Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Yard Update 10/5/10

hmhausman
13 years ago

Not all that much going on, but due for an update. Here is the Wison "allegedly" seedless Guanabana which had major limb die back from the freeze but is still alive and kicking and just putting on its first post-freeze bloom.

The blooms on it, several of which I have tried hand plloinating in a desperate attempt to get fruit and prove the theory of seedlessness after 15 years.

Choquette avocado

Yellow dragon fruit

Ross sapote

Dang Rasimi jakfruit....one of which is ripe. I'll open it tonight and supplement with pictures.

Bloom on Mammea americana....mammee apple

Mia 1 jakfruit

Rien Bhat jakfruit

Possum Trot carambola

Phalsa seedlings

Pulasan seedling

More Pulasan seedlings

Rambutan seedlings

Langsat seedlings

Mangosteen seedlings

Rambutan seedling

Imam Pasand mango (left) and Pineiro mango (right)

Jujube in flower....but yet to set any fruit.

Sri Kembangan carambolas

Zebda mango...a trade from one of our forum mates......which arrived in rough shape and is making a nice come back.

Simmonds avocado

Goldfinger banana (FHIA 1)

Brazilian Tall banana

Triumph Persimmon.....my neighbor's

Falang mango....skipped blooming this year as the result of the cold, but put on over a foot of growth. Still a squat little sucker for 16 years old.

Fruit from seedling avocado tree......see thread about "Seedlings" for a further explanation.

Assorted dragon fruit in 30 foot silk oak tree. Only a few blooms this year so far. No fruit set.

Monstera deliciosa

Orchid in ficus tree.....blooming at its usual annual time.

Grafted Kai maprang (left), Illama "Fairchild" (center), and Ivory mango (right)

Monroe avocado

Comments (49)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Everything looks good as always Harry! What is the fruit description for this 'Ivory' mango?
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have never seen the Ivory mango. Perhaps Jeff from the forum...from whom I got it, can comment. I think he said that it was prolifically fruiting at the Fruit and Spice Park during this off year, so it seemed worthwhile to grow. So, I am.....you know, the more the merrier.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

the only description of Ivory i have ever seen is on top trop

{{gwi:1331694}}
    3733 Mangifera indica - Ivory Mango
    Thai mango, longer like Nam Doc Mai, eaten green crispy, sweet, eaten ripe yellow (soft, fiberless)

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Very nice pictures! I am envious of your collection. Update us on your fruit harvests. Btw Harry, are you growing any acai?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, no acai can be foud in my collection.....sorry.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

whats the scoop on the Pineiro mango?

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

So many seedlings....lol. Harry, you should stalk the jujube so the branches go upward instead of sideway. My jujube been flowering for a couple months and a couple fruits set but dropped. It is still flowering.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

"Not all that much going on", I beg to differ, all the blooms and all the fruit, the yard is looking amazing as always. Your PR seedlings are looking great, they have really taken off. The idea of using pig wire for shelving is genius, I will have to try that.

thanks for posting,
    -Ethan

• jun_
    13 years ago

it seems every update, you are coming up with more trees. Inspiring as usual! Where do you get the mangosteen seeds for your seedlings? I saw some fresh mangosteens at an asian market, but the label says "thailand quarantine". I didn't buy them because they were $15 for 3 not-so-fresh fruit. Do you know if those seeds will grow? I'm on a mission to fruit the first mangosteen in north america!

June

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Wow. Your stuff from PR looks great. Those pulasan seedlings seem to be taking off nicely.

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Harry, you are making me envious as usual. ch3rri, I'm wondering the same thing. I've always wanted to fruit a mangosteen and wondered if the irradiated fruit would produce viable seeds?

Harry, I know you sell a lot of your fruit at a stand but do you also have a lot of fruit go to waste? If so, have you considered making wine with it?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all for the positive comments.

