Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacob13_gw

Coconut Cream & Lemon Zest

jacob13
12 years ago

Hello Friends,

So I just received my 2 Mango Trees and they arrived in Excellent Condition. I got a "Coconut Cream" and a "Lemon Zest", aka 27-1, aka Orange Sherbert. They were shipped on Monday and arrived early Wednesday Morning, so they were in transit for a very short time. They are absolutely beautiful and surprisingly large. In the Pots, they are between 4' to 5' feet tall, and branching out nicely on their own.

"Coconut Cream" Mango Tree

{{gwi:1331227}}

"Coconut Cream" Mango Tree Up Close

{{gwi:1331228}}

"Lemon Zest" Mango Tree

{{gwi:1331229}}

{{gwi:1331231}}

"Lemon Zest" Mango Tree Up Close

{{gwi:1331233}}

As you can see they are very nice and healthy trees. I am very excited. I think I may be the only one on the West Coast with a "Coconut Cream" Mango Tree.

I thought I would also include this picture of my "White's" Cherimoya tree. It is fruiting right now so I thought that I would include a picture of it just for the heck of it.

{{gwi:1331235}}

I will take some more Pictures to give an update of happenings in my yard.

Thanks,

Jacob

Comments (16)

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Nice pics, Jacob. Where did you order the mango trees from? I'm interested in the Coconut Cream.

BTW, how's the Violette de Bourdeaux fig & Pakistani mulberry cuttings doing?

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

That's an awesome acquisition, Jacob. Congrats buddy!!!
    Yes, please do share the info...

Tim

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Very nice, Jacob. They did a fantastic job of shipping, didn't they!

Jeff

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Jacob,

Congrats on the mangoes, I am looking to add a mango tree sometime soon. Perhaps will try these new Zill trees soon. How are all the cuttings/divisions doing?

• jacob13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Friends,

Thanks for all of the Nice Comments.

Rodney - I got the trees from Florida. As for the Fig, the cutting has been planted, but have not seen any growth. As for the Mulberry, I still haven't taken a cutting as the tree is still so small and grew little to nothing this past summer.

esco_socal - Thank again, I will take plenty more pictures and try and get them up tonight.

Jeff - Thanks again my friend for all of your help, and Yes, they did an awesome job of packaging and shipping the trees. They were way bigger than I had expected and in Excellent condition upon arrival. I have found that usually the larger packages/trees are prone to more damage. However, they did such a Great job that they were perfect!

Stephen - Hey Buddy, Good to hear from you. The cuttings are doing great, thanks again.

Again, I will try to get more pictures up of everything in a last Hurrah before everything goes back into the Greenhouses for the Winter.

- Jacob

• jacob13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the update. As much as I am excited about the Coconut Cream, I am really starting to become excited about the "Lemon Zest" and am looking forward to eventually tasting one. You have really sold me on this one, and I am increasingly intrigued. Unfortunately, as I have said in many posts in the past, our access to these varietes out here on the West Coast is very limited if not Non-existent. So, I will have to wait a few years before getting to taste either of these Mangos. Thanks again for everything.

- Jacob

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Jacob,

Good to hear everything is doing great. I was going to ask you about the DF cutting, was it Ben Hoa Red? Would be interested in a trade, will email you.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Stehen,

No, it is called "Arizona Purple". And not to worry, you don't have to trade me anything, you've got this one coming. I will get the cutting out to you in the next few days, and send you the information on that Banana I gave you as Well.

- Jacob

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Jacob,

Thanks btw, I should have interesting accessions of Opuntia ficus indica shipped to me soon. If all goes well, will have extra pads producing in a couple months. Most of the fruit was selected with Brix around 13-15, large fruit, low seed count, and small seeds.generation to make clones of.

Tell me if your interested in some pads, eventually will be starting a small scale breeding effort to find superior F1 crosses to clone pads of.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Stephen,

You are becoming the "Man" when it comes to Cactus. Sounds very interesting and you've got the know how to pull it off. Good Luck!

Jacob

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Jacob - amazingly healthy trees! As I've mentioned before I'm a cocoNUT afecionado, so the CC Mango holds a magnet to my wallet...Wish Mimosa in East L.A. would get them in. I'll be there next month with JF during their half off sale to see what's cookin'

Good luck with them - and you're where in So Cal? Sorry I just keep forgetting where everyone is. (Santa Barbara would be my first memory guess!)

Remember Mary Ann would torture Gilligan with her COCONUT CREAM pies????? That would be good name for a coconut flavored mango - the GILLIGAN mango....lol

mangowoofie

• jacob13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Mango Perro,

Thanks for Noticing. I to am a Coconut aficionado, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to be getting my hands on one, and to top it off, its a Mango.....a Mango that taste like Coconut!! Yes, I am in Santa Barbara. When are you and JF heading down to Mimosa? I also make the Fall/Winter trip for their sale. Maybe we all can make a day of it and I can meet you both down there and grab some lunch or dinner after we are finished. It would give us the opportunity to corner the owner and ask him to start ordering from Zill's Nursery. E-mail me, and I can let you know how I was able to get the Mango trees and from whom. Talk to you soon..

Jacob

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Jacob,

both of your trees look great! You are welcome to join MD and I at Mimosa in Nov.I was thinking of grabbing lunch at Porto's in Downey or Glendale...MD has not finally which date he wants to go. Here is a pic of my LZ new growth....I'm looking for this tree to fruit in a couple of years. Congratulations, again!

JF

• TnTRobbie
    12 years ago

JF, since when did you get a LZ!?! YOU'RE killing me :D . Congrats.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi Robbie,

I got my LZ two months ago, we'll see if this mango tree works out here in Socal.

JF

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area