Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Apple

Congrats. Those fruits look so good, I just want to eat one! I have some of these trees...SEEDLINGS. I have to find a good grafted variety. I am going to have to go the previous forums and see if I can get the consensus on the best varieties. I have to say that I am a little confused though. Some people have said that they prefer the cherimoya and some people say that they prefer the sugar apple. I wish I could find a place that carried these fruits!
Andrew

o

Those are very nice sugar apples! How old is the tree? Did you plant from seed? And will this be the first year you get to try fruit from this particular tree?
Does anyone know of a good online store that sells sugar apples?

Bo

o

• Posted by jun_ 8a-9b (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 17, 10 at 13:07

nice tree! sugar apples are too seedy for me, and some have a very strong "perfume", it literally tastes like sweet perfume. i prefer atemoyas because the have less seeds and not too strong flavor

o

Bryan:

Nice looking sugar apple tree and fruits. However, are you sure that you have "kampong mauve?" I used to have one before the hurricane and my recollection was that even the young fruits showed the characteristic mauve coloration. I definitely remember mine being not so green. Where did you get yours? I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Harry

o

Harry is 100% correct. That is definitely not a Kampong mauve. The young fruits pretty much always have the purplish coloration. Is it a grafted tree?

o

i got it from Spykes nursery but it had a Pine Island tag on it that i still have, says Kampong Mauve.

i guess its a mislabled Thai Lessard then. it should be an airlayer being from Pine Island?

andrew seedling anonas generally come true to type, they may have a higher seed ratio or not come true to color, may be from cross pollination with a green variety

I can get whitman purple seedlings, i will wait until they fruit in container to make sure they are purple then im going to try and graft another variety onto this.

o

mangokush,
Check and see if it is an actual air layer. Some nurseries think that its okay to sell seedling sugar apples and label them as named varieties.

o

Sheehan is correct - The guy at PIN told me that the the thai lessard they sell are from seed. The kampong mauve is grafted though.

Jeff

o

If the fruit started out green then it's a thai lessard. The KM will start off muave color or a weird color other than green. I got the KM from PI by mistake and the fruit started off brownish or muave. When I called to ask, the lady say the KM was from seed too. I see no grafted mark on my KM.

o

Interesting - I was told that the KM was grafted at PIN. I was once told that red-fruited sugar apple seeds can sometimes produce green-fruited trees... so grafting them would be important.

Jeff

o

From an article I have read. Farmers in Taiwan, by extremely early spring and late summer pruning, force their sugar apple trees to produce two crops per year. Is it possible to do that in a warm climate like south Florida? Have you ever try that?

o

i have seen sugar apples produce two crops but they are consecutive during one season

o

Congrats on your good yield... How old is your tree? That looks like it's no less than 3yr? I have a 1.5yr old seedling in a pot, I can't wait any longer :(

Tim

o

I should say they got 2 seasons (summer & winter) per year. What they did were, if I understand the article correctly. Trees were pruned to height and sharp in early spring(Feb.- March). Leaves were totally removed at the same time. First fruit season were from July through Oct. In late summer (June - Aug), weak and inside growth branches were removed. Branches that grew the same season were cut to 2-3 nodes. All leaved removed. Flowers should begin in 15-20 days. Second fruit season were from Nov. though March.
I remember someone said that his sugar apple tree was still bald this spring. So my guess is, winter crop for south Florida is not possible if it was grown out door.

o

I mean 'pruned to height and shape'

o

I live in South Texas, Houston. I am a sugar apple fan ( my favorite fruit) but I can not find any place in here selling the fruit. Any suggestion where I can find a place close by to buy the fruit?
Please, reply

o

Why isn't my sugar apple not juicy when ripe?

o

Hi yiyao43,

You can grow sugar apples in a container. I took this picture 4 weeks ago. I am in NW Houston. Where in Houston are you located?

o

Hi Mangobaby, and thanks for your reply. I live in the South part of the city, close to beltway 8 south. Do you know a place in where I can buy the fruit? I have one planted in a container but no fruit yet.
Thanks and if you could please email your responses to:
iblancoc@comcast.net
Thanks,

o

You can buy seeds to several Anona species from tradewindsfruit.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here