Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simon_grow

Frost protection, thinking ahead

simon_grow
12 years ago

Here in San Diego, we rarely get frost but with the strange weather we've been getting the last couple years, I want to plan ahead. My yard is very small and I think the only thing that might need protection are my Mango trees and my Papaya tree.

I plan on getting two outdoor patio heaters, the type that uses the 20lb tanks that grills use and was wondering if anyone has tried using these for frost protection? They have small heaters that give a heating radius of about 10 ft and I want the gas heaters instead of electric because I don't have any electrical outlets outside.

I figure the days that are likely to get frost are cold clear nights that will not have rain. I don't expect there to be frost on rainy nights because cloud cover typically holds in warmth from the ground and even if it did rain, the rain will prevent frost.

Is this a good idea or is it better to purchase some frost cloth? I've never used frost cloth before so I don't know how well they insulate. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Simon

Comments (2)