Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A darn squirrel stole my Mango!!!

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

That's right...

I was growing a nice healthy Mango fruit about 2 inches in size when I happened to look at the darn critter walking on my fence with my only fruit in it;s mouth!

Ooooh, I was so mad and depressed...I was really getting excited that my first year growing a foot tall tree was going to reward me with a fruit.

Do any critters ever steal your fruit?

Mike

Comments (9)

• brute
    10 years ago

Happens all the time.
    The last straw occurred a couple of months ago during a period when things got real busy at work. I left at 5:30 every morning and didn't come dragging back home until around 6:30 at night. During this time I couldn't find time to patrol my property. The squirrels and coons took full advantage and totally stripped my mango and macadamia trees. This would have been my very first macadamia crop and I had been waiting since 2009 for this tree to begin producing. There were about a dozen nuts and I didn't get any. There were also about a dozen mangoes, and I ended up with one.
    I've been on the warpath ever since.
    Back when I was "Mr. Nice Guy", I tried all the usual non-lethal deterrents like fake owls, shiny hanging objects, cayenne pepper, bird netting, etc.
    Mr. Nice Guy doesn't live here anymore.
    The only answer is the liberal use of a .22 rifle and traps.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Btute, wow I thought I had it bad..lol

I don't blame you one bit there..what a shame, And yet my friends tell me they have to eat too...Ok. let them try growing anything difficult or for years just to be stolen from you...
    Once, I had two peach trees strip down to NO fruit of hundreds for years, until I decided to take the trees down.
    Now, I think I'll do the netting method since the pot and the plant measure about 2 feet...up from the ground total..
    I didn't even think it was possible for a Mango tree to produce fruit so early in the game..
    It started with 6 but all fell off but that one.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

If it's a grafted tree it can produce fruit straight away, although it may not be strong enough to support it. When it comes to animals stripping fruit from my trees, is there a limit to the number of names I can list, LOL.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Mike, I'm SO sorry....I didn't even know you bought a mango tree!! Congrats...Love to see a picture :o)

Been there done that...I lose about 40%-50% of my mangoes to racoons, squirrels, possums and gosh knows what else is lurking in my yard :o(

I even cover them with aluminum window screen and they just chew through them like it was paper!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

They even eat them when they're GREEN!! Grrrr.....

What variety did you get Mike?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

One more...completely green and immature!!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Goodness Nancy!!!! I think I am going to have to keep a watch dog near mine....You hate to laugh, but wow! I never thought any animal would go through such extremes to get a Mango!

I will snap a pic for you as soon as tomorrow...So good to see you friend!
    I can't believe it!

Tropical...lol...I just caught another skunk snooping around my yard..Arg!!!!!

What's next!?

MIke

• Boukmn
    10 years ago

I waited 7 years for my mango to bear grown from seed. This summer it finally gave its first crop. Then, the squirrels descended. I lost 1/3 of the mangoes. Fortunately, the tree got quite large so its first crop was large enough in total numbers so I got fruit. But the squirrels are multiplying. When my ackee tree first began to bear, they got greedy and ate the unopened ones...big mistake. Had few squirrels for a while...not anymore. My guess is the survivors were the smart ones.

I'm with Brute on this one. I am @rming for w@r next mango season!! Pellet g#n in hand and a serious zapper trap. A member on this list (JeffDM) recommended it. It will nuke up to 30 squirrels a day if you have a bad infestation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rat / Squirrel Zapper

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Mike. First off I have to say congrats on buying your mango tree! What variety did you go with? If you bought it from Logees, I know...Cogshall right? With your tree being only a foot tall, I have to say even though it was heart breaking, it was probably best for your tree. I have had egg sized fruit drop from my 3 ft tree. Sadly I feel like I am back pedaling this year with all my citrus and tropical fruits. The damn mites have been worse than ever and citrus that I have had for 3-4 years are almost completely defoliated! I am really upset and am all ready planning on moving everything to a much larger growing area with 100% better ventilation. I just am praying that everything will recover. As of now the only mango I have is my 'Carrie'. I have to say that I truly regret not returning it when I got it.The tree was in poor shape when I got it 3 years ago, and it still is struggling. My biggest absolute worst loss was my 5ft Maha Chinook. I pugged it in the fall(and yes I knew better but I was trying to make sure it would fit in my growing space) and it died on me :( The previous year it bloomed but the fruits aborted and I am positive that if that tree made it, it would have fruited nicley the following summer.

And I too would like to see a picture of your mango tree!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional