Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstontexas123

oct mango bloom

houstontexas123
12 years ago

nam doc mai in bloom again, bloomed back in aug also.

Comments (5)

• mangodog
    12 years ago

So....Houston - was it that other branch that bloomed in August or both? And did you pluck the blooms off from the August infloresence, or did they just fall off......Did the Aug. blooms ever produce any mangos....

Mine didn't....anyway, yeah, it's a little strange so late in the year, but then again it's still in a pot...that could have something to do with it, too....

mangoD

• houstontexas123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the previous bloom was on the middle branch closest the camera. there were a few tiny fruit that fell off when they got to about 2-3mm in size. i'd have cut them off early anyways, the trunk is barely thick enough to support the weight of the branches. we had some storms the past few weeks, the old bamboo stakes the trees came with broke. so restaked them with 1/2" pvc pipes.

my Glenn is still pretty skinny and can't hold itself up at all. the Lancetilla has gotten much thicker and can support its own weight, but i staked it anyways, just to be cautious.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Have you done any pruning or pugging of the skinny Glenn?
    The Nam Doc Mai I also would nip the end branch or even cut it back 10-12 inches or so to get it to send out 3-5 new shoots. i've just gotten in to creating more of a scaffold for future branching early on in the life of my trees.

Thats just my opinion though, Harry and others like the trees to just grow and branch on their own naturally. My first and oldest tree - Manila - I just let grow tall and it ended up just fine (was staked though for a long time) It does have some big droopy branches, but that doesn't seem to effect productivity at all......

Good luck Houston - over and OUT!

MangoControl

• houstontexas123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i havent done any pruning yet, since this is the 1st year i've had them. when i bought them at the nursery, i looked for the thickest trunk for each variety, and most of them were pugged at a height of about 24"

i like the short bushy look of some of the trees i've seen posted in this forum. i'll prob let the branches get a bit thicker then cut the ends to get more branching later on.

here's a pic of the Glenn, the trunk is skinnier than the 1/2" pvc pipe. the Lancetilla is slightly thicker than the pvc pipe.

• zands
    12 years ago

I have had two NDM in pots that loved to put out panicles and tiny fruits. Other mangoes can do it too. I call it "pot panic". The NDM feels in danger in a too small pot so it goes into reproduction mode so that its lineage (and genes) lives on even if it dies

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!