Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zands_gw

Planting two varieties of mango trees in the same hole

zands
13 years ago

Has anyone done this? Is it a disaster? One savvy person (Murray Corman in Broward county) told me it can be done. How about a red fruit and green fruit tree planted together that produce at the same time? That would look nice. Or how about two trees that fruit in different months? Might get some random grafting going on if branches make strong contact. Mangoes want sunlight. Two trees will shade each other so less production per tree I suppose. But with space limitations ..... Maybe it's the way to go.

How about a mango hedge? Anyone ever see one? I have seen banana hedges locally

Comments (14)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I have seen it and have done it once. Generally, I think it is better than multi-grafting a single tree. So the idea that allowing the trees in the same hole to join kind of defeats the benefit of the multi-tree in same hole advantage over multi-grafting. Grafting multiple varieties on one tree can cause some shift in the overall blooming/fruiting cycle for one or both of the trees. Other than the shading issue, which you have in both situations, this doe not happen with individual trees in the same hole. I have only one multi-tree in one hole planted. Mine are seedlings of my Maha Chanook mango. I have planted out three in one hole, Two seedlings have bloomed now for two years in a row, but the third has not bloomed as of yet. So far, no fruit has set on either of the trees that bloomed. I'm hoping the thrid year will be the definitive year for fruting. I haven't ever seen a mango hedge. With some varieties it would be possible. I would say Pickering would be a good candidate for this if you were going to try it.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Mango hedges can definitely be done, Pine Island has a tight row of mango trees on their property they prune tall and square for a windbreak, they are about 20 foot tall.

my 6 asian mangos are all lined similarly on my property 12 foot apart and i plan to make them into a tall hedge, maybe 12 foot, about to the roof of my house. the shade will probably decrease productivity, but mangos will still produce, ive seen mangos fruit in very shaded parts of a canopy.

im going to put up a 5 foot fenceline behind them (thats the neighbors house to the left) and prune them so the canopy only drapes over my side, in between them i plan to plant beds of pineapple

the only worry i have is a tree with all the canopy weight on one side will be more susceptible to wind damage.

• jun_
    13 years ago

mango kush, did you paint those caterpillars? lol, so cute!

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

yep, its what a weekend of boredom does to my right brain

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

lmao...that's so cool. My daughter would appreciate that so much. Look at the shading & details on them elephants.

Tim

• cocobananas
    13 years ago

this nursery is all about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: backyard orchard culture

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Love them Mangokush..they are SO adorable!

• zands
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@Kush

I like the elephants. It's almost an MC Escher "there not there" illusion

Thanks for all replies from you and Hmhausman on planting two young (3 gallon optimum I would think) mangoes in the same space/hole and on mango hedges

I saw the Pine Island nursery mango hedge cum windbreak. That's a 25ft hedge. Pickering must be the way to go on a 3-6ft hedge

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

lol,The Elephants is great garden art. I might steal the idea...

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

well since i succesfully hijacked this thread, theyre pretty straightforward to make, i primed them with killz, used basic acyrlic paints, (red, blue, yellow, black, white) mix them pretty easily to create any color.

use brushes that are stiff and use the texture of the concrete for shading using dry brush strokes.

the elephants you have to make a stencil, use pencil, paint, then use sharpie marker for the final outline

the paint dries fast too so you can easily redo or touch them up

• passiflorapond
    13 years ago

The paintings are so creative! What a great idea! I love it :)

• Omelio
    12 years ago

I made the mistake of planting two mango trees about 10' apart about 7 years ago, there was an oak tree to the left one of them, the oak tree has grown tremendously and between it and the other mango tree they shade it a lot, although it is the tallest and fullest it hardly bears fruit, three mangos last year and about seven this one, the one on the right gives me hundreds of mangos on the areas not shaded by the other one.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

What varieties of mango trees are we talking about?

Harry

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Nice artwork MangoKush.

I know harry accomplished having multiple mango trees in one hole with the maha-chinook seedlings, but I wouldn't do it. Maybe an expert can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think having individual fruit trees close together can cause competition for nutrients, causing fruit quality not to be as good as, lets just say, a regular single fruit tree distanced properly away from the other.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz