Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluepalm_gw

Coconut flavored mango

bluepalm
15 years ago

FYI, I had several Southern Blush mangos this year...they had a distinctive coconut thread in the flavor...not overpowering but definitely there. I personally don't care too much for the taste of coconut, but I still enjoyed the mangos. The Julie mango is known to have the coconut flavor...any others that anyone knows of?

Comments (19)

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Gerry and I had some from PIN when we were down there but I cannot remember the name of the variety. It smelled wonderful and tasted really good too. I just couldn't eat too much at one sitting...the flavors were really out there.

• north_tree_man
    15 years ago

When I was at the Fruit & Spice park, I tried a sample that had wonderful overtones of coconut, but the sample was unlabeled and no one could ID it. Immediately following the tour, I dragged my woman through the Mango groves tasting every bunny/insect-riddled mango I could find. To my amazement, I found that a lot of the Phillipino varieties had the same coconut flavor, but weren't as good as the sample. I believe it was a Nam Doc Mai at the sampling desk, and it was superb!

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

I've got nam doc mai and don't recall any coconut flavor at all. Maybe Gerry can remember which it was. Ger??

• north_tree_man
    15 years ago

I definitely need to make another trip down there for the specific purpose of tasting mangoes. I, very well, could be wrong on the Nam Doc Mai, but that sample was out of this world. Maybe we should all converge on Fairchild next year during the mango tasting. How many mango cultivars did you and Gerry get to taste at Pine Island, Jay?

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

There was like 3-4 at the time and for the life of me cannot remember a single name!!

Would love to go to FL next year but I believe I will be getting "dragged" to Thailand around that time. At least that is around the only time I will go because of all the fruit that is in season.

• lycheeluva
    15 years ago

poor poor jay- has to go to thailand next year- my heart bleeds for him-

as for the mangoes we tasted at PI-

Haden and Tommy Atkins (which according to PI is a Haden seedling). They both had definite coconut undertones which i like). We tasted a couple of others but I cant recall the varities.

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Yeah...it's a tough gig but someone has to do it!

• warrior25
    15 years ago

The coconut flavored mango is called "Pickering"

• dghays
    15 years ago

Julie has had by far the most distinctive coconut taste to me, and was the best tasting mango I ever had, topping around 30 or more varieties I've tasted. Valencia Pride has a fairly noteworthy coconut aspect also. I haven't detected it in Nam Doc Mai, which is a Thai mango, but each person can get something different from a taste.

Gary

• jerry43
    15 years ago

Any info on Pickering? I didn't come up with any in a Google search.

• bonsaist
    15 years ago

The Ice cream mango is suppose to up a seedling of Julie mango. My guess it tastes very similar to Julie with the hint of Coconuts.

Bass

• dghays
    15 years ago

Another cool Julie seedling is a Graham, its a top notch dwarf mango. Not sure if it has coconut flavor or not. My Graham is finally growing a bit now, only 5 or 6' tall.

Gary

• dansul
    15 years ago

I have a "pickering" Mango which I bought because the tree was big and healthy and because I was told it was similar to a Glenn. I have been unable to find out much about this mango. I have had two mangos off it so far and I do not recall any coconut overtones. The mango resembles a Cogshall mango in appearance, tastes good, is fiberless but is not as good as my Carrie or neighbor's Kent. Anyone with any more info,I would appreciate it

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Ive never tasted a Pickering but have been told it is not like Julie. Julies flavor is unique, it has a very lavish sweet flavor to me like a fig or date where most other mangos have a peachy flavor. the coconut flavor for me is in the aftertaste. some other mangos have this but not as pronounced as Julie.

Graham has definite notes of Julie and makes up for it with its larger canopy growing habit and productivity.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

So I wonder what the consensus is for the best coconut flavored mango? Man I am dissapointed thatI wont be down there for the mango fest! It would make choosing another variety much MUCH easier!!! Carrie is defiante but beyond that, I really would like the best coconutty mango. I know this is sucha highly subjective thing but I still would like to know what gets the highest votes, and for me a condo type is necessary.
    The first mango that I ever tried was the Southern Blush. I lost it because I was just beginning to try growing mango trees and other tropical fruits.
    Andrew

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Julie is probably my favorite. Ive never tried Pickering although Pine Island rates it 5 and Julie 4 (although probably some bias towards the fact they stopped carrying Julie and are promoting the new Pickering)

Being both very dwarf I wouldnt be surprised if Pickering and Julie share some heritage.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

well guys....over at the Graham Mango thread, red-sea-me has said that THAT mango has a coconutty flavour and I've heard the pickering does as well, which is why I planted it....I may cheat this year on my young pickering and let one of them develop and report back.....

mangogrowl

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Mango dog...for what its worth my young pickering fruited last year (I've only had it for 2 months before it started to bloom). I let it set fruit even though I knew I shouldn't have since it was very young. It gave me around 3 I think? Although, they were very small fruits and the outside color(skin) wasn't "pretty" the fruit itself was awesome. Shortly after I "pugged" the tree to keep it short...so the tree hasn't grown much at all but its got buds again...thanks to Harry, Jsvand and a few other members here that recommended it...I am SO glad I bought this little tree. I can't remember if there was any distinct coconut flavor?? All I know is it was very, very good! If it sets fruit again, I will have to pay more attention to see if I detect any coconut flavor.

Considering I've only had this tree for less than 12 months and its fruited once and bloomed twice already...what a great Mango tree this one turned out to be. Great choice for me.

This was taken last summer...
    {{gwi:43930}}

Here's the blooms this year.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    I really think I am going to take your advise on this one. Not because you had it fruit the same year you got it either. Your response to the fruit isn't the only one I have heard that has been similiar. Also being a condo type, I know it will work good for me.

I am hoping to make it down this April. We have a new used car with excellent mileage and also good on gas. I was thinking about getting the Carrie or Pickering in March but if I can hand choose my trees, I would mutch rather wait! BTW..nice Pug job! If when I take my 'Lancetilla' out this spring, it doesn't bloom, or has bloomed by then, I plan on "pugging" mine also.

My 'Maha Chinook' also seems to be doing very well. What a relief for me! This time last year, I had 3 trees, and I lost them all. The Cogshall was my last survivor and I let it die outside when we had a frost. It had a crack in the trunk and rot set into it. I was really upset.

Andrew

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH