Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodog_gw

Mango Masquerade Party

mangodog
12 years ago

OK - For the mango pros out there, tell me again that it IS possible to get a different mango from all the others on the same tree....the last mango on my only producing tree this year waited an additional 3 weeks till it fell off and it was THE largest fruit the tree (Manila) produced this year.

When I opened it up much to my surprise it had less fiber, and a MUCH smaller seed than all the other fruit from that tree. But the most amazing thing was the FLAVOR - it was so complex and fruity and unique from anything else I'd tasted that I just couldn't believe it!!!!!

I cut the embryo out and have planted it, knowing full well it may not come true to seed.

So tell me, could it be a hybrid/new variety?

This mango was faintably different from all the others. Because it shape and color were identical I did not take a picture before cutting it up, but in every other aspect, a real wolf in sheep's clothing.

I mean Harry, Bryan, Jeff,others - you guys with all your diff. mango trees certainly have experienced something like this before, right?????

Comments (11)

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Very weird, maybe its a mutation?

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, NZ - it's either that or perhaps, just perhaps, ripening so late changed the flavor development and seed size and fiber content(?)

If a bee visits another flowering mango in my yard and then visits this tree at flowering time and pollinates it, isn't that what we're potentially talking about - a cross between 2 types of mangos creating a unique third type. I know most of the mangos are self-pollinating and thus this probably just wouldn't happen very often, but I just can't believe some of the big mango growers in our group haven't had this kind of result to date!

I just hope the seed sprouts. But man was it so different than all the others in taste!!!!!!!!!!

dog of mangoness

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Sorry, I can't say that I have ever experienced the phenomenon you encountered. I am beginning to think that there is more to the issue of the pollen source. Of course, this could also be a limb sport issue. I know citrus will produce occasional limb sports....maybe mangoes will too if given the right conditions.

Harry

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hmmmmmm....what's a limb "sport" Harry?

(and PS - are you through eating your mangos? Any left?)

MD

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ahhhh...I found an interesting grapefruit example of "limb sport" by googling:

'Ruby Red' was discovered as a limb sport ( a mutation of one limb which has different fruit characteristics than the rest of the tree) on a 'Pink Marsh' tree in 1929 . . .

mucho fascinating.....

M-Dalmation

• zands
    12 years ago

I would tie a colorful cloth strip on that branch as a marker and see what it produces next year. Mark it off in a few different ways such as with a rope or twine. Nylon and synthetics are more durable under intense sunlight

This kind of situation-- I would be taking notes on. This year I started to keep a fruit and garden log. MS Word is good for that but I use Front Page. I keep a fruit log on my computer and back it up on sugar sync which gives you 5GB free online cloud storage that syncs up with your computer files. IOW a no brainer that you can't screw up on, your backup

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Z - we think alike!!

I already went out and tried to find the branch but it is a big tree with lots of droppy branches intermingled, so I narrowed it down to about 3 and tied a few strings around them for next years production.

The good news is that if it truly is this SPORT LIMB that produced it, it will be one of the last mangos on the tree next year based on what took place this year....

Guess we'll see how it all pans out....also, the seed I've planted from it - that will be interesting to see what happens there, too.....

GaryDog

• adiel
    12 years ago

mangodog, that is pretty cool. I think it has to do with the amount of sun, the temperature change and rain you had. Most likely the less rain this month caused a change in flavor, specifically sweeter since you had less rain. As far as a different mango on the same tree, the only way would have been if the tree had multiple grafts when it was younger. Keep us updated for next year! :)

Palm Springs Weather - High & Low Averages

• zands
    12 years ago

Good going! And good luck next year with those branches. Hope you get the same exceptional mangoes from them

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Adiel - the tree is on a bubbler and i did not change a thing on the water delivery over the last 3 months. We've had NO rain but sprinkles or small showers also over the last 3-4 months. And the temperatures have not varied much at all - slightly cooler perhaps, but really not noticeable, especially during it's long ripenig period.
    But don't get me wrong - chances are it was something environmental that changed the taste. That makes the most sense. (I did fertilize about a month ago with a nice amount of buried fish meal - maybe that???)

The much rarer option would be the Sport Limb thing Harry mentioned.

Only time will tell at this point.....and my memory being intact after the next 12 months of course.....

(I think I could use one of those sport limbs to grow out my out left ear!)

thanks, zands, as well.... Dog of the Mango Clan

• adiel
    12 years ago

I agree, I think it is enviromental. As far as fish meal, yes, that would also affect it by raising the nitrogen level very high.

Adiel

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner