Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
behlgarden

Nam Doc Mai Mango @ Home Depot

behlgarden
12 years ago

Just bought grafted Nam Doc Mai 5' 5-gal mango tree from Home Depot @ Corona CA for $21. Looks like a steal.

Comments (24)

• gnappi
    12 years ago

I don't know what's going on in the wholesale business but I got a 5'-6' Glenn at HD (South Florida) for the same price

• TnTRobbie
    12 years ago

That is a steal. How was the plant's plant's physical condition? I've been checking prices twice a week last month at HD, Lowes (rough looking trees), and Wal-mart in the Hollywood/PembrokePines area in South FLorida and the pries have been $35 each with Glenn, Valencia, and Mallika being in multiples and in stock (All with the P.I.N. description tag). Tried to go back to the one Wal-mart where I saw an lone Lancetilla for sale, but that was gone the next day.

• gnappi
    12 years ago

My Glenn was a stick a bit less than 6' tall with no branches, and LOTS dark green leaves. I was advised here to cut the top and now I wait.

Gary

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Some home improvement centers have been shutting down or reducing their garden centers. Those prices are pretty low. I wonder if they are trying to unload some inventory.

Jeff

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Good for you behlgarden. I only saw a Gold Nugget mango out here at the Palm Springs Home Depot earlier this year - Guess I should go back as see what's happening........

That is a good buy!

is it a seedling or grafted?????

MangoD

• emegar
    12 years ago

behlgarden,

Can you tell me whether there were any others? I'd love to find a Nam Doc Mai, or any other grafted mangos, but I've never seen anything but Manila seedlings available locally (I'm in Rancho Cucamonga). Thanks.

• marinfla
    12 years ago

I went to the Home Depot in West Boca Raton to see what they had: Magnolia figs 5.99, bluberries and bulberries 5.99, grapes 5.99, Dragon Fruit Halley's Comet Dragon fruit 6.99, good sized annona sp for 33.99 but unsure of varities, and of course your typical citrus trees. I had to buy one of those Dragon fruits.

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here is the picture of the tree I purchased
    {{gwi:1331954}}From Drop Box

This plant had three branches so I picked this one over the one that was 6" taller but had only one stem.

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

good deal, nice tree.

yeah, here in Houston a lot of the garden centers have had their plants 50-70% off the past two months or so. winter is approaching, so the retailers are getting rid of their inventory. not many people are gonna be gardening/planting in the cold.

• bradflorida
    12 years ago

Looks healthy. Nice green leaves. Low branching.

Good luck!

• longanluva
    12 years ago

Hi Behlgarden
    Nice pick up! Which HD in Corona? Ontario Ave or Mckinley St? Did they have alot in stock? Thanks
    Max

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Max, it was at Ontario Ave location by the 15 FWY. On Saturday they had about 5 plants to choose from. Not sure if they have any now.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

bet it has a high graft - about 2 feet or more up the plant, right? That's that wholesaler who sends out the mangos to all of SoCal - forgot the name. But I didn't forget that stupid high graft line that they practice........

mDOG

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was wondering about high graft too. does it post issues? I think it will be easier to kill suckers form within the 2' stem as its easy to spot. Wondering what are disadvantages of high graft? The tree will grow big so would it matter?

• rodneys
    12 years ago

The wholesaler is La Verne Nursery. I have a Timotayo that is a high graft, too

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Nice tree. Rodney is right, that's a La Verne mango I have a Thompson from La Verne. I though that the La verne mango were hardier for Socal because of their Manila rootstock.It turns out the Florida grafted mangos on turpentine rootstock are hardier, that's according to some of the mango oldtimers I talked to from the CRFG in Orange County and San Diego.

JF

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Yes, that's it - LaVerne - BehlG - I'm not sure there's any disadvantage EXCEPT in the case of frost kill-back. With a lower graft you could lose more of the tree and not kill the entire desired graft section. With any kind of frost our high-grafts are really living on the edge.

When they are young like that, they are most susceptible - could even breakoff if something fell on it or an animal got too rough with it - that smaller scion is just a bit more precarious in the beginning.

Course when it gets larger it shouldn't be a problem at all! (in my humble O')

mangomange

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I plan on have a sturdy stake by the trunk and also when winter hits I plan on wrapping the grafted zone in cotton and shield it with plastic to minimize cold. sort of insulate the wound. would that help?

• mangodog
    12 years ago

yes....definitely - just be careful if you cover the whole plant in plastic, though, cuz when the sun comes out it can get mighty toasty inside, mighty quickly and produce damage of the opposite kind which is just as detrimental....

DogManGo

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Has anyone seen anything other than Manilas @ HomeDepot/Lowes in San Diego area?

Tim

• rtees_garden
    12 years ago

I've checked Home Depot stores from Mission Valley up to Escondido over the past week and have yet to see anything other than a few Manila. I'll mention it if I do see anything different.

Richard

• yonip69
    12 years ago

Is there any body seen Nam Doc Mai mango tree for sale today?

• nursejolly
    11 years ago

I called that home depot in corona and they can special order it.

• tribeofjudah68
    9 years ago

Grafted is better for quicker producing plants. You can usually visually SEE where the graft has taken place. I'm not an expert, but my 2 cents.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES