Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexcortez

Sri Lankan Weevil aka Asian Grey Weevil

alexcortez
12 years ago

Good morning,

I was talking yesterday to one of the Homestead Organic growers and he was lamenting about the Sri Lankan Weevil aka Asian Grey weevil aka Myllocerus undecimpustulatus undatus Marshall. After a lot of research I barely found anything on it. So I thought I'd share the little I found as it may be useful for those who are struggling to eradicate it. Best to all.

Sri Lanka Weevil aka Asian Grey weevil (Myllocerus undecimpustulatus undatus Marshall)

Sri Lankan Weevil were introduced in the year 2000 to Florida from Sri Lanka and has been spreading throughout Florida Counties. Currently it is found in at least 12 Florida Counties. http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/mannion/pdfs/SriLankaWeevil.pdf

It is highly resistant to chemicals, probably because it eats leaves of plants that are often laced with pesticides.

This weevil has been spotted feeding on a very wide range of host plants and the list is growing with over 100 plants registered as hosts. The list includes tropical fruit trees, ornamental plants, palms, citrus, and upland cotton.

http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/mannion/pdfs/SriLankaWeevil.pdf http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/UsefulLawnandGardenResources/SriLankaWeevilupdate2008.pdf

Organic growers simply find the weevil on the leaves and crush it by hand. Some report that the best time to find them is early morning and others say early evening.

Vaccuming may be effective at reducing the population.

The larvae pupate in the soil and are root feeders although the type of root is unknown. Hence some have suggested that mulching over the grass will ultimately remove the available food source, once the roots are dead. This will then lead to a reduction in the population in the long term. ** jeffhagen 10B **

Since these weevils may also be feeding on the roots of the trees, it is important to improve the soil structure to enable the regeneration of roots. Source: http://www.cpcri.gov.in/farmer.htm. Neem cake, or the residue from oil extraction from neem, may be spread around the base of the tree for such use. Neem cake is slow release and has been shown to increase earthworm population, and plant parasitic nematode control.

Currently there is experimentation on the use of nematodes for control.

http://www.floridagardener.com/img/critters/Insect_Pests/Myllocerus.htm

http://senchug.ac.affrc.go.jp/JJN/31/31_19_25Ekanayake.pdf

For a video you can see the following link

Here is a link that might be useful: Live Sri Lankan Weevil

Comments (16)

• TnTRobbie
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I found two mating under my julie mango leaves this week. And at another location under someone elses mango tree- mating. Death by squashing. They are quite crunchy. It has to be mating season for them. They also eat Sapodilla tree leaves and choose the young ones.

• murahilin
    12 years ago

I used the beneficial nematodes to control the root weevil a few years ago. I think it seemed to work because I stopped seeing them after a while. Can't be 100% sure that was the cause of their demise but I don't spray anything else in the yard.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Geez, I am surprised nobody said to use the search function :)

Besides the nematodes, squash method, "leave it alone" and remove the sod schools of thought, Sevin works well (for those who don't mind using chemicals). The key is to not just spray the leaves but to drench the ground around the plants.

Rob

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

theyre a very prevalent pest.. they seemed to be a lot worse here two seasons ago, I have a feeling our inordinately frigid winters have put a dent in their population

• murahilin
    12 years ago

I really don't think Sevin is the best thing to use. It is a possible carcinogen that has also been linked to other sicknesses in humans and animals. I think there are other means of control that aren't so harmful that should be used instead of dangerous chemicals.

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA Carcinogens

• alexcortez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi bsbullie,
    I actually read a published article that shows that a short while after massive application, the bugs were back.. so in my opinion it is not worth using chemicals if this is going to be a constant repeat application.

murahilin: nematodes seem to control other weevils so it seems worth a try although clearly we do not know which nematode will be beneficial in this case.

mango kush: you are right. Apparently the bug reproduces like crazy in hot weather but slows down in cold weather.

All: Here is one more thing that works with other weevils and that may work for trees:

"Adult weevils can be controlled by using sticky barriers on the trunks of affected plants, as the weevils return to the soil each day."

Best to everyone.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Yah - I've seen the same thing with the cuban may beetle: chemicals barely make a dent in their populations.

The sticky barrier sounds like a fantastic idea. Unlike the cuban may beetle, the sri lankan satan weevil cannot fly.

Jeff

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

yea, that's the very same method used to control non-flying insects from destroying ripening figs. There's a product out there called TANGLEFOOT, but if you're a Macgyver-esque, you can reverse wrap the tree trunk with a big roll of tape :) works very well!!!

Tim

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

murahilin: You said it's been several years, but could you advise me as far as choosing a beneficial nematode.
    I'm kind of desperate, as the infestation has completely stunted all my newer, potentially yummy, mango trees.

• murahilin
    12 years ago

mangomandan,
    I used Steinernema feltiae but recently I bought the combo pack with Steinernema carpocapsae for my mom's lawn. I think you should get the combo pack because it will cover a much wider range of pests and give you a greater chance of conquering your weevil problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beneficial Nematodes

• murahilin
    12 years ago

One thing I forgot to mention, the combo pack is either Sc or Sf you can't get both in a combo pack so you should get the combo pack with the Sf instead of the Sc. Since there is a sale you could probably get some Sc also just in case.

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

Thanks. I just ordered a combo pack, and some Tanglefoot for good measure. For the good of my Maha the weevils must die.

• mikesid
    12 years ago

Ok, all you organic enthusiasts plug your ears...I only did this because of the warm winters and knew I wasn't going to get any fruits on my Lychees. I planted my trees and pretty much disregarded all care due to complete demo and rebuild of the house I moved into...After looking at my Lychees one day I realized all the leaves were chewed apart and come to find out it was the Sri Lanka weevil..I spent many mornings picking this insect of and squishing them...even recruited my daughter to assist...After seeing the weevil multiply uncontrollably I went for Sevin...with only temporary relief..I found something in my garage I had purchased for mosquitos at the last house I rented called Cutter backyard bug control...I used in combination with neeem oil... Iwent from seeing about 50 weevils on my plants a day to maybe one a week...anyway I know its not organic so please dont lecture me but I something had ti give...

• barbra123
    7 years ago

Just FYI... the Sri Lanka weevil CAN fly. So sticky barriers may trap a few but certainly not all. They can fly to other areas to infest plants.

Adults can be killed. Even if you rid yourself of the adult, the eggs, pupae and larva are still in the ground and don't respond to what killed the adult.

As much as I like organic, I would use whatever I could find to get rid of ALL the life stages of these nasty things on my ornamentals.

• gnappi
    7 years ago

:-) I have been deaking with these little pests for several months now on my lychee. Every night I took a few minutes to scrunch them with a plier, and from a few dozen nightly I am down to less than 6.

I also started sprinkling powdered sevin last week in the hopes it will get the hatchings.

Af far as them flying, I have seen them "fly " in a downward spiral or arc for some distance MANY times over the last few months but never upward.