Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Sugar Apple Seedlings

Andrew Scott
14 years ago

I checked my Sugar Apple seeds tonight and noticed that one of the plantings of seeds had a sprout. I took the plastic bag off and had a closer look. I noticed that four of the peat pots had small sprouts emerging. I was so pleased! Now I just need some advice as to what I do next. I figure I will keep them in there little pots for a few weeks. I am wondering about the lighting thoug. I am afraid of them getting leggy from bending towards the sun. I have them right by the brighest window in my apartment. I am going to get my plant table setup for the winter and I will put them under the lights then. I am so excited, finally I have Sugar Apple trees!

Comments (9)

• joy_s
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew
    I guess by Sugar Apple you mean what we call sweetsop (annona squamosa) here in Jamaica. Where is Zone 6? and I know these plants to be a good sized shrub; do you have the space for them? How many seedlings do you have anyway?
    Joy

• barbcoleus
    14 years ago

Are the seeds from me? I didn't know they'd sprout that fast. I think I'll have to try some.

Barb

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Barb,
    How are you? Yes they are your seeds. I sent yo an email just now. I tried earlier but I must have messed up your address, so hopefully you got it now. I did not expect them to grow that quickly either but I placed them in a clean meat tray and put them in a zippy bag. I think the warmth and humidity was the reason why. Thank you so much!! If you want maybe I could send you a tree in the spring when it gets warmer. My way of saying thank you! I know the shipping wont cost me that much.
    Yes Joy they are the Atemoya, and yes the can get quite large but that is not a problem for me. I put them underlights indoors for the winter and put them out during summer. Right now I have a six foot tall Gardenia tree, and a good size collection of tropical fruit trees.

• joy_s
    14 years ago

Good for you!

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I rechecked my potted seeds and all of them are germinating except one Sugar apple, all the Soursop seeds are up now. I was experimenting with germinating Sugar Apple in a damp paper towel with the towel in a zip lock bag. Those have not opened yet either. I will keep those in paper towel for maybe 10 more days, if nothing happens I will throw them out. I certainly have enough seedlings!

• powaydreaming
    13 years ago

Sigh. How I envy you your sweetsop tree. One of my favourite fruits. I brought some seeds with me on my last trip home but sadly, none of them germinated. Hope no FDA officials are reading this forum :-) Does anyone know where I can get some seeds. BTW, I live in the Southern California.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hellow Pow,
    What I have is the soursop and I am pretty sure that they are diffrent. This seedling is very slow growing. Where are you located? It might be worth your money to just buy grafted tree. At this rate, I will be an old man by the time I get fruit, and thats if the seedling doesn't die.
    Andrew

• murahilin
    13 years ago

powaydreaming,
    You can check ebay for some sweetsop seeds. I included a link with the seeds. Check the seller to make sure they are in the US so you will not need a permit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Apple Seeds

• jlrivero813_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

if anyone has sugar apple (anon) seedlings and wants to sale them please call me i need some for grafting 813-401-4014 or 727-565-7957 im joel