Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Just acquired Caimito, Pitaya, Rollnia, Guanabana, and more

Posted by GrowItFromSeed Dominican Repub 11b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 21:51

In this picture you can see:

A cacao tree and black zapote tree that I purchased today for about $2.25 total.

A pitaya cactus, a caimito, two candongo (rollnia,) a grafted mango tree, and two guanabana, that were all gifted to me by a cool guy named Mauricio whom I met on another forum.

If anyone has any growing instructions for any of these varieties, I would much appreciate the recommendations. I am a newbie and I feel like I just got a huge introduction to the hobby. Now its time to go to work!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Just acquired Caimito, Pitaya, Rollnia, Guanabana, and

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 4:10

Nice assortment of plants to start your new hobby with. Very nice of the guy to have gifted you with those free plants. The rollinia is said to be one of the best annona species and it taste like lemon meringue pie. The pitaya is very refreshing and sweet, well this depends on the variety it is. Some are less sweet than other and have watery flavor. It's best to severed them cold out of the fridge chilled. Black sapote is sweet and the inside flesh of fully ripen fruits look like chocolate pudding, however, doesn't actually taste like chocolate at all. Sorry, these are just what I read about them and haven't actually tasted any of the fruits from the variety of trees you have, except mangoes. Mangoes are available everywhere and there are so many varieties, with all kind of different flavor profiles and texture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here