Bryan:

The Pineiro mango was from Puerto Rico. I was shown a large green skin mango and told it was a locally grown Pineiro mango. Since they have much more rain than we do, I took this as a major statement of anthracnose resistance and so bought a tree. That was a big $6 expenditure at Jardines Eneida. It just put out its first new growth. Have I been sold a bill of goods? Time will tell. Since I bought it, someone said that it was really a Cuban mango. So stay tuned, lets see what it turns out to be...treasure or trash.

Jun:

My mangosteen seeds came from Puerto Rico. Unfotunately, the ones you have purchased here are likely irradiated and will not germinate....but you can try. Some may have gotten through the process with limited radiation damage and will sprout....but they will be few and far between if at all. And BTW, your too late to have the first fruiting mangosteen in North America. Bill Whitman already did it. I also saw a fruiting sized mangosteen tree, years ago, in Lighthouse Point, which I think had also fruited. They have also fruited mangosteen at the Whitman pavillion at Fairchild Gardens.....or so I am told. And then there was the famous c00rdB in New Jersey that fruited a mangosteen........search his name on the forum for to see the thread where this is discussed.

Ethan:

Before I accept the mantle of genius which you are so readily willing to bestowe upon me, you should know that the "pig wire" (I didn't even know it was called that) that you see is part of a tier bench which is one of many that I have that I purchased from Day's Tier Benches here in Miami many years ago for my orchid collection. They are great. I am not sure if the company is still in business. Ok...that being said.....I am ready to don the genius mantle :-)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i think lowland stagnant dew is a larger cause of fungus.

like Ice Cream mango in Dominican Republic has no sign of anthracnose on its flesh, or Julie in Trinidad. They get a nice island breeze. West Florida is swamp.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Harry,
    I think you forgot to add the thousands of fruiting mangosteen trees in the Caribbean and Central America to your list of fruiting mangosteens in North America.

June,
    When you do get it to fruit you will most likely be the first person to get it to fruit outside of FL in the mainland US. Not sure if I know of anyone else who has been able. Maybe someone in CA? When it does fruit though, don't let Jay know. It will hurt his feelings.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

I love how your tree is lit with brightly colored carambola fruits and how they're just dripping off the branches! And your jakfruits, avocados and bananas are admittedly heavenly!! I can't wait to visit!

Good luck on your Pulasan & Rambutan seedlings.

Bo

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Also, best of luck on your phalsa, langstat and mangosteen seedlings. Your Zebda Mango is definitely looking very nice and healthy too! And like june said your updates are always inspiring as usual!!

Bo

p.s I am gonna retire in Florida! LOL

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Spent the morning opening and cleaning my first jakfruit of the season. This is the Dang Rasimi. Sheehan (Murahilin) stopped over and tasted it. We both agreed it was quite good. The flesh was firm, but not crispy. Nice complex flavor blend between the juicy fruitishness of jakfruit with a slight under current of sub acid flavor to provide balance. Latex was minimal, concentrated from the core of the fruit. Actually, the fruit was much better than I had remembered it to be.

This fruit was about half the size of the normal fruit. It ran about 15 pounds.

Harry

• zands
    13 years ago

Mnago Kush said---
    "I think lowland stagnant dew is a larger cause of fungus. Like Ice Cream mango in Dominican Republic has no sign of anthracnose on its flesh, or Julie in Trinidad. They get a nice island breeze. West Florida is swamp."

Your theory is a good one. Has anyone tried spraying flowers, buds, panicles with colloidal silver against anthracnose? I have the means to make it the right way

Is East Florida a swamp? Must be because I see drainage canals everywhere. How about if you live near the ocean? I am 11 miles inland which I prefer because lower impact from hurricane

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Awesome Pictures as always Harry...really enjoyed looking at all your pictures. I'm SO jealous...I love fresh Jackfruit...its been so long since I've had them. Canned from the oriental market is about the only thing I can get once in a while. Thanks for the great pictures!!

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Yee Haww! Look at all those beautiful trees. The possum trot carambola looks interesting; never heard of that one. How does it compare to the SK?

The Ivory mango .. I was at the fruit and spice park in late spring, noticing that all the mango trees were barren of fruit. And, here was this one tree that was so loaded with fruit I wanted to laugh. The tag said 'Ivory'. So, I figured it would be an interesting tree to graft. I wanted to return to try the fruit, but never got a chance.

