Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Moist

Posted by cath41 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 22:37

Has anyone used these gel pellets in pots for plants that like steady moisture? Soil Moist is only one of the brands. I have used it in the garden and been happy with it. It helps the survival of new plantings for the first year or two. However I have not used it in pots. Somewhere I read that it also keeps the soil from becoming too wet because it absorbs excess moisture.
Cath

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Moist

are those the marble sized beads they use for potting medium?

they are alot like hydroponic growing. theres no medium to absord water so there is no chance of root rot however watering and liquid fertilizing needs to be done regularly.

i grow citrus in containers, i am switching from a peat potting based mix to a bonsai mix of equal parts diatomaceous earth (turface MVP), bark fines and growers grit (turkey grit).

its been dubbed Als gritty mix, pretty popular in the citrus forum

o

I use the Soil Moist 'Container Mix Plus' w/mycorrhiza and ferts, I put a pinch in with all my soils. To me it seems to make a difference but there could be many other factors involved. For sure my Hak Ip lychee responded very well to being repotted into new soil that had Soil Moist added to it. I've never taken the time to run controlled studies but adding it cant hurt. I've added to citrus, figs, annonas, artocarpus, salak, Spanish lime, muntingia, cacao, dragon fruit, epiphylum, etc.

-Ethan

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Moist

o

Mango Kush,
In my experience the gel is added to the soil mix. It is not the sole medium. If you add one tablespoon of the gel to one quart of water, in less than one hour the gel will have absorbed all the water and will have filled the container. You wouldn't have to add much to a pot.

I had planned to try Al's gritty mix myself but am having trouble finding the grit.

Ethan,
Thanks for the information. Do you use the gel because you garden in dry conditions?
Cath

o

Cath,
I originally bought it as a source for mycorrhiza, the rest are bonuses for me.

-Ethan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here