Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnappi_gw

Multi Cultivar trees

gnappi
12 years ago

I have several varieties of trees in doubles of different cultivars because I like the having different fruits like Carambola, Lychee, mango and guava.

Recently citrus trees have come out in "fruit salad" varieties where several cultivars are grafted on one trunk.

Has anyone done this with the trees above? I'd think some of you would have tried this?

Gary

Comments (11)

• zands
    12 years ago

$149 is what the "cocktail" multi citrus trees were at HD. Huge pot, may be 10-15 gallon. One grafted branch was Honeybell which needs a pollinator tree (like certain tangerines) which I suppose it will get from one of the other grafts on that multi. This needs verification. Be sure to keep your receipt from HD and Lowes with their one-year return policy. Citrus is vulnerable

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Hi Gary - I've had a 5-in-1 citrus for 5 years now. I had to cut out completely the lemon - WAY too aggresive, and I cut the mandarin orange off as i have a whole big tree of them. That left a navel and valencia orange and lime.

It's really too much to have more than 3 on one tree in my opinion. Anyway, the limes are good, the navel's have been a little watery but sweet (was told to water less as they ripen) and the valencia is growing in to the huge space that the lemon took up, and only has a couple fruits on it now.....

MD

• gnappi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was actually asking about fruits other than Citrus. Those are at HD all the time :-)

Has anyone done multi grafting with Carambola, Mango, lychee and Guava?

• guajiro
    12 years ago

Last week I grafted about 9 Cushman mango scions onto my Gold Nugget mango tree (both late season July-Aug), but I'm sure that all the rain we've been getting will not help them heal properly.
    Has anyone else had luck grafting different varieties onto their trees?
    I will keep you guys posted if they do take.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I have done avocado with 4 culitvars and mango with 2. I have a friend who had about 10 mango cultivars on one tree. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to really keep everything in balance and poroductive. But it can be done.
    Avocado seems easier to manage than mango for some reason.

Harry

• sleep
    12 years ago

I topworked/multigrafted a fairly mature Turpentine. Mun Khun See, Pim Saen Mun, Florigon, Glenn, Val-carrie, and Carrie all on the same tree. It was sort of an experiment, and not well thought out, but so far it has done well .. Jury still out on fruiting though, as it has only produced Glenn and Florigon thus far ...

• gnappi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW!!!

"it has only produced Glenn and Florigon thus far"

I have wondered about this since I started seeing those fruit salad citrus trees a while back. Just think about the potential! This approach may get a longer fruiting season, and freedom of a space limitation for those with small properties to have more than one selection.

• sleep
    12 years ago

Took a walk around my yard this afternoon and realized/remembered I also have done

1. Rosigold, Mallika, Carrie
    2. Cogshall, NamDocMai, Carrie
    3. Nam Doc Mai, Mulgoba

None of those have produced, but the grafts have done really well and are about 1 year old. I should have some good results to report next season .

Also going to attempt over time to make a Tebow/27-1/Coconut Cream...

I think the whole concept is really cool, and for those with limited space it is a real nice solution to having multi-cultivars. All it really takes is time and practice with the grafting, expect many failures, and a good supply of budwood.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

I HATE GRAFTING!!!!!!!!

(cuz I'm a failure at it....)

Hurting MangoDog

• SoCALivan
    12 years ago

I have a young KEITT Mango tree, still young only about 4 ft tall. I want to graft 2 different types of mango to it, does any one have any suggestions on which type i should graft? my local Lowe's usually has a large variety of mango trees. thankx

• johnb51
    12 years ago

You know, you can also plant more than one tree in one big hole. That's what Dave Wilson Nursery in CA recommends. You can do that with avocados and probably mangoes, too. You just have to prune them so they all remain the same size and keep the center open to sunlight, and not let the trees get too tall. This approach is better and easier than grafting.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional