Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First coffee roasting

Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 1:48

I've been growing coffee for over 3 years and never had enough coffee cherries to get a sufficient amount to roast, grind and brew it.

This year two of my 8 bushes are producing a large crop and tonight I FINALLY made coffee. I used an old vintage Melitta roaster, a BURR grinder and brewed just like store bought.

What a surprise! it had an almost nutty flavor, and I've read that the taste changes a lot with longer or shorter roasting times.

Now when I watch TV, I busy myself pulling the skins off and preparing them for roasting. It's a PITA but worth it! When all of my bushes are producing I'll have to find a better method of husking the cherries though, any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First coffee roasting

How fast do they grow for you,and how much sun do they take? I have one that's two years old..but not more then 10". A seedling from Lowes. Looks nice,but slow. I wonder if part sun is too shady here? Maybe full sun.

o

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 5:24

Most on the ones that are producing now were larger than yours when I bought them.

I have half in full sun and the rest in shade. The ones in sun seem to produce more and grow faster. Mine are in the ground a bit over 3 years and are 4'-5' tall.

Be patient, they take off around 3 years if they're in the ground and get enough water.

o

Do you eat the cherries? I have 3 trees about 2' tall in a pot. No flowers yet, so no fruit. I'm curious about how the cherries taste.

o

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 20:58

The beans / seeds I haven't tasted but the cherry shell is sweet but insipid. I'm surprised ants don't go after them.

o

The ones I've tasted in the past were rather pleasant, like a sweeter, softer rose hip. It sounds like that is a variable trait. Too bad.

o

Thanks Gnapp. I had always thought they were shade plants. My previous tries were shade in pots. They died by December. The new one is in part sun ground and,If I add more,then a even sunnier spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here