Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amrkhalido

Any nurseries shipping

amrkhalido
13 years ago

Anyone knows reputable nurseries shipping outside of the USA.

I got no problem with the customs and need no certificates.

Thanks for any help though

Comments (33)

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hello amrkhalido,

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Plant-O-Gram. I have purchased a lot of Fruit Trees from then and I have always been Happy. Mickey, the owner, has written the book on Customer Service. He really goes the extra mile, and out of his way, to make sure that his Customers are happy. He will even go out and take several pictures of several different specimens so that you can choose exactly which tree you wish to purchase.

You can ask any of the many members who have used Plant-O-Gram and they will tell you the same thing - That Plant-O-Gram is Absolutely Terrific! Follow the link below and check out their Website or Give Mickey a call, his Cell Phone Number is listed on the Website. He always answers his Cell Phone. Happy Hunting and I hope this has been helpful.

- Jacob

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant-O-Gram

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

out of curiosity what type of trees are you looking for?

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thx jacob for your recommendation, i will give it a look to see wether they are shipping to Egypt or not, and are u located in the USA?

mango kush: i am interested in lychee, longan, cacao, starfruit, jaboticaba, rambutan, and i want to get them all grafted or airlayered, it depends.

thx for replying and i hope anyone with info to help,

BTW fruitlovers have good varieties but they dont ship overseas,

Thx, Amr

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

there is Sadhu of Govardhan Gardens and Brain from Montoso in Puerto Rico, not sure if they ship international.

off topic but since you are from Egypt, what are most popular mango varieties where you are from? are you familiar with Zebda and how would you rate it, does it have fiber?

someone once told me Chaunsa was the big cultivar there but i have never seen a specimen here in the US

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mango kush, thx for the reply, i will check them out anyway.
    regarding the zebda variety i dont like it, i have hundreds of mango trees, am gwoing zebda actually but not for eating but for making juice, its better this way.
    the best varieties in Egypt is a variety called "Ewais" or can be called also "Aweas" its the most favourite round here then followed by "Fons", maybe its what you spelled it but i dont know.
    we also cultivate keit, kent, and hundreds of other types.
    if you need pictures or anything tell me and i shall be glad to help
    http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7223/copyofpicture048.jpg
    http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3281/dscf8360.jpg
    this is the ewais

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3395/cimg0108r.jpg
    this one is called "Sedika" it is the second best for me, it is way better than any other type you would taste in the states, everytime i visited the states i missed egyptian mangoes over tommy and other us varieties :D

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

That's a good dose of the "I've got some good news and bad news" scenario. When I went to Pine Island a while back (best estimate is 7 years ago but I may be off) they announced the arrival of three Egyptian mango cultivars. Two were Eweis and Zebdah and I can't recall the other. I was trying to be conservative....not wanting to get too over board on mango plantings, and I asked them what they knew about them. At that time, they didn't know very much, but did say that they were told that Eweis was the best of the three. So, of course, I got one. Since that time, I have aquired a Zebdah as well and I am sorry to hear that it is only good for juice. Eweis has fruited for me, but no where as prolifically as the ones posted in this thread. It is a good mango, but it hasn't cracked the top tier of mangoes in the tastings that I have brought it to. Based upon how it is fruiting in the pictures, I would assume that it prefers drier conditions than what I can provide for it here in Florida. Perhaps that even affects the flavor of the fruit. Thanks for posting.

Harry

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

Amr,

check this out:

http://www.fruit.co.il/fruit/Forms/en/AboutUs.aspx

They are located in Israel. They don't ship, but they told that if I visit them, they can bare-root and pack the plants for me (but no phytosanitaria certifice).

I guess the climate in Egypt and Canary Islands should be very similar: no low temparatures, few rain, heat in summer.. if it's the case, you can forget about rambutan, unless you grow it in a greenhouse ;-)

By the way, are there some places for buying fruit trees in Egypt (mangos, annonas...)

Regards,

Felipe

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Harry, was the third Heidi?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bryan:

"Heidi" isn't setting off any memory alarms in my head. I'll ask them at Pine Island next time I am there.