Jeff

• stressbaby
    13 years ago

Harry,
    I enjoyed seeing your pics again. I had in mind a yard dominated by mango but obviously you have much more. I view the PR seedlings with envy. Mine haven't done so well.
    Robert

• demeter_26
    13 years ago

I am a relatively new member to Gforum. I have learned alot just from reading the different links and threads presented here. I want to thank everyone here for so generously sharing their experiences and information. From what I am seeing Harry has a virtual Garden of Eden. Many compliments to you Harry, since I can imagine how much hard work and dedication you have put into caring for your garden to make it produce like that.
    I have just about reached my limit on how many fruit trees I can fit into my yard. I have to choose between a Fairchild and pickering mango. I know
    taste is subjective but I haven't as yet had the opportunity to taste either one. I know if anybody would know it would have to be you Harry.
    Thank you,
    Jon

• rodneys
    13 years ago

demeter 26, you may want to consider "Carrie" mango. It's considered a condo mango in that it doesn't grow very big but still yields lots of fruit. And it supposedly has great flavor

• demeter_26
    13 years ago

Another wish is to hopefully have a Kent, an Edward and a Cushman all growing together, since I'm limited by space.
    I already have had the Kent in the ground for about four months(four feet tall). I am about to purchase an Edward and a Cushman.
    My question is: Would it be better or healthier for all three trees concerned to have the Edward and Cushman grafted onto the Kent or to do a "multiple-planting", planting the two trees next to the Kent, all of them being 18 inches apart?
    Knowing the three to be vigorous growers,
    I would keep them pruned low (like all my trees)and in an equal growing pattern thereby preventing one from over taking the other.
    Your opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Jon

• demeter_26
    13 years ago

Thank you for your suggestion "rodneys". Fortunately, I already have a Carrie (as well as a Kent, Mallika, Haden, Julie and Alphonso). I agree the Carrie has good flavor since I already had the pleasure of sampling one fruit from my one year old tree. I imagine the flavor should get to the level of "great" with time.
    Appreciate your opinion, "rodneys".
    Jon

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Robert:

Thanks. You have to get your priorities in order. Going on a work convention while your tropical fruit seeds sit, unplanted, won't do. I try not to let work get in the way of my fruit growing. But, sometimes, it can't be helped.

Jon:

I am growing and have tasted both Pickering and Fairchild. I would say that Fairchild has a slightly larger growth habit but is very manageable. Pickering seems to be (at least at my house) more prolific at fruit production and the fruits are larger. However, as far as flavor is concerned they are both rated excellent on a scale of excellent, good, fair and poor. Trying to tell you one is better than the other would be like comparing the best tasting cantaloupe as a against the best tasting honey dew melon. On your quesion about the planting versus grafting, I would opt for planting them in the same hole and then keeping them trimmed to prevent the overtaking of one by the other.

Jeff:

The Possum Trot carambola was a selection of Robert Barnum at his Possum Trot Nursery in Miami. Its a very nice carambola. I think Sri Kembangan is better, but its close.

Harry

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Harry - does the pickering have that turpentine taste that the fairchild has next to the skin? Some people don't seem to mind that, but for me it detracts from the flavor a bit.

Jeff

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeff:

I would say Pickering would be less resinous than Fairchild. Pickering has more of a fruity/coconutty vibe to it.

Harry

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

awesome pics harry. are any of the pulsan seedlings from juan's blackcurrant tree?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gerry.....yes, I have four. of course those are the ones that the bugs have munched on the leaves. Look for the big bites mossing....those are them. The first pulasans pictured, just after the Phalsa seddlings.

Harry

• swrancher
    13 years ago

Harry,

Great pictures of your yard. have you tried the seedling avocado's yet? How about the Ross Sapote how does that fruit taste and what is is similar too?

Tony

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

this is the dew im speaking about, it hasnt rained and i haven't watered this container in days, yet you can see a saturation line.

