Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajaysr5

Oct. So. California tropical fruit update

ajaysr5
12 years ago

Here are some pics of my trees still holding fruits.

Nam Doc Mai mango

Dr.White cherimoya

Honeyhart cherimoya

Wax Jambu (Red)

Lancetilla Mango

Comments (19)

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Nice looking mangoes, wax jambu looks great as well. Everything grown in containers?

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks,the only one in container is the mango and the other
    ones are in the ground.The mangoes will go on the ground
    next spring.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

I agree, everything is looking great and tasty. You still have wax jambu, mine were harvested a month(ish) ago, maybe my heat?

Good luck with the harvest,
    -Ethan

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Ajay - those 4 nam doc's just have sweet juice written all over them! Wow, but so late in the season. Of my two Keitt mangos, one fell off, hard as a rock, and the other larger one is still on the tree......

But this is a good thing, right? Mangos later in the season once our early/mid bearing ones are through....

you GOTTA take a pic when you cut one of those open - mmmmm...mmmmmm......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SloppyDogMango

• TnTRobbie
    12 years ago

Nice fruits. I can't wait for my Lancetilla to bear. What is the age and height of the Wax Jambu tree? So much trees I want. So little space :) .

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

For other Cherimoya growers out there, when you water your trees, do you only water the base or do you kind of give the whole thing a shower?

I use to only water the base (a good amount) and things looked allright and during heatwaves I would get a lot of wilting. Then, after the freak rainstorms we had last week, I noticed that everything (including the fruit) seemed to look a lot healther and greener with all that water that hit the plant itself. So I've started giving it a light shower on the leaves/branches and gotten improvement.

Is that what I should have been doing all along?

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

All those fruit look awesome!

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hey ajaysr5, did you harvest all your mangoes and cherimoyas yet? How did they taste?
    Simon

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

yeah,its close to the November update and some eating news-lol.
    btw,My Subelle Sapote finally got too big..the day came when I had to take a hedge trimmer to her. How I wish I could plant and never have to trim my plant menagerie on a large lot. I even hedged back my Avocado's lower branches. City lot gardening.

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Simon grow,the lancetilla was sweet and has no fiber at all.
    I think it could have been sweeter if I could have leave it acouple
    of more days to ripen.The nam doc mai mango was just picked
    yesterday and will have to finished ripening up in the bag.
    Wax Jambu is very sweet and has a texture like water melon,very watery and refreshing.The cherimoyas still on the tree
    they are only a little smaller than tennis ball
    size at this moment.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Ajay:

Where did you get your wax jambu and what cultivar are they. I have grown 5 different cultivars over the years and have tasted several others along the way and have yet to taste a wax jambu that I could remotely use the words "sweet taste" in my description of them. They have all been watery and I guess refreshing, but sweetness has been about at the level of a canned water chestnut.

Harry

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Harry

"sweetness has been about at the level of a canned water chestnut."

That sounds more savory then sweet :)

This is the way I feel about dragon fruit. I hear people say how sweet they are yet I have yet to taste one I would categorize as sweet.

Rob

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Your fruit trees are absolutely beautiful. I'm glad to hear that your lancitla was sweet and fiberless. I was a little concerned that mangoes ripen too late here in socal. I love the refreshing taste of wax Jambu. The majority of wax Jambu I've eaten we're pretty sweet, not super sweet but you can definitely taste sweetness. Keep up the great gardening and let us know how the nam doc Mai's taste.
    Simon

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Rob, I tasted my first ripe Giant Vietnamese dragonfruit and it was very sweet. I was anxiously awaiting the right time to chop it off and decided yesterday was best. Very sweet and I love the crunchy seeds. They give texture like puffed rice. I think it just depends on when the dragonfruit are picked.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

And then we only talk about FRESH fruit..some of this stuff might be great dried to concentrate flavor.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Rob:

My description.....savory or not, is definitely not sweet and that was my point.

Dragonfruit is an entirely different matter. While I have had my share of bland, tasteless Dragonfruits, I have had ones that were genuinely sweet. American Beauty in particular has been one of the sweetest I have tried.

Harry

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

Yeah, someone once told me that the reason most stores only carry the giant white vietnamese version was becuase they are durable and that's what the people wanted. So when you get them at the store they are way under-ripe and have no flavor but people buy them.

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hmhausman,I got my wax jambu a couple of years
    ago from nipahut. Actually this is were I got all
    my mangotree also.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Nice fruit trees ajaysr5. They look very healthy.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional