but I feel that it's a bit leggy

This post was edited by Tyga on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 0:01

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Somebody else just asked about lights. I guess I can repeat my advice- The best is Metal Halide. Now,you could use a standard bulb...but thats a color not pleasing to the eye...you might go for a 9000k+ bulb that is very nice to greens and reds and is as natural a light as there is short of sunlight. Its intensity also gives good close nodes growth.
    With as much as you've invested in tree's the right light seems the right thing to do.
    You also should use a fan to create air movement- VERY important indoors.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pictures! You have some very nice trees! Good luck with all of them...I have to say even though I have pugged several mango trees and have done it often...even for me, every time I have to pug one of my trees its always nerve racking,lol...you always feel like there's a chance it won't bounce back or take forever to see new growths (especially in potted plants) they recover much slower...its a very drastic thing to do but once they start growing...you can see the wait and apprehension is well worth it for the overall shape and size you're trying to achieve...Good luck to you!!

Stan's advise on the lighting is a very sound one :o)

• tyler1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much. I'll be sure to update next spring. As for lighting I plan on going with 2 of these
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004YXDHX6/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WRS4X4C0GMOQ

• tyler1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any input on this fixture?

• mango mango
    7 years ago

here is my nam doc mai which i pugged it about 3 wekks ago. seems that new shoots are coming out.

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

Looking good! Its always nice to see those baby new growths appear :o)

• mango mango
    7 years ago

Thanks puglvr1,

How are your mangoes doing? have they fruited yet?

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

Yes! I have 6 mango trees and they all have fruits except one ( only planted inground last year) and still young...

Here's a few pictures...

My only potted mango tree, has about 12 fruits on it right now.

• mango mango
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

that's just wonderful pug. I wish i knew how to take care. I just don't understand why my potted mangoes' leaves dry up and are not clean and shiny like yours.

However talking about fruiting I have a kensigton pride 150 cm mango tree which is potted in a very
    large 20 gallon pot. In one of the branches it has begun to form a spike
    with few as it looks small fruits. but i am very afraid that it could
    fall the off. What do you think i should do to prevent this?

• mango mango
    7 years ago