pikorazi

Canarian update

pikorazi
12 years ago

Hi friends,

here a few pictures made on september:

Pitanga

Spondias pinnata, a very fast grower.

Jambul (S. cumini), also a very fast grower.

Musa cv. Lady Finger

Chirimoya. Because my brother made the pictures, I'm not sure about the cultivar. It should be 'Madeira', but my brother said, he made the picture from a Fino de Jete tree... hmmmm...

Anon (Annona sp.). I bought this one two years ago as an 'Anon'. In spanish that would be A. squamosa, but this doesn't look like A. squamosa at all! I think I will have to wait untill it flowers and fruits to find out what it could be...

Longan cv. Haew

Longan cv. Si Chompoo

Musa cv. Blue Java

Musa cv. Manzano

Tuna (Opuntia sp.)

Caimito

Carambola cv. Sri Kembangan

Canistel cv. Bruce

Sweet Tamarind

Chirimoya cv. Fino de Jete. The irregular shape it due to the natural pollination, manual was not made. The yellow colour should be because of too much sun. Anyways, the fruit were very big and the quality excellent!

Chirimoya cv. fino de Jete

Green Sapote, two years old, after pruning.

Black Sapote. This grafted one is a slow grower. Maybe because it produces a lot?!

Guanabana

Manilkara discolor, an exotic from Africa, known as forest milk berry. I've never tasted it. Let's hope for the best ;-)

Wax Jambu from airlayer, in ground since last April. Is doing fine, like all my other Syzygiums..

Sapodilla, also from airlayer and planted last April. I will take away the shade cloth. I think it is ready for full sun...

Macadamia

Mamoncillo, the deffinition of a slow grower. I put this plant in gound last December. I put a shade protection, because I thought being a young plant... a friend told me that they love heat (don't need high humidity). Then probably, as a sapindacea, it is also a sun-junkie like litchi and longan. So i think that is the key.

Felipe

Comments (18)

• esco_socal
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Everything is looking great, Felipe. The shade cloth seems to work really well for your Wax Jambu, mine is out in full sun with some burnt tips and have a really dark shade of green.

Tim

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tim! Yes, this shade cloth protections are a great thing. Over here we have pretty hot 6 month season. Sun is strong and by day humidity can drop to 30-40%. Also it can sometimer be windy. For young plants comming out of the nursery, these are hard conditions. I found out, that with the protections, plants develop much faster! And after 1-2 years, when they are well stablished, I take the off.

Right now I have two types of cloth, the green one, which filters 60% of light, and a clear one. Sun loving plants get the clear one. Here is the example of a Kaimana lychee:

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Nice pictures, makes me want to move to the canary islands. Seems to be a beautiful and remote area. The fruit forest will look amazing in 10 years.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

The anon looks like a cherimoya. Nice pics! My grandmother's family on my mom's side were from the Canary Islands.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Felipe

Congratulations, you got some healthy looking trees!Boy, that landscape looks like the Mojave Desert were MangoDog lives. I am interested in your Green Sapote, if I remember, that's a seedling, correct? I remember you telling me that you pugged it to promote branching, right? You have pretty loose soil from what I could see in the pics, great for mangos and everything else.

JF

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Well done. The canarius nursery is not ready to do business - i have been trying for months - so your pics are as close as I can get right now to buying grafted trees.

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nullzero, yes, it is a beautiful place, but not too remote. it's a protected agricultural area, so you can only build a house if you have an orchad. so in the valley there are not too many neighbours/houses. unfortunatelly due to work i'm living in germany :-(

tropicalgrower, the leaves look like chirimoya, the structure of the plant looks to me a little atipical. but whats is different to chirimoya is the slow growth rate. chirimoyas planted at the same time are much bigger... yes, over the centuries there has been a lot of migration between america and canary islands. in bad times, many folks when to america and caribbean. right now things are bad (we are the worst region in spain: unemployment, healthcare, education.. ), so many people are emigrating (specially latinamerican immigrants back to their origins).

