Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carbos5

Sugar Mango?

carbos
12 years ago

A friend from Colombia was telling me about a mango she would always eat as a child in Colombia. It was referred to as a mango azucar, or sugar mango. She said they were very sweet, small, and the skin was very thin.

Not much more info than that. She has never seen this type here in south FL. Anyone have a clue as to what cultivar she might be talking about?

Comments (23)

• squam256
    12 years ago

I've had it when I've been in Colombia.

Think it might be a polyembryonic seedling type based on how common it is down there....but it wasn't really fibrous like most of those types are. It was small and oval shaped. Don't think it has an English name other than 'sugar mango'.

• carbos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Zands, that sure seems to be the one. Did some searching online but haven't been able to find any info about it: tree size, growth habits, productivity, availability here in Florida, etc.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Interesting link Zand,

They looked like my premature Haden's from last year...that is a small and flat seed!In Mexico they have small mangos like that. In the Yucatan they have one called Manguita and the west coast another one called nino(first letter pronunce gn in french or nh in portugues) they are both super sweet but Manguita has a large seed.

JF

• zands
    12 years ago

Carbos and JFernandez---
    Here is a photo of some Broward county mangoes that were small, sweet, a bit fibrous. Probably the tree is a seedling tree. Maybe of a Haden but who knows? These have same reddish blush as the Colombian sucre mango. These cute little mangoes were good! Best place to eat these is outside because you are are going to make a mess eating them and get mango pulp and juice all over your face and hands

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

its colloquial name for a popular seedling strain, sometimes I hear people from the Carribean refer to them as "mangoteen" (not mangosteen)

Its popular to grow mangos from seed in many Countries. mango de pina or pineapple mango is another coloquial name for a common asian seedling strain found in Puerto Rico

• gnappi
    12 years ago

That mango sounds an awful lot like a mango I had 30 odd years ago that was called a "peach mango". They were small, very sweet, juicy, but missing in your description they had a small flat pit, and no fiber at all. Just like a peach.

I got it only 5' tall or so, and in 6 years grew to a HUGE, size, NEVER had any fungal problems, grew like a weed and produced more mango than my whole social circle could eat or make into ice cream. I wish I could find another one, I'd lose the three I have happily to get one.

Gary

• carbos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gary, my wife described the experience of eating them to that of eating a peach. Some people would bite right into them as if. . .eating a peach, because the skin is so thin. The pit was small and flat, and the tree huge. Sounds like we're talking about the same cultivar. I'd love to get my hands on one of these trees!

• gnappi
    12 years ago

I was told that the "peach mango" was an "OLD FLORIDA" cultivar, out of favor because of new mango selections.

When I sold the house the people who bought it cut the magnificent tree down and I've never seen or heard of it again.

• zands
    12 years ago

Last mango season I saw someone advertising peach mangoes for sale on Craigs List. Pretty sure it was a Broward County listing...... I 'll be looking for that person in 2012

The Broward mango with ruler photo I posted ..... those mangoes had fat pits. They were not flat. The skins were thin and edible but I did not eat them. In 2012 I'll try eating the skins more.

Here is one internet reference to peach mango. My guess is some peach/turpentine mango trees gave nice to very nice fruit---->>>>

Miami River Rat 25-Jul-2010 12:15
    I thought I was the only one that remembered turpentine mangoes! Also referred to as peach mangoes and some other derogatory names. Stringy fiber that gets caught in your teeth and not-so-hot tasting. My sister and one cousin can't recall them at all. There was a huge old tree of turpentine mangoes near my house back when. It produced more than the whole city would want to eat.
    Parks: Let us know if you identify a mango that tastes better than a Hayden. I've never found one, but then I haven't lived in mango territory for 40+ years.
    http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/memories_comments_070110to123110

Here is a link that might be useful: peach mango reference

• Luis Martinez
    4 years ago

Hi, in case anyone else is interested there is a sugar mango tree planted on the sidewalk on SW 67 st off of SW 58th pl. In south miami just west of Murray Park. I