Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heygeno1951

any of you grow " Tree Tomato " ?

heygeno
9 years ago

I cant remember the Latin name..... I live in z5-6 and we are getting a frost in a few days. This will be the first year for fruit I ( overwinter inside ) and dont know if I should pick fruit GREEN -or-- try to get this 10' thing inside ......This year I may have to cut top off ..... Thanks, Geno

Comments (11)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

I grew it in the 80's..its a white fly and aphid magnet like NO OTHER plant I have ever grown outdoors. Our rain less summers might be part of that.
    I would think picking green before frost is a good idea. Frost will only make them rot. And the fruit is best stewed anyways -when red.
    Indoors,I would say use a systemic...but since that's an edible,ONLY after all fruit are picked. One watering with a systemic should last all winter...and be safe by next summer. BUT,I cant say for sure if all will have left the plants by then. Best answer I can give you. Check the label I think it does say when its safe to pick from edibles. THEY SAY..

• heygeno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, S...... and you are right ! I fought aphids all winter on that thing !......using the least harmful 'natural' ways....HA ! the aphids laughed at me......

This year , I decided to use a Neem product..... and Bug-B-Gone on the roots. I am also going to try rooting the cuttings .

• sf_rhino
    9 years ago

I just saw an ad for one of those last week. What do they taste like? Are they tomato-like at all?

• heygeno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

....all I know is that they are in the tomato family ( solanasia...too lazy to look up spelling......my fruit are picked and rock hard ..hoping they will ripen !

• farm_boy
    9 years ago

Hello tree tomato fans

I have more questions than answers, but I know that when I lived in Ecuador and Colombia the "tree tomato" was consumed in the form of juice: mixed with either water or milk and a bit of sugar in a blender. You have to wait until the fruit turns red.

My questions are related to which tropical fruits I can grow in zone 6, Heygeno, are you in zone 5-6? Please tell me how you grew the plant. I assume it's in a big pot that you can move indoors, but in their natural setting I've seen the trees reach 15-20 feet tall.

I have an unheated greenhouse, but it isn't very tall. Or, very heated, either.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

The scientific name is Cyphomandra betacea (although that is still an "unresolved name" but generally accepted). It's not actually a tropical fruit and will only grow at higher altitudes in the tropics. When I was a kid it was often called "New Zealand Tomato" since it's grown a lot there (a cool but not cold climate), or the other name "Tamarillo".

Use this link if you want some good information on growing them:
    www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/tree_tomato.html

• bluespiritartist
    9 years ago

My mother grew a tomato tree inside years ago and it sat in a draft free room...she showed me the tree and as I'm standing there, the leaves were all moving! To this day I will not have one in my house LOL

• heygeno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey you guys..... some how, I did not get your posts ??

The update on my tamarillo is that it began sending out new branches and leaves that some immediately became covered with aphids as did my Trin.red scorp.pepper.

So-- I guess the Bug-be-Gone did not work ( 2 yo bottle ) so I got a "12 month" systemic and treated all my PRONE to aphids trops.& vegs. At my age, a 'little poison' aint gonna DO ME IN...... when we were kids, we used to run and ride our bikes behind the DDT sprayers ! ( 50's )

What is so cool, is that all the new branches have lots of bud blossoms ( which *maybe* will fall off due to treatment ).....BUT--- it gives me hope that next year I will be able to actually eat the fruit : )

Farm Boy : I started the seed in winter of 2012......it got to 6" and was pathetic looking and struggled to live the first month of spring 13........then caught hold and got to 4' before I dug and brought in for the winter . I kept it under flous. in 55 degree art studio all winter where it grew new leaves ( I pulled all leaves off before bringing in )...... I fought PMildew all that winter& aphids --- defoliated it again........ planted it outside in spring and it got up to 12-15' ? and grew a dozen? fruit that never got ripe. They have very small root systems and even this year I was able to pot up in a 5 gal. bucket......the low end of trunk is thicker than a baseball bat. I took pics of the new infestation and will see if I can post .

This winter I am keeping it under flous again -- but in my house @ 69 D. I also over winter hot peppers, citrus , (brugmansia in in garage and basement) Keep in touch with me OK ? you can also FB me --- Geno Centofanti

• heygeno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know if you guys can zoom in to see aphids & blossom buds......Geno
    PS .I have to spray liberally w/ iso alcohol 2 times a week just to keep aphids at bay....... : /

• greenman62
    9 years ago

for aphids
    soap with clove oil
    clove oil burns. even 2 drops in a glass of water burns
    the heck out of my mouth when i brush my teeth :)
    (it kills ALL germs)
    the soap makes it stick to the aphids.
    just make sure the soap is thick enough to stick.
    most natural methods have it watered down too much.

Geno
    have you tried tip-pruning when it was growing ?
    i try to keep all of my plants
    (including mango, papaya, tomato, peppers etc...)
    all height-restricted / short
    so, i tip-prune them while they are growing
    chopping the top off works also,
    sometimes that actually makes them fruit more too.

• heygeno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, GM62..... I had to cut the Tam. back to 7' to get into the house . Soapy water spray I do sometimes mixed w/alcohol. I am thinking I did not use enough "Bug-B-Gone" ( 12 month protection) and may have to do again soon...... This Red Trin Scorp pepper IS a bug magnet. No aphids on peps right next to.....also, in the summer STINKBUGS LOVED IT.