mango_kush

Sugar Apple

mango_kush
13 years ago

Anona squamosa var. kampong mauve

Comments (25)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Congrats. Those fruits look so good, I just want to eat one! I have some of these trees...SEEDLINGS. I have to find a good grafted variety. I am going to have to go the previous forums and see if I can get the consensus on the best varieties. I have to say that I am a little confused though. Some people have said that they prefer the cherimoya and some people say that they prefer the sugar apple. I wish I could find a place that carried these fruits!
    Andrew

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Those are very nice sugar apples! How old is the tree? Did you plant from seed? And will this be the first year you get to try fruit from this particular tree?
    Does anyone know of a good online store that sells sugar apples?

Bo

• jun_
    13 years ago

nice tree! sugar apples are too seedy for me, and some have a very strong "perfume", it literally tastes like sweet perfume. i prefer atemoyas because the have less seeds and not too strong flavor

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bryan:

Nice looking sugar apple tree and fruits. However, are you sure that you have "kampong mauve?" I used to have one before the hurricane and my recollection was that even the young fruits showed the characteristic mauve coloration. I definitely remember mine being not so green. Where did you get yours? I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Harry

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Harry is 100% correct. That is definitely not a Kampong mauve. The young fruits pretty much always have the purplish coloration. Is it a grafted tree?

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i got it from Spykes nursery but it had a Pine Island tag on it that i still have, says Kampong Mauve.

i guess its a mislabled Thai Lessard then. it should be an airlayer being from Pine Island?

andrew seedling anonas generally come true to type, they may have a higher seed ratio or not come true to color, may be from cross pollination with a green variety

I can get whitman purple seedlings, i will wait until they fruit in container to make sure they are purple then im going to try and graft another variety onto this.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

mangokush,
    Check and see if it is an actual air layer. Some nurseries think that its okay to sell seedling sugar apples and label them as named varieties.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Sheehan is correct - The guy at PIN told me that the the thai lessard they sell are from seed. The kampong mauve is grafted though.

Jeff

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

If the fruit started out green then it's a thai lessard. The KM will start off muave color or a weird color other than green. I got the KM from PI by mistake and the fruit started off brownish or muave. When I called to ask, the lady say the KM was from seed too. I see no grafted mark on my KM.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Interesting - I was told that the KM was grafted at PIN. I was once told that red-fruited sugar apple seeds can sometimes produce green-fruited trees... so grafting them would be important.

Jeff

• jlgarden53
    13 years ago

From an article I have read. Farmers in Taiwan, by extremely early spring and late summer pruning, force their sugar apple trees to produce two crops per year. Is it possible to do that in a warm climate like south Florida? Have you ever try that?

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i have seen sugar apples produce two crops but they are consecutive during one season

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Congrats on your good yield... How old is your tree? That looks like it's no less than 3yr? I have a 1.5yr old seedling in a pot, I can't wait any longer :(

Tim

• jlgarden53
    13 years ago

I should say they got 2 seasons (summer & winter) per year. What they did were, if I understand the article correctly. Trees were pruned to height and sharp in early spring(Feb.- March). Leaves were totally removed at the same time. First fruit season were from July through Oct. In late summer (June - Aug), weak and inside growth branches were removed. Branches that grew the same season were cut to 2-3 nodes. All leaved removed. Flowers should begin in 15-20 days. Second fruit season were from Nov. though March.
    I remember someone said that his sugar apple tree was still bald this spring. So my guess is, winter crop for south Florida is not possible if it was grown out door.

• jlgarden53
    13 years ago

I mean 'pruned to height and shape'

• yiyao43
    10 years ago

I live in South Texas, Houston. I am a sugar apple fan ( my favorite fruit) but I can not find any place in here selling the fruit. Any suggestion where I can find a place close by to buy the fruit?
    Please, reply

• vegasqueen
    10 years ago

Why isn't my sugar apple not juicy when ripe?

• mangobaby
    10 years ago

Hi yiyao43,

You can grow sugar apples in a container. I took this picture 4 weeks ago. I am in NW Houston. Where in Houston are you located?

• yiyao43
    10 years ago

Hi Mangobaby, and thanks for your reply. I live in the South part of the city, close to beltway 8 south. Do you know a place in where I can buy the fruit? I have one planted in a container but no fruit yet.
    Thanks and if you could please email your responses to:
    iblancoc@comcast.net
    Thanks,

• msmorningsong
    10 years ago

You can buy seeds to several Anona species from tradewindsfruit.com

• snuffles CA
    8 years ago

I was interested in the article about how Taiwan get their sugar apple trees to produce 2 crops a year. I couldn't find that but I did find this amusing article about small monkeys stealing Taiwanese farmers' crops of sugar apples. The picture shows the monkey riding a boar (getaway car).

• jlgarden53
    8 years ago

Here is the link to the article. Sorry it is in Chinese and Google fails to translate this file because file too large.

http://www.ttdares.gov.tw/htmlarea_file/web_articles/ttdares/3059/NO.41-005.pdf

• Daniel 10A
    7 years ago

Hey guys is there a flavor or size difference between the two km & tl? How many varieties are there and whats the best variety? I have green sugar apples grown from seed from my father's house. They are small trees still but they are moving along! So I can still steal some sugar apples >:) buahahahaha!!!!

• vidnand
    2 years ago

Hi All, we live near Los Angeles. we have a green sugar apple tree that i started from seed (from India)around 3 yrs back. The tree is in a 15 gal black placstic container. It just started fruiting this year. i see a lot of baby fruits. Hope they all make it. I woud love to get some red or some other variety Sugar apple seeds. would one of u mind sharing some seeds with me? i can send u some of the seeds from my plant once my fruit matures. Thanks in advance. - V