jf, over here it is not as hot as md's place, but it is bone dry! so after the summer, everything without irrigation is dry. yes, that is one of my three green sapote seedlings (seeds form hawaii). as you can see, the pugging experiment was a success :-) the soil structure is nice, but the quality is not that good after years of commercial agriculture. i'm trying to improve the soil with all the compost and mulch i can get. meanwhile i have to use fertilizers..

thanks abayomi! did you import plants for them? i don't know whats up with canarius. you can try with this two other nurseries in malaga:

http://frutalestropicales.com/
    http://tienda.semillaslaexotica.com/

but, why don't you try with scions instead of plants? wouldn't that be easier?

• nullzero
    12 years ago

pikorazi,

I take it you have groundwater wells? What kind of precipitation per year do you get at the orchard?

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Scions would be cheaper. For sure. Getting good rootstock is another matter though. I will check out the recommended nurseries. Do you know if they do phytos?

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nullzero,

average rainfall per year is only 140mm, which falls in winter. my grandfather, who lived in this area, had water from a well. today we get agricultural water from dams. this is the dam were i get my water from (the picuter was taken after heavy rains):

{{gwi:1331375}}

abayomi, your climate is pretty humid and rainy, right? i don't thing the canarian gomera rootstock would be the best choice. i rather would raise seedlings from any vigorous non-grafted mango in your area.. i don't know if they do phytos.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Very nice!

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Hi Felipe - JF took the words right out my mouth - it looks VERY similar to places around here and near the desert. But as you said, nowhere near as hot. You do get almost exactly the same amount of rain as we get - 140mm = 5.5 inches. How hot does it get in the summer and what are the winters like?

Everything looks great. Did I hear you or someone mention a mango might come in to the picture soon? That would be cool to see how they do there.....

Any other tropical fruit growers in your area? You should start a club or something.

Buena Suertea amigoman!

mangoRabid

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Pikorazi,
    Humid yes. Temps stay between 55 and 93. Windy winters. Rain every month. Avg 55 inches per year. +90% humidity is common. Gomera is no good for this? Better o know now than later. I am on the hunt for asian varieties from seed now....

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hola mangoperro!

in winter the temperature never drops below 53 degrees (by night). average (by day) temperature in winter must be around 77 degrees. in summer the average should be around 97, but occasionally we can get heat waves for a few days. in thoses cases it gets very hot and dry.

mangos do very well over here. i'll try to post some pics in a few days.

a club would be difficult right now, because 1. i'm not living on the island, 2. there are not to many people interested in/growing tropical and exotic fruit (and not at my level/with my interest). so right now i'm networking from the distance and whem i'm on the island i try to introduce people to this 'drug' by sharing information and plants.

abayomi,

i don't now of studies with gomera rootstock in humid climates. i do know, that it's the best rootstock for the canary islands (soil and climate), where it doesn't rain too much. i would think, that asian mangos would be better suited...

• adiel
    12 years ago

pikorazi, have you tried growing mangosteen in your climate? I think it might be possible with the right shadecloth and watering.

Adiel

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

adiel,

i haven't tried it, but in a research station for tropical crops on our neighbour island, they tried a few times with a few plants without success. i think there are 3 reasons why it doesn't work: 1. humidity is not high enough, 2. it is not hot enough during the cooler month, 3. it does not like the small fluctuations between day and night temperature (between 5 and 10 degrees celsius). what i've seen in the tropics, is that there is hardly no difference between day/night temperature..

• adiel
    12 years ago

pikorazi, thank you for sharing that great info! At least they tried. :)

Adiel

• Hansell Ceballo
    10 months ago

Pikorazi You are still active in these portals, I would like to contact you and see the evolution of your trees, I live in the Canary Islands I am Cuban and I am a lover of tropical trees I have some not as many as you, but I would like to share experiences and you who already have more time in this some tips thanks