Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A good day!

Posted by rayandgwenn z11 Puerto Rico (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 12:54

Yesterday, I went out to the west coast of PR to go fruit tree shopping. We visited Juan Miranda at his farm and then Sadhu at Govardhan Gardens. I didn't get to Jardin Eneida as planned (we ran out of time). All the plants are seedlings.
I will post pictures later today or tomorrow, but here is the list of my haul:
large leafed miracle fruit
clove
Kwai muk (Artocarpus hypargyreus)
Marang (Artocarpus odoratissimus)
Candolleana (Eugenia candolleana)
Pitangatuba (Eugenia neonitida)
Giant jambolan (Syzygium cumini)
chupa- chupa (Matisia cordata)
lakoocha (Artocarpus lakoocha)
blue grape (Myrciaria vexator)
and 5 Pulasan.

I also picked up a few things for friends (durian, rollinia, cacao and some duplicates of my items). The car was full and I was happy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A good day!

Nice list. How big are the pulasan that you picked up?

o

They are about 3-3.5 ft tall.
For $12 they were hard to pass up after everyone's rave reviews about the taste of the fruit.

o

Juan's place was one of the highlights of our trip. Heliconias!

o

Wow, that is one heck of a day, I'm jealous! Definitely a few things on your list I would've liked to have grabbed while I was there. Maybe next trip.

congrats,
-Ethan

o

Now come on Gwenn....a good day??? Sounds like a fantastically great day to me. Yeah, I would have to agree with StressBaby.....I am not even much of a heliconia fan (this falls under the "if you can't eat it...don't grow it" mind set that I am presently laboring under)however, I had to say that Juan's heliconias were spectacular. Did you get the Pulasan from Juan or Sadhu?

Harry

o

Very nice. How large of a fruit is on that large jambolan? I hope you got a seedling from Juan's amazing pulasan tree.

o

Ok- It was a really good day. It would have been better if we didn't run out of time.

The Pulasan were from Juan. But he didn't think the seeds were from his tree. But he said he will start grafting this year, so hopefully he will be able to offer his special Pulasan for sale.

I believe Sadhu said the fruit on the Giant Jambolan were about the size of golf balls but I will double check with him. He said he liked the taste of the fruit very much. I am hoping to keep it topped so it is not such a large tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here