Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnappi_gw

Guava Varieties

gnappi
12 years ago

Yesterday I ate my first lemon guava and really liked eating it out of hand. I have a few pink and red varieties but this lemon one made me want some different types to add to my yard.

Does anyone know where to get some of the harder to find varieties like the pineapple, strawberry (pink), or "Egyptian" Thai / Bangkok white Giant?

Comments (15)

• zands
    12 years ago

I was at Flamingo Rd nursery (http://www.flamingoroadnursery.com/) 14 days ago and bought huge cattleya guava for $10. I bought one of three that were there over by the citrus and mangoes towards the back. Plant I got is 3ft wide and 2 ft high. Spreading out so close to the ground. In a one gallon pot

cattleya guava is on the label on side of the pot. It does not say strawberry but according to internet they are the same

There is lots of good citrus deals at Flamingo Rd Nursery. Lots of Meyer Lemon and large Persian Limes, Satsumas. Good prices for the sizes sold. Matter of fact Lowes is inundated with citrus, must be that time of year or maybe with (maybe) double dip recession the growers are unloading stock to raise cash.

Lowes at Turtle Creek yesterday-- saw lots of very nice Clementine tangerine and Honeybell tangelos (also called Minneola tangelo) Honeybell needs a pollinator such as Dancy which is a great old tough tangerine. For me Honeybell is the ultimate of all tangerines and oranges. It is a Dancy x grapefruit cross. I have honeybell and Dancy growing.

Mandarins and Tangerines: a Directory of Varieties
    http://www.rickharrison.com/texts/info/mandarins.html

Here is a link that might be useful: photos Strawberry cattleya guava

• zands
    12 years ago

cattleya guava is on the label on side of the pot.>>>>>>>>>

Just took a look and cattleya guava is actually in a 3 gallon pot maybe a 2 gallon pot

• pepperot
    12 years ago

The Vietnamese Giant guava seems to grow fairly true from seeds. Just purchase the fruit and wait about a year.

-Tom

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Here in California pineapple and red strawberry are fairly common. You can find them in Lowes or Home Depot. I'm giving away my pineapple guava tree I don't like the flavor. Right now I am harvesting Indian Red, Hong Kong Pink, Tropical Pink, Red Malaysian and Thai Maroon. here are pics:

Indian Red,Red Malaysian and Tropical Pink

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Jfernandez,
    What do you think about the flavor of the Red Malaysian? The color is very interesting.

• squam256
    12 years ago

Doesn't look as seedy as the others either.

• zands
    12 years ago

JFernan
    All your guava look at peek pink perfection when cut open. Have you ever run them through a juicer and see what you get? Is it juice or a thick mush?

Z

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

murahilin - Red Malaysian has the rich sweet guava flavor, mildly tart, few seeds. I don't let it fall of the tree I like this one a bit crunchy. It's one of the best tasting guavas I have. It's definitely worth growing.

Zands and Squam - I only juice the tropical pink with apple juice and strawberry but we also make guava shells, paste and marmalade.

JF

• gnappi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"The Vietnamese Giant guava seems to grow fairly true from seeds. Just purchase the fruit and wait about a year. "

I have never seen one, if I did I would try growing it :-)

• zands
    12 years ago

Ebay has people selling giant guava plants and seeds

Here is a link that might be useful: giant guava plants and seeds

• zands
    12 years ago

JFernan--- did you use a juicer (and what kind) to juice that guava?

BsB -- Actually the biggest citrus problem is chlorosis not lack of cold weather. My Dancy tangerines get sweeter as you let them hang through the cold months. I moved my Dancy right next to my Honeybell which so far has blossomed but not fruited due to lack of a pollinator tree

• gnappi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the suggestions.

On my "quest" I went to Pine Island and picked up a "Thai giant" to Bender's grove and found a "Peruvian white" guava, and to Flaming road for the Strawberry Guava.

The Thai is but 4' tall and has three huge (compared to my other guavas) fruits on it that I'm looking forward to harvesting. The worker at Pine Island said it was his fave guava.

Thanks again,

Gary

• zands
    12 years ago

Flamingo road nursery for the Strawberry Guava.
    Wasn't that a great deal for $10 in a 3 gallon pot? I'll bet those strawberry
    guava (Cattley guava) been languishing there
    Bender's Grove in Davie where you also got guava---ÃÂ nice guy. All his
    stuff is from Pine Island Nursery(so it seems) and is a wide variety of tropicals including
    mamey and June plum. I bought muscadines from him and if you work with him he
    can get other Pine Island stuff and save a long trip to Homestead (where Pine Island Nursery is)

ÃÂ

• rorero1962
    11 years ago

Asian Guava tree ... I own what I beleive to be an Asian guava tree in Anaheim California... The fruit is about the size of an apple. and the shape also looks like an apple.

I started some trees from cuttings of my asian guava tree. I will put them up for sale as soon as they start flowering.