Harry

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

harry ,, Sedika too is a great variety ,, and yes mango requires in Egypt some dry season in the winter with no watering ,, and maybe the Ewais tree you have is not original ,, the Ewais has a very thin seed which make this variety popular ,, its sweet and the seed is too thin like a paper sometimes,, Zebda have the same smell of Ewais but different in flavour ,, it have a little salty taste in it i think ,,

Felipe ,, i will ask for you ,, there is a company and they ship in peatmoss but i dont know wether any certificates is needed for canary islands or not ,, and they are specialized in mango and olive and grape

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

Amr,

thank you! To me it would also be a possibility to travel myself to Egypt and pic up the plants. I'm not interested in olive and grape, but in mango and other tropical/subtropical fruit trees.

Here is the link of a online nursery in Tenerife. I don't know if the send plants to Egypt, you would have to ask:

http://www.canarius.com/

I asked this other famous nursery in Florida some time ago, if the ship plants internationally. They told me no. But I recently checked their website and it looks like they do ship internationally again:

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/

Felipe

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

Also there is another online nursery in Malaga, Spain. I don't know if they ship internationally. They have 18 litchi cultivars an 5 longan varieties (among other fruit trees). I already bought from them and I was happy with the plants they sent me:

http://tienda.semillaslaexotica.com/epages/eb2863.sf/es_ES/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eb2863/Categories/Plants/Frutales

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

The Eweis in your pictures do seem to be longer than the ones that I have. Are both trees pictured from the same tree? Is there any variability in the length versus the roundness of the fruits? In the first picture, they seem more round than long. Or is that an optical illusion?
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

These, I have never seen before.

{{!gwi}}

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

I want both cultivars :-)

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Has anyone heard of the 'naomi'? It's supposed to be a really good Egyptian cultivar whose patent recently ran out.

Jeff

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Naomi was created by a cultivation program in Israel.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

'Naomi' mango

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i know naomi but dont prefer it either ,, all of these including tommy and naomi and kent are kinda same in taste and structure,, if u like any i think u will like the rese ,,
    hmhausman the ewais mango looks the same in both pics ,, it may be optical illusion ,, the fruit is kinda oval and some kind of tall relatively with being oval as it have very thin seed so its like thin oval from the sides ,,, and the second one with the red cheek is excellent in taste and sweetness although its big in size ,, maybe from 500 to 800 grams ,,
    this trees are not mine its for a trees in a nearby farm ,, my tress i didnt bother to take pics for as mangoes are very common in Egypt and its not a WOW to have a mango or guava or pomegranate trees or even date palms ,, everyone have nearly all this collection ,, including apple custard or sugar apple and loquat ,,,
    on the other hand , lychees and longans and mangosteen and jackfruit and durian and cherry trees are rally rare to have or even un known about except recently when the international demand increases about them (in export chance point of view ) ,,
    am trying with some nurseries to see the possibility of shipping internationally including a nursery which someone told me about it in the beginning of the discussion ( plantogram) ,,
    Amr

• abayomi
    13 years ago

Thanks amrkhalido for starting this thread. Similar to you have have been on a hunt for exporters with the added clause in my case of nematode tests and phyto-certs required plus lots of other requirements - trees less than 2 years old, extremely small pot sizes allowed or else bareroot. Oh and I can't do Florida, Texas due to pink hibiscus mealy bug.

In all my searching, and trust me I've searched a lot, I have yet to find a tropical shipper that can do it. But I know there are some. A friend got trees shipped from a nursery in Cali - I am trying to find out which one.

I can do Europe so am curious to follow the posted links.

Back to Egypt, what is the feasibility of securing seed for some of these storied varieties?

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

abayomi: i cant get what you mean by storied varieties (you mean mango or trees that i want) ,,,
    and i noticed that bermuda have a lot of restrictions and refuses dealing with certain states ,, unfortunate for you ,, hope you find someone in florida so that i can get him to ship me too ,,
    god be with both of us :D ,,
    Amr

• abayomi
    13 years ago

Amr.
    I should clarify: I was asking for advice on getting my hands on seeds from the various mango types you mention from Egypt.

My take on the Bermuda restrictions are just a means for us to cultivate perserverence, patience, selection skills, propagation skills and FULL appreciation for fruit when it comes 15 years down the road....

