Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potted mango tree mix?

Posted by Tyga Colorado (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 0:25

Hello, I just ordered a pickering and carrie mango trees. I of course plan on growing them in a pot, what is the best potting mix for these trees ? Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potted mango tree mix?

• Posted by Tyga none (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 0:34

Also what is the appropriate fertalizer for these mango trees?

o
RE: potted mango tree mix?

Congrats on your new Mango trees...make sure what ever potting mix you use that it drains well, you can add some of these ingredients to help make the mix porous and drain freely... perlite, small pieces of fir or pine bark, crushed granite. If you do a search you will find many different mix that people use. Don't use a mix that stay wet and takes a long time to dry especially since your mango tree will be living indoors for several months in the winter... mango roots don't do well in soggy soils...it could cause root rot.

As far as fertilizer goes, you can use slow release like Osmocote or something similar or use 1/2 strength balanced liquid fertilizer or Dyna Gro Foliage Pro, many other great ones out there as well. Just use it at a "weak" solution so you don't over fertilize...young mango trees don't like to be over fertilized. Fish emulsion is another good one to use...again at about half of the recommended dosage. Once the weather warms up and you can bring them outdoors and the tree is growing you can fertilize them a little more often...usually in the winter I would not fertilize them often and only lightly...

Good luck!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here