Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradflorida

New lychee variety

bradflorida
12 years ago

Speaking of new varieties, I will be ordering a Poamoho lychee today from Frankie's Nursery in Hawaii.

The Poamoho Research Station was the place where Hak Ip seedling that was very productive and regular, which came to be called Kaimana, was selected. That was in 1982.

Frankie himself recently selected another very productive, previously unnamed seedling (different than Kaimana), and named it simply Poamoho.

I will try to get more information on the "heritage" of this Poamoho variety when I speak with someone from the Nursery today.

I will be ordering 1 Kaimana and 1 Poamoho tree today from them. I will post pics when they arrive. They also have a variety called Sam Ut Hung, which sounded interesting (not because of the awful name) but then I read that the branches are very brittle and break easily, and that the fruit quality was just average. It is one of the earliest varieties in Hawaii which is what makes it desirable.

I will also be picking up a healthy looking Ohia from Pepe's this weekend.

Brad

Comments (7)

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also, I read that out of 14 different cultivars studied in the past 110 years in Hawaii, Kaimana had the most consistent bearing habit and produced heavily.

Brad

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Thats what I was saying in that there are probably a lot of varieties that are unknown to us here. By the way, keep in mind, productivity of a lychee grown on Hawaii or down under will not have much bearing on the productivity here. As you know, productivity and quality can vary greatly even in SFla from city to city. county to county...

Rob

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Sounds interesting. Might give me a reason to make a Frankies order again this year.

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had read that the number of chilling hours of a particular region had a lot to do with production.

Therefore, for instance, if Kaimana was fruiting well in Southeast Florida (harry's yard), as well as Hawaii (even less chilling hours), than I would do even better in SW Florida.

The lady at Frankie's Nursery said most of the varieties don't do well on the island, because they don't have enough chilling hours. But Kaimana and this Poamoho (a seedling of Hak Ip) variety have done well.

All in all, once I have a few varieties, something is bound to produce each year :)

Brad

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Brad - did your readings give a definition/range for "chilling" hours ? I know sever winter cold in SFla can have an effect on fruiting as can late season (late Fall) storms that may contain damaging winds to branches.

Did it say anything about which varieties have a positive reaction from a "chill" (fruit production, size, quality, etc.)?

I would think the more trees you have planted, whether just one single variety or multiple varieties, will give better odds to have fruit production each and every year. Unfortunately, many of us have limited space and must rely on the odds of one or two trees providing our bounty for that short harvesting season come early summer.

Rob

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

im hoping my sweetheart bears again this year although weve been getting a lot of late season rain which isnt good.

they were amazing this year, sweet, sub acid with a floral aftertaste, they were huge and not leaky, golf ball size with mostly aborted seeds. no way comparable to any other variety i sampled, its on a whole different scale. im waiting to judge its productivity.

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Mango Kush, I was wondering if the rain was going to screw up the lychees down south. All of my trees are putting out growth flushes right now so I think I might be out of luck for any fruit this year.