Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annonalover

Rolinia, yes or no?

annonalover
12 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I have a quite a few different tropical fruit trees here in South Florida. I love, annonas! I have a 2 sugar apples (annona squamosa), 1 custard apple (annona reticulata), and Atemoya (Lisa), what I want to know is,,,, should I get a Rolinia? I heard different reports about the fruit. Is it a good choice for a South FL grower? Also, will all these different trees pollinate each other in garden?

Thanks for any feedback,

Vince

Comments (8)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

This question has been discussed previously. Below is a link that you should find of interest. These trees do well in S. FLorida. Can they cross pollinate? Yes, in theory.

Harry

Here is a link that might be useful: Rollinia

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

Rollinia are worth growing here IMO. they are a more cold sensitive anona like guanabana, and may need some micro winter protection

I had one fallen to old man winter

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

My experience with this fruit, someone brought it to me, and said "hey you gotta try this" and he cut it open, when I looked at that slimy looking gelatinous blob of fruit I said no way.

and they kept insisting, so I gave it a try, and I have to say it was dang good.

The consistency and texture is not slimy, or gooey, its like pudding, melts in your mouth, and yes it is lemony.

I purchased a tree right then, and this is from someone that doesn't like Sour Sop ( Guanabana ).

But with any "strange" fruit, it would be best to try one before you plant it in your yard, if space is limited, why waste it on something you may find you do not like later?

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

How easy it will be for you to grow, I don't know, but I say yes. It is one of my favorite tropical fruits.
    It is kind of mushy inside, but I really enjoy the taste. Reminds me of creamy lemon yogurt.

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Harry
    Has your Rollinia produced any fruit yet? I saw a 3 gallon size Rollinia on sale at China-Mart aka Walmart dirt cheap for ($17) but passed on it because I am now intersted in Jackfruit and Lychee... and the cherimoya seedlings I germinated last year are growing nicely and take up enough space.
    (P.S. I'm feeling a lot better today. It took 4 weeks for me to get back to feeling well enough to get back to taking care of my 'babies' again. Spent the afternoon pruning, fertilizing and spraying for pests)
    Marin

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Marin:

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. No, while my Rollinia seemes now to be big enough to carry fruit, it didn't fully mature any so far. It did bloom very nicely this year. There was fruit set. I did try some cross pollination with atemoya and I did try to hand pollinate with its own pollen where I found receptive flowers. The fruits that were set got to be about the size of a small grape. Then, without warning, they all turned black and dropped. It was a very dry time when this happened, but I thought that I had provided enough irrigation to offset the dryness. So, its a wait until next year. I did see a wayward bloom on the tree this week, but with only one bloom there will never be fruit set. Stay tuned.

Harry

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

I believe Harry mentioned a while back that there are Rollinias and then there are those mucosa that lives up to it's nick name of snot fruit. The rollinias we just had in PR were nothing like that. They were awesome.

• marinfla
    12 years ago

The 4 1/2 hour surgery I had at University of Miami 4 weeks ago was for very severe sinus problems/infections ..... I have had enough issues with 'snot' to last me a life time or two!! No 'snot' fruit for me...might gag :)