Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

Thailand

ohiojay
12 years ago

As most of you know, my wife's family is in Thailand and we also have land ourselves over there. You've probably all seen on the news or in the papers the devastating floods that are covering most of the country. Despite what you may see or hear, it is much worse than you can believe.

There is basically no food in the stores. Over four thousand million cubic meters of water has been released from the north...and more coming every day. The gov't is trying to divert the water away from the down town area of Bangkok sending the water east and west. The majority of these areas are under water...six feet and more.

My father-in-law build his home in a outer suburb of Bangkok which was a little higher than most. When he had the home built, he also had the foresight to elevate the home as well. Right now, the water is one step from entering their first floor. This means the water level there is roughly 5+ feet. Also means that every other house in the area probably has water already touching the ceilings.

The water is completely still and quite stagnant. Fish and even loose crocs/alligators are dying in that water. Mosquitoes are swarming like mad. The folks got out on Friday but my wife's brother and his wife stayed behind to try and keep the water out and a-holes from looting. They are now pretty much trapped for the next month. People are basically living on Ramen noodles. Water is really too dirty to wash anything. You are supposed to bag your waste seeing that toilets are probably useless at this point.

Our land...even farther outside bangkok...with all of my cool trees planted? Submerged. You probably couldn't see many of the trees. The little house the folks built up top and very elevated now has water at the tiled lower level...this is probably around 10 feet higher than where most of the trees are planted.

Everywhere we went on vacation to see the wonderful farms are now under water. Years and years worth of growing, many people's livelyhood, will be wiped out. Many of the trees can handle being flooded for a short time. Not many can stand it for nearly a month.

Comments (11)