Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_pease

Mango grafting question

Karen Pease
12 years ago

So... in all likelihood, it looks like I'm going to be moving to Iceland at some point in the next year. I'm also an avid indoor (container) grower of tropicals. I relatively recently acquired a Carrie mango, which along with a few other plants, is probably too tall for me to manage to bring with without exorbitant shipping cost. So, I was thinking about trying to make some fresh, young grafts of it to bring.

I know that many, if not most, mango trees in the US are grafted with a Turpentine or similar rootstock, but that most mango seedlings reportedly will work well as a rootstock. I've also read that mango cuttings are poor at rooting on their own, and that rooted cuttings develop poor root systems. So grafting looks like the way to go.

However, a characteristic of the Carrie that really matters to me is the size; naturally, I'm not going to want my tree to be trying to grow to 30-40m tall ;) Does anyone know, if I were to graft a Carrie cutting onto a random seedling, whether it would continue to retain its dwarf/semi-dwarf characteristics? Would getting Turpentine specifically be better than a random seedling in this regard? And how fast do mango seedlings grow? Aka, would I have time to grow one from seed up to a graftable size, or would I have to get a seedling that's already big enough?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor