Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Anthracnose on Cogshall?

Andrew Scott
14 years ago

My cogshall mango is geting worse now, I know I should have sprayed it with copper fungicide, but I am going to have to go to Erie PA to find it. I have dark circled all over it now. I hope the spray will get rid of it. I am thinking the anthracnose is responsible for the buds not growing. The fungus is everywhere except leaves. Does anyone have a pic of anthracnose? I would like to see it. I willpost a pic tommorrow so you can see it. I don't want to lose this tree! It is the first mango that I have been able to keep alive this long!

Comments (14)

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope you can see the small circular spots. I noticed on newer wood the spots can come off with fingernail. I am going to go to garden center Monday and buy fungicide.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Andrew, sorry to hear about your mango tree :o(

I'm sure you've googled for pictures to compare it to your tree.

I wish I could help...but I'm not positive what exactly it is. It's very possible its anthracnose? Hopefully, the fungicide will help. Good luck! I wouldn't give up on it, I'm sure it will recover.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I bought a fungicide today that treats a large amount of fungus, and bugs. I sprayed at half strength to be a safe side. I am now hoping that the infestation will decline. I will continue to periodically post to keep everyone updated. Pug, thanks for the encouragement.
    Andrew

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

Andrew, I wouldn't stress out over it. My mango trees (here in Florida) are covered in those small black areas...but only on the new green growth before it has a chance to harden-off and get "woody." And my trees are fine...I spray my mangos with a fungicide; but only the fruit (2X's) and only rarely the tree if it starts to get sooty mold (which is usually the result of scales/mealybugs anyway).

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The spots are actually everywhere except for trunk. I have even noticed it on back of leaves. I just cant lose this tree. This is the most important tree to me in my collection. This is the third time I have tried growing a mango in a pot, and this one has lived the longest. I was concerned because there has been no growth since I have bought the tree in June. I have given it weal fertilizer and slow release but I wont give it more now because I have to move it indoors for winter. Thanks for help.

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Andrew,

What I did with my trees when I see lots of mealybugs and dark spots is to use a water hose and put the spray on jet and spray all of them off. Using one hand holding the leaves and the other spray. This will blast most of them away and faster. Afterward I spray with the fungucides or oil spray. Both you can get at Home Depot. Spray only in the evening when the sun is down. Save to spray when tree is still wet. I like the oil one since it leaves a glossy clean look on the leaves. Make sure you start with lower concentration.

I think my sapodilla have some black thing on it too. Some cover the surface of the leaves and some on the branches...making the whole thing black. I just kept on doing what i did for a couple times and my trees are still looking good. Don't wait too long on bugs or disease to take over you tree. It might kill the tree eventually.

Good luck.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I looked up close to my mango tree today, and noticed the dark spots are still the same, however I have a new growth flush coming on! Finally, this is long overdue. I have not seen any growth on this period! I wish it had happened in the beginning of August, but I cant complain, at least I got it! I do wonder if the fungicide will burn the new growth? I avoided spraying the new growth today. I am also wondering of the frequency I can spray since none of the anthrancose fungicides list mango tree. I wonder why? LOL!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew,

I am not telling you to use this...but just letting you know that My liquid copper fungicide ( by Southern Ag)...I posted the pdf file directions below...does list Mango trees for anthracnose. Scroll all the way down to "Fruit and Nuts"...When I use this I use 1/2 or even a little less than the recommended strength as I've had it burn new growth and blooms before when I use full strength. New growths are very tender and can get damaged easily.

So I can't really recommend an amount for you since yours doesn't list mango trees...can you email or call the company and ask what they suggest...then maybe use half of what they recommend till you see how it responds?

Congrats on your new growths and Good luck with your tree!

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Ag Liquid Copper Fungicide

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They told me that they don't know about mango trees, so they don't know what to tell me. I am trying trial and error right now. So far no damage from fungicide, but not wiping out anthracnose. I also wanted to know if it was a good idea to give it a weak fertilizer solution also. I did that today. I thought it might help right now, as I found a lot of new buds EVERYWHERE! I am just surprised because the weekend lows in NY were into the low 40's range. I did bring it in for that, and thank god we are having a warming period right now. I just hope new growth will not die off when I put it under lights. The room itself is very warm and toasty in the winter. I think my landlord put a larger hot water base board heating unit then the room needed, but I am glad now that she did.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

I wish you the best with your new growths. That is when I fertilize my trees when I see new growths, so I would think
    you applying a light fertilizer should be okay. I wish I could help you with growing indoors. I know nothing about growing tropical trees in the winter. I'm fortunate enough that I only bring them inside a few days a year during a threat of frost or freeze.

Sounds good on your heating unit...should help a lot.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Pug, I was wondering if Southern Ag has a website, I either need to buy a product online, or find a way to get it from someone in Florida. I was wondering though, will the anthracnose dissappear or will it just stop it.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Andrew, In all fairness, I've not used this product in a while. I've been using Excel...but all my trees are outdoors and I know that I would never use this on my trees "if" I had to bring it inside since its a systemic. Its for outdoor trees only I'm sure.

In my experience once the leaves are infected with anthracnose, it doesn't ever go away...but if the treatment works the new growths are usually "free" of it. The old leaves eventually falls off and replaced by the new leaves. That's been my experience.

I think their website is southernag.com. I know that there are other brand out there that might work better for you since you bring your tree indoors, I just wish I knew one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Ag Website

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hopefully I will be down in the Tampa area next year, so I will stock up on some mango necessities, maybe even a new mango. I am really wanting Nam Dac Mai or maybe Ice cream. We will see. I know I will by fertilizers and Fungicides for all my tropicals. Can't wait to go back, especially with the cold weather looming!

• Levelhead73_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Hello, I have a cogshall and a carrie that were infected with soot mildew. I applied python27 and it stopped it but all the leaves were black and looked horrible and I figured that black soot was blocking sun light so I mixed copper spray and dish detergent in a five gallon bucket and washed every leaf front and back, now new growth on both plants they look great! Spray oil every month should keep that soot away for good!