Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

Tropical fruits in Toronto

ch3rri
13 years ago

Back from my Toronto trip. It was great fun and worth the 8 hr drive. The fruits there were so good. Love the mangosteen, sugar apple, and longkong the best! Ate the fruits everyday and still not tired of them. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures

Comments (20)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

what are the larger annona?

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Nice, I just found some sugar apples at an asian market. Mine are way under ripe so I am not sure how they will taste. Yours look great. The mangosteen look pretty fresh as well.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The larger green next to the sugar apples are atemoya.

Jsvand, you should let the sugar apple soften before eating. Our Asian supermarkets start to have sugar apple too. But they are so small and hard and black. I hope they'll have larger green one later.

Miss the fruit from Toronto already. They were so fresh and good.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Great pics of your tropical-fruit-adventure! Does the sugar apple tastes like the cherimoya?
    -Bo

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Were you able to bring any fruit back into the states? Keep any seeds? Wasn't sure how tough they are at the border with fruit. The longkong is fantastic isn't it? Definitely one of my favs.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Wow what a haul, the fruit looks great and the scenery looks so beautiful, esp. at night with all the lights.

Glad you had a great time, hope some seeds accidentally fell into your suitcase.

-Ethan

• franktank232
    13 years ago

Just say "No...no seeds came back across"..and then wink and nod :) Awesome. We have NOTHING like that in this state. I've never come across anywhere near that selection. We are lucky to get bananas!

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Kristy:

Thanks for reminding me how much of a selection the Canadian markets have with regard to Asian fruits. I would say that I hope you enjoyed your trip....but that would be a really silly statement. I am wondering about what you have labeled Long Kong. I hear that Long Kong are a particular type of what I call Langsat (Lansium domesticum). Supposedly, they have a different type of skin, or less latex and are sweeter. Did the ones you tasted in Canada have any hint of a slight bitter grapefruit taste behind the overall sweet flavor the fruit generally had?

Harry

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hahaha...I didn't want to bring any seeds back because they will take forever to fruit. Plus, I really have no more room. The other we hosted a BBQ at our house so we had to move all my trees from the deck to the front yard. Man...it was a pain and after I look at my front yard it was like a forrest...LOL. So no more seed planting for me....hehehe

Jay- we crossed the border at night time. They only asked us a few questions like where you live, work, where you went or visited for how many days, if you bring any fruits back. We told them we got some hot food to go. There were 5 of us in the cars but the lady didn't check the car. I think it could be because it was late.

Harry- yes, it was a nice trip. I would want to go again. Just hope US money will be more so I can buy more fruits...lol. The longkong we ate were sweet with no bitterness. When you peel the skin it has some milky latex coming off. There was no sourness in this fruit. The fruits were rounder and there were some seeds inside.

I remember there was one I ate back then which look similar to the longkong and it was sweet and sour. The shape was more oval compared to the longkong. Could that one be the langsat? I googled langsat and it is very similar to longkong but more oblong in shape.

It took us 8 hrs to get to Canada but when you go in a group, you will fine it very fast and fun!

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

you should have definitely brought back the mangosteen seeds, they are almost always good from seed and hard to find not irradiated, so pretty valuable as far as seeds are concerned.

even if you were to raise them as a hobby and sell them on ebay for a nice amount, you could take your time listing them.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

heheheh....I didn't know you want them. I'll sneak some back for you when I go again. I think sneaking a couple seeds should be easy. They usually don't check your body...lol

Oh, I saw a santol sale sign. But I was a bit late so no more santol when I got there. I should make my trip in August next year so I can taste some santol.

• abayomi
    13 years ago

I concur with mango_kush.

FreSh mango$teen $eeds $ell for ridiculou$ amount$.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

awesome pics- how much was each fruit

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lycheeluva, check out my blog. The pictures there show the prices of each fruit. They are a little cheaper than the one in the US.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures

• abayomi
    13 years ago

I paid $9 for one cherimoya today. Not even ripe.

Has anyone paid anything close to that before?

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

$9 for one cherimoya, that's insane, I paid about 5 dollars for a large one. Not ripe neither, you have to wait for a couple days. Give it a pinch each day.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wait for cherimoya season and you can order online. I think the one we ordered online is sweeter than the store bought. The cherimoya is usually $4.99/lb here in PA. But I will order from cherimoya.com.

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

I bought lots of mangosteen at Ottawa, we have similar supplies with Toronto. I noticed that the mangosteen is not as large as last years.

The size of small but very uniform. The taste is the same and have fewer seeds. Not sure this is a new variety.

• newgen
    13 years ago

Thanks for the delicious photos!!

Ethan: can long kong be grown where we are?

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

When we were in PR, the owner of one of the farms we vistited commented that the mangosteen were smaller this year. They had the same great quality just smaller fruits.

Newgen, longkong where I live will be a major challenge, I will have to overcome winter cold and lack of humidity. I do enjoy a challenge though.

-Ethan

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!