Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Brooks Late' Mango

Posted by adiel 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 14:09

Has anyone had any experience with the 'Brooks Late' mango? I heard that it suppose to be a later season mango than Neelum and have good flavor?

Adiel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Brooks Late' Mango

To answer my own question, it looks like the 'Brooks Late' is the same mango as the 'Brooks', just another name for it. So it looks like its just an old commercial variety from Florida. :)

o

Be careful Adiel.....if you keep asking the questions and then answering them yourself, people will think you may have gotten a little fruity in the head. LOL......no, seriously....Brooks or Brooks Late are not in my collection. What makes you ask about it? I assume by your question that you've never tried it. I think one of our posters,Squam, might have some knowledge about it. Let's see if he does?

Harry

o

Haha!! Could be true! ..., some friends down south said they liked the fact that it fruited this year after all the mangos were gone (even neelum was gone). And the taste was not that bad. Maybe something to have around just to have fresh mangos late in the season? I'll let the others post their opinion on it...

Adiel

o

Adiel - I would not go by this year's mango season as it was truly all screwed up timing wise. You mention Neelums which are usually one of the latest varieties, well in Palm Beach County, the people I know who were growing them were done in early to mid august with Kents and Kietts still on the tree. In a typical season, you should have mangoes going well into September with some possibly straggling into October. Soooo, in my opinion, is planting an average quality Brooks worth it, no. What are the chances of another repeat season like 2011, who knows but odds are in your favor that the majority of years will provide the usual late season varieties ripening into September and possibly October.

Rob

o

Rob, thanks for the good info. As far as flavor, has anyone tried the 'Brooks' a.k.a. 'Brooks Late'?

Adiel

o

Brooks is actually the second oldest mango to be named in Florida after Haden. It was a Sandersha seedling. It is *probably* the parent of Keitt and its a parent of several other Florida cultivars including Kent.

Its a decent producer but fairly average flavor-wise.....its fairly mild, has a little bit of fiber.....its progeny have proven to be better mangoes. Its main 'value' is that fact that its a late-season mango and there aren't as many late season cultivars as early season, but Keitt, Valencia Pride, Lancetilla, and Palmer are all better than Brooks,imo.

I think it may be for that reason that some older commercial groves have sold them green.....and it is generally only found in older groves. There are some plantings in Homestead and Merrit Island.

Interestingly there is a 'Golden Brooks' mango cultivar which I haven't tried before. Perhaps its an improvement on its parent like 'Golden Lippens' was.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here