Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnappi_gw

Muscadines on CLEARANCE?

gnappi
12 years ago

That big home improvement store in West Boca (in SE Florida their name rhymes with BLOWS :-) ) has Muscadines on clearance for $5 each. Many have fruit on them already!!

Comments (5)

• zands
    12 years ago

What size pots were they in?

What variety of muscadine are they? The UFO variety? I thought so but I'll try to get up there. Last weekend at Lowes in Coral Springs (near 441) I bought two magnolia figs @$2 each and 3 Sunbelt Grapes @$6 each. All in one gallon pots. I'll up-pot the Sunbelt grapes and see how they do through the winter. They were "invented" by University in Arkansas. They are not muscadine but some kind of Concord hybrid. I think they will fail here due to fungus but I'll give it a try

Ever see this grape grower called "Bad Armadillo"? He makes wine too in Palm Beach County.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bad Armadillo Vineyard

• gnappi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The two I picked up are called "Nesbitt" and "Carlos" One is deep purple the other golden / green when ripe.

The lack of cultivar name is the main problem I have with these big stores, I like to know what I buy in the event I want more or just to tell someone a failure / success of the plant.

Gary

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Zands, I don't think the Sunbelt will survive down here in FL. I am pretty sure it is not Pierce disease resistant, but for $6 it's worth a try. Hopefully you get lucky and it lives for a decent amount of time before being infected.

Here is a link to a nursery that I just bought some grapes from. Their Stover and Daytona are pierce resistant. They also usually have Conquistador but they are out right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: grapes

• zands
    12 years ago

Many thanks G for your advanced muscadine intel. I went to that Boca Raton Lowes and was pleasantly surprised by all the muscadines with identification tags on them saying what variety. I would not trust those ID tags 100% but better than nothing
    I have to read up on each variety and will probably return some. I got two each of these>>>>

Nesbit
    Tara
    Noble
    Carlos
    Plus one no name muscadine that looked very good

You are right that Conquistador looks like the best bunch grape (non muscadine) for down here. Are you actually growing some non-muscadines? Props to your father with his grape growing up north. My father had a very nice mango tree so my mango trees are a tribute to him too.

• zands
    12 years ago

Definitely returning those two "Sunbelt" grapes to Lowes now that I have these muscadines. I have just been reading up on Pierce disease kinda new to me. By and large muscadines are the way to go down here in Florida. They are native to America. Their thick skins make them more fungus and disease resistant