Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigstick62

Help to identify this mango tree

Bigstick62
11 years ago

In 2004 my wife went to Publix and bought a mango. It was soooo good she came home and planted the seed in our backyard. Today we have this wonderful tree with sweet and (purple) tasty mangoes with no fiber. However, we have always wondered what mango variety is this. Can you help us in identifying this tree? Thanks for your help

Comments (17)

• Bigstick62
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Harry:
    Thanks for your response. The picture shown was taken around July 4th earlier this year. It is currently not fruiting and has some new growth after we harvested all the yummy and delicious fruit. Just wanted to show it fruiting in case that would help someone to recognize it. If it also helps, the seed was very thin and flat. It is growing in Port Saint Lucie in Florida, which is north of Stuart, and south of Indian River county. Hope this helps.

• hmhausman
    11 years ago

The mango shape and coloration is not distinct enough to really give a reliable ID of parentage just from a picture. The tree is producing nicely and based on when the picture was taken, is obviously a mid-season mango. Do you remember what the original mango looked like and when it was purchased. I'm sure you didn't note where it was imported from. With mango being imported from all over Mexico and Central America, there can be mangoes availble in Publix that totally differ in the fruiting season for those same varieties here in Florida. I am guessing that the fruit you had from which this seed was taken was either a Keitt, Kent, Haden or Tommy Atkins mango as those are the most common ones you would find in Publix. The tree you now have is a seedling of one of those and is its own unique individual.

Harry

• Bigstick62
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Harry, you have been a tremendous help. I googled a couple of the mangoes you mentioned and it looks very to be very close to how the Tommy Atkins looks. I say that because of the purple color, but then again you never know. I can hardly wait till next season to harvest some more :)

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

With how well that one is fruiting you can freeze a lot of them so you have them over a longer period.

• Bigstick62
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It truly is a prolific bearer of mangoes. The picture above shows the remaining fruits on the tree AFTER we had a freak wind event. My kids were able to fill a recycle bin full of mangoes (mostly half ripe) that were blown off the tree :) Still researching to try and find out the variety. All suggestions are welcome. Harry has given some very helpful insight!

• gardenofthegods
    9 years ago

Dear Bigstick62,

The fruit shape and color, and tree branch structure is definitely a Osteen mango tree. (Mangifera Indica). You have the Florida variety, which bears mature fruit purple in color. The Spanish variety (European) has similiar branch structure, but fruit has some yellow color when mature. Beautiful tree..lucky you!

• shepard.KSA
    9 years ago

Bigstick62, your mangoo tree looks so healthy. If I may ask, how long did it take it to bear fruit from the day you guys planted it?

• Paul
    5 years ago

I picked up this mystery grafted mango at a local nursery in Los Angeles. Wondering if anyone here might know what kind it is/the approximate age? Thanks!

• Hardeep Punni
    4 years ago

Its a kent variety of mango

• Samuel Sasson
    2 years ago

does anyone know what kind of mango this is?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    2 years ago

My guess would depend whether you are in Florida or California. If Florida,too many types to guess.

• Samuel Sasson
    2 years ago

you guessed Florida

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    2 years ago

In California that would be a very healthy Manila Mango. IF purple it could be Valencia Pride. Two of the most common here. Where you are,anything that can take high humidity grows like a weed!

• Christine Calzadilla
    2 years ago

Can anyone help me identify this mango? We moved into a house with an established tree and these fell from the tree today. Some fiber and sweet but not overly sweet. We are in South Florida.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    2 years ago

Christine Calzadilla, several mangoes resemble that. Especially 'Turpentine' which is often used as a rootstock.

• Maria Ryan
    last year

I'm in Central Florida, Orlando zone 9b. I've had this mango tree since 2013. It's fruit is sweet. round in shape & no fibers. Can you identify which mango it is?

Thank you.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?