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

great that you appreciate your countries laws and regulations ,,, i wouldnt do that if i was in your place ,,'
    and regarding the seeds, i think you know that the resulting tree will be different than the original variety ,,
    anyway if you are still interested i can ask for you regarding the postage how and any other requirements and i can send you seeds as there is no seed companies in Egypt because the mango trees is super super cheap (grafted varieties by any type i mention or you mention or anyone could mention wont exceed 15 EGP or 3$ ,, so no one bothers himself with seeds anyway ,,
    Amr

• abayomi
    13 years ago

Thanks! yes I need seed and am aware of the unpredictability involved....I'll send u a personal message...

• abayomi
    13 years ago

actually i see the forum setting isn't enabled to send you an email...so how can I contact u offline?

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

Amr,

I'm planing to go to Egypt in a few month. Can you tell me where I can find good nurseries for mango (which location)? Do you know, if they sell the cultivar 'Alphonso/Alphonse'?

Thanks,

Felipe

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

you can find it anywhere actually, but guaranteed variety and cheap price you can find it in reputable nurseries, anyway when you come tell me and i will tell you the directions to good nurseries, and if you come in march or april there is a exhibition where all hundreds of nurseries shows their products in the same place rather than going to them to their kinda remote locations for a tourist.

Amr

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

Thanks Amr! My last questions is: to which airport should I head to? Which is the best mango region in Egypt?

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

are u totally coming for mangoes?
    if so you can come to cairo then go to a selected nurseries near cairo, as nurseries tend to prefer large spaces and sandy soil (better for fruit trees) so you wont find good nurseries in the city (but you can head to the nurseries of the ministry of agriculture, its in cairo mid town).

Amr

• abayomi
    12 years ago

As it relates to securing grafted trees (or any plant material other than seeds) where I live, the following applies:

REGULATED COUNTRIES DUE TO PINK HIBISCUS MEALYBUG INFESTATION

Due to the threat of the Pink Hibiscus Mealybug (Maconellicoccus hirsutus) please observe the following:

PLANT MATERIAL, FRESH FRUITS AND VEGETABLES ARE PROHIBITED ENTRY FROM AREAS WHERE THIS PEST IS KNOWN TO BE PRESENT.

IMPORT PERMITS WILL NOT BE ISSUED FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS:

ASIA � Bangladesh, Brunei, Darussalam, Cambodia, China (Guangdong, Hong Kong, Macao, Shanxi, Xizhang, Yuunan), India (widespread), Indonesia (widespread), Japan (Ryukyu), Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Tawian, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Yemen.

AFRICA � Benin, Burkin, Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Cote d�Ivoire, Egypt, Gabon, Gambia, Kenya, Liberia, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Seychelle, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania (including Zanzibar), Zaire, Zambia.

NORTH AMERICA � Mexico, California (Imperial County), Florida, Hawaii, Texas (south-eastern sea board).

CENTRAL AMERICA & CARIBBEAN � Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Puerto Rico, St. Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, US Virgin Islands.

SOUTH AMERICA � French Guiana, Guyana, Suriname, Venezuela.

OCEANIA � Australia (Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia), Guam, Micronesia, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Western Samoa.

Importation from all areas are prohibited unless exceptional circumstances are observed (Tissue culture or hot water treatment). Please contact the Department of Environmental Protection for further information.

(Suggestions for other locations that deal with phyto sanitary certs are always welcome)

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Amr - a totally unrelated question. What is the name of that branching palm tree (the only one that does I understand) that has a brown pod of a fruit that tastes a lot like gingerbread? I've been meaning to ask you for awhile, as I may want to order one! I tasted some that had fallen and thought it pretty interesting....and I'm SURE they must use it in cooking over there....

I think it begins with a "D"...

mangodog

(ps-hope this trial of Mubarek isn't too much of a distraction from your country really getting on to a healthy democratic and financial tract of recovery!)

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hyphaene thebaica - Doum Palm

Its mainly used in making juice ,,

And i like wat u say about distracting the revolution by this trial ,,

Amr

• mangodog
    12 years ago

wow - you smothered that answer!

Thanks. I thought it was the coolest looking palm - does it just grow wild like a weed, or is it cultivated?

the revolution.....yeah, don't let it lose steam.....

mangojackal

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ,, and yes It grows from seed ,, it dont need to be cultivated like date palms ,,

Amr