Julie and Ice Cream are usually a low branching cultivar that may not get air inside its low canopy, this is the perfect environment for breeding anthracnose.

• quebolausa
    13 years ago

Incredible pictures Harry !

I’ve lurked around the forums for awhile and read the post you did about the aftermath of last winter. It’s great to see how well the trees/plants are doing now.

I do have the same question though that Tony has regarding what the Ross Sapote tastes like. I have one spot unclaimed (maxed out my space ☹) in the yard and am trying to figure out if the Ross is worthy enough to go there. This spot was going to be for the Canistel tree that I purchased at Excalibur early this year, but change my mind after eating a few Canistel fruits from Excalibur. I just couldn’t get over the musky aftertaste the canistel has. It’s a shame as the dryness is not that bad and the sweetness is great!

Do the Ross Sapotes have a musky after taste. Also, do you sell and ship fruit, or is it pickup only?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tony and Quebolausa:

I bought my Ross Sapote a few years back. It was being hyped by the folks at PIN. I am growing Canistel var. "Bruce" and have the same general objections about the fruit that you complain about. I was told by PIN that if you like canistel, you'll love Ross Sapote and if you don't care for canistel, you probably will still like Ross sapote. The Ross Sapote has fruited for me for the last three years. For me, the hype was not just hype. The Ross is much better than Canistel (IMHO) and does not have the objectionable musky after taste that you describe. The flesh has much more moisture and is for me, reminiscent of a caramel flan or custard with similar texture. I don't have a huge amount of fruit and I am still trying to master when they shoud be picked. The critters in the yard are far better at timing this and I have lost about 2/3 of each crop to raccoons and possum each season. I have never shipped any and am not sure how they would ship.
    Tony, you could stop by and try it. I suppose I could try to ship. Contact me by e-mail and I'll see if we can work something out.

Harry

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Went out this morning to check on the Ross Sapote fruit that was nearing readiness. The fruit was gone and there were three nice shiny seeds lying under the branch where the fruit once hung. BTW, the raccoons and posssums have no interest in my Bruce Canistel.....just for the record.

Harry

• quebolausa
    13 years ago

Harry,
    It’s ironic the description you give of the Ross Sapote fruit, as it was what I mistakenly thought the Canistel tasted like. You helped me make up my mind though and I’m going to pick up a Ross this weekend at either Lara or PIN. The reason I’m not sure of which location is because Lara has the Ross in only 1 gallon sizes, and I’m eager to have a fruit bearing tree asap. If you has to guess, how long would you estimate a 1 gallon grafted Ross would take to fruit?
    I feel your pain with the raccoons, as I run into the same issue. Unfortunately , every deterrent I have tried has failed. The darn things steal my fruit , throw peals/seeds into my pool, then to top it off leave me other “surprises” laying around, usually inside the pool. If your able to save any extra fruit let me know as I would be interested in purchasing a few.

~ Jose

• cath41
    13 years ago

Spraying the developing fruit with hot pepper wax has helped with critters here. The wax helps it stay on longer although it eventually has to be reapplied. Originally I used that formulated for deer then accidentally got that formulated for insects. It still worked and was cheaper because it was a concentrate. The other thing that helps is Tanglefoot. I spread it on several main branches of the tree. Sometimes more than once on a branch. The purpose is to force any marauding animal, squirrel, raccoon, chipmunk, etc., to accidentally step it it. It is stickier than glue. I imagine it drives them crazy. They deserve it. It certainly drives me crazy. I have to use Goo Gone to get it off immediately.

Cath

• tagtail
    13 years ago

Harry,

How long does it take for a yellow dragon fruit to ripe at your place? I planted one last year and now it gets three small fruits on it (they bloomed a couple weeks ago). Thanks.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

:-) I have a massive ~25 or so year old bruce canistel, and I actually like it a lot. Over the years I've learned 'how' to eat them. They do get moist; you just have to wait a week or so after picking until they are super mushy. The only thing I don't like is that the fruit has a lot of latex that sticks to my teeth (even when super ripe). It also has a bit of a musky odor, but it's not that big of a deal. My opinion will probably be in the minority here, but I honestly didn't find much of a difference between the bruce and the other 'superior' cultivars such as ross and fairchild other than less of an odor and a little less latex. Interestingly, IFAS rates the ross as a 'no go' for the home garden. See https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs299

Canistel is a great fruit. It's nutritious, super duper sweet, and quite good once you adjust to its nuances. One of the strongest qualities of my bruce is its bearing habit. It produces fruit during the skimpy fruit months (esp. early spring) when nothing else meaty is fruiting. It also produces fruit for a total of about 6 months out of the year, so you can almost always cruise by and nab a canistel to eat... ;-)

Jeff

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Another good canistel is the 9681 (aka 'trompo'). TreeHouse Nursery propagates it.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

TagTail:

I never actually marked down the time on the yellow dragon fruit ripening. My estimate would be about 60 days...give or take. I think temperature and humidity might affect that time period.

Jeff:

Just had my first Ross Sapote this eveing. Murahilin came over and we sampled it. I want to re-state my description of the fruit. To me, the texture of the ripe Ross sapote is like the filling in pumpkin pie. It doesn't taste like pumpkin pie....but that is my best description. The flavor for me was good, sweet with some of the rich flavor of canistel. Overall, very nice. I stick by my clear prefence for this over other canistels.

Harry

• murahilin
    13 years ago

My first taste of a Ross Sapote (Canistel?) was today. At first I was not impressed and didn't care much for it. Once Harry planted the idea of "pumpkin pie" in my head the taste started to improve. It's texture and taste is much better than that of the 9681 in my opinion. It was more moist and less of a musky flavor. I am still not a fan of many of these Sapotaceous fruits. Actually, I don't think I even really like any of them except for the abiu and even with that I can barely eat half a fruit.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

never tried canistel, never really went out of my way to look for it either.
    sounds like it makes a nice pie but nothing you reach for out of hand.

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Great pictures as always, Harry.
    Can't wait for the Maha Chanook.

Tim

• abayomi
    13 years ago

Question: Is that dog friendly? (Says the guy stopping by in a week...to what appears to be a magnificent space)

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Abayomi:

Pictured, by accident, is the smaller of my two dogs. They are both specially trained to attack and destroy fruit marauding creatures, both large and small. You should be fine....but if you have a bushy tail, keep it tucked in while you are visiting. See you soon!

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Abayomi, im glad to hear you are making your pilgrimage to Harrys yard, not the best season to visit though

are you looking for seeds to bring back with you?
    i think i have some roselle (hibiscus sabdariffa) jackfruit, and may have some sugar apple seeds in a week or so

• abayomi
    13 years ago

Thanks Harry. Seeing your pictures is amazing and inspirational. Seeing it live will be even better.

MK: Thanks for the kind offer!! And yes, I am a fiend for seed. People who know me, know I am always on a seed collection hunt of some kind, wherever I am. Jackfruit, I adore. Sugar apple: can't get enough. Roselle, wonderful.

Careful though...I might end up in Hollywood... :)

• abayomi
    13 years ago

I can now say I have made the pilgrimmage to Harry's and what an absolutely fabulous spot he has created. Even this late in the fall, the place looks stunning. Thanks again for sharing your time Harry.

We enjoyed some Ross Sapote which exceeds the canistel in texture by a substantial margin. Unfortunately the seed saved was discarded by accident but alas, we'll work on getting some more.

I also was able to visit Fairchild and the Fruit and Spice Park on the same trip. F&S was looking very good. Managed to get seed from a queen guava, cinnamon apple (sapote family) and ice cream bean. Mamey sapotes found onthe ground were not ripe. Sapodilla trees were loaded but not ready. With their "you can eat it if it has fallen to the ground policy" in place, much things become impossible. By the time a jackfruit falls to the ground it would seem to be gone too far. Longan were all over the ground but finding one that was edible was next to impossible.

I bought some black sapotes from Fairchild 2 weeks ago but they failed to ripen before we left so still haven't tasted that one...

All in all it was a great experience.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm