Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tamarind leaves turned pink?

Posted by dubai-gardener none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 13:39

Hello,

I have a young tamarind tree on which the leaves turned pink. I don't know what caused this. They were green and only the new leaves would start as pink and would turn green later. Is it overwatering or underwatering or something else? Help, I don't want it to die, it survived the triple digits of the summer, can't let it die now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tamarind leaves turned pink?

Do you have photos? Are you saying the green leaves turned pink, or just that the new leaves are staying pink?

Generally tamarinds are a very tough tree. You don't want to over water them, they need to be well drained. Heat isn't a problem, they actually prefer it.

o

I am a bit confused now. I remember that the new leaves would start as pink and turn green. Now all are pink. I linked to a photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic

This post was edited by dubai-gardener on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 23:52

o

That does look quite strange. Seems like it lost all its leaves and now is having a flush of new ones. Quite frankly, I've never noticed anything like that with mine. I have about 30 to 40 trees ranging from about 2 metres to 5 metres tall. They always stay green and often lose some leaves during the hot dry weather. I've never noticed new leaves come out like that. I'd leave it go for a while making sure not to over water. Aside from the colour the leaves look healthy.

o

Tropicbreezent thank you for reassurance. Every tree I have is special, I care about each of them deeply. I got it from my grandmother, RIP, who would always talk to her plants. Amazingly she had her indoor plants that lived for more than 25 years (and probably are still there). I don't recall other details of her routine but I clearly remember how she would tell me how she cherishes all her plants and that you NEED to talk to them. I don't talk to mine but I think about them.
I will report how the tamarind tree does.

o

Well good luck with it. I checked mine this morning, no pink leaves. There weren't any new leaves flushing. We're coming out of out dry season and it's hot and no rain. When our rains come the tamarinds should start putting out new growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here