Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tntrobbie

Two Sapodillas

TnTRobbie
12 years ago

Hi All,

I have an 3gal Oxkutzcab (Ox) variety and am looking to add another specie (Alano) to combat the Ox mabye being self incompatiable (havent seen a neighbouring sapodilla tree), and they both produce more fruit through cross-pollination. However, their "seasons" don't match.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg057

Ox - May to Sept

Alano - Nov to June

So, will this plan be futile since their flowering seasons would be consecutive (ox then Alano)? I'm unsure how often they flower throughout the year. Thanks.

Comments (17)

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Harry would have to answer this one. But I think they flower at roughly the same time. The difference in harvest time could be due to the length of time from flower to harvest.

Jeff

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Jeff. I'll go ahead and add the Alano.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi TnTRobbie,

How big are those 3 gallon Sapodillas? I like to get an Alano could you post a pic?

JF

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't seen the Alano as of yet. I'll let you know on Wednesday when I check em out. My Ox is abbit over 3 ft tall and fast growing. New leaf sets popping up at the tips almost every 7-11 days.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

TnTRobbie

Our 3 gallon sapodillas, in Souther California, are tiny with trunks about the size of a pencil. I have a Hasya and a Silas Woods they grow very slowly however my Hasya has had two growth flush and flowered twice in the last few months.....I hope this time around it will hold some fruits. Very informative link, thanks.

JF

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Jfernandez,

Where did you get Silas Woods from?

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Checked out the Alanos today at Bender's Grove in
    Davie FL. Bender had Alanos and Makoks in 3G. P.I.N source with the tags. I was surprised at their height. I didnt expect the mto be so tall for 3Gal. Almost 5' 4" on the ground and very leggy with whippy limbs. Gusts from this present "cold front" in SoFLa is gonna do some damage to this tree.

{{gwi:1331467}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'd say the circumfrence of the trunk is about 1 to 1.5 inches around.
    {{gwi:1331468}}

Oxkutzcab (3ft) in front of the Alano
    {{gwi:1331469}}

{{gwi:1331470}}

Ox's new leaf pattern. Emerges as a half fold blade, then unfolds piece by piece from the tip down. Really beautiful.
    {{gwi:1331471}}

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

very nice Robby

Man, I check out Bender's Grove website. I can believe it, $35 for 3 gallon!Here in Socal we are getting JACKED. We pay about $160 for a lousy 4 footer!!!that's extortion! the nursery owners in california should be in jail!

JF

• rodneys
    12 years ago

JF, I bought my 3 gal Hasya sapodilla from Champa nursery for either $52 or $54.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hello Rodney

Orange and Apples, can you compare yours to Robbies? I doubt it. I've never been to Champa but I know of three nurseries, one in East LA, another one in Granada Hills and SanDiego, who sell Nisperos the same size as Robby for $160, if you don't believe it go and check.... you know who they are.

JF

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess we're lucky in SoFla. Though one nursery wanted $65 for a rough looking 3gal Makok barely 2 ft tall. Sure glad I found Bender's Grove. Don't know if you know, but you can use localharvest.com to find nurseies near you via a zipcode search.
    Two days in the full sun and my Alano's leaves are a healthy deep matte green. Still deciding on the best location with maximum sun exposure to plant it :) .

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Robbie

You don't know how lucky you guys are. Your sapodillas look very healthy and in a few years I'm sure you'll get some fruits. Here is my Haysa and Silas Woods.

Silas Woods

Haysa

second time it has flowered..back to back

• TnTRobbie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks jf. I hope to get fruits sooner. Mabye 1 to 2 years :D. But mostly in 1. I Hope.

Those are some nice healthy trees you've got there as well. I like the compactness of the Haysa. Did you train/prune them that way? I hope you get fruitS on this second flowering. I love sapodillas. And mangoes. If I could squeese two more mango bushes (Dot and Maha), I'd be set :) .

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Robbie-

I read sapodillas can flower without holding fruits for its first two years but once it hits it produces like crazy. No, I have not pruned the tree I think it just grows that way. I've been paying attention to that Maha Chanook, Dot thread. Harry and his Florida crew sure know how to pick a mango.

JF

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Young Saps are known not to bear/hold too many fruit. will be a few years, maybe up to five or so till it really gets going with a full crop. They grow pretty steadily up to about 15 feet, by that time you should be getting full crop of fruit with the vegetative growth, height-wise, barely noticeable.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

wow,I was hoping to keep my at 8-10 feet! I have a Vietnamese friend in Garden Grove that has several sapodilla trees for 6-7 years that have been fruiting the last few years.I'll go check him out in the next few weeks.

JF

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Here's my Hasya that I bought in a 3 gal pot for $52-$54 during the summer. I repotted it into a 5 gallon when I brought it home. I've observed good growth from it, with lateral branches forming. It seems to be healthy & doing well (knock on wood).

{{gwi:1331476}}

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia