Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradflorida

Watering requirements

bradflorida
12 years ago

I've got the following in 12-14" diameter clay pots with citrus/cactus soil (miracle-gro or similar brand):

Recently pugged Valencia Pride mango tree

Limequat

Mexican/Key Lime

I have been watering them roughly every other day, with a good amount of water (until it comes out of the hole on the bottom of the pot). Basically, I let the soil get to the point where it becomes dry (dry to the touch with my second knuckle stuck in the dirt), then I water it.

Does this watering frequency sound roughly appropriate?

Thanks,

Brad

Comments (7)

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

yes, for the most part. Since they are in pots, I would just keep a daily watch on them. Don't want to over water but don't want them to dry out either. This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't keep them in clay pots. I would use the plastic "nursery" pot. From what I believe I have seen you write, you will need to up their pot at least once per year, or go right to larger 15+ gallon pots now.

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

im watering twice a week in slightly larger pots.

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bsbullie - I'd say the pots are about 15 gallon size give or take.

Brad

• zands
    12 years ago

You can't put a small plant in a too large pot. Fertilizers will not get to where the roots are. They will drift past and out of range of plant roots.

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Zands. Good to keep in mind.

Should I be fertilizing these young plants yet?

Brad

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Depending on zands definition of small plat in a large pot, I disagree. Assuming we aren't talking a seedling being planted into a 100 gallon, putting a "small" plant into a larger pot has its benefits. It will allow for the development of a better root system. And yes, you can get fertilizer to the roots. Think of it this way, how does this differ from planting a 3 gallon into the ground ? Can you get fertilizer to it, yes of course...assuming you are proper;y fertilizing.

And yes Brad, your "small"/young plants should be fertilized. Frequency and amount would depend on the size of the plant and type of fertilizer.

Than again, to each his own...

Rob

• zands
    12 years ago

bradflorida --- maybe a tablespoon per month of slow release fertilizer for small potted plant and skip fertilizer in November, December, January the slow biological months

bsbullie-- all depends what the mix in pot is and whether it is (or is not) straight normal garden soil. Or the mix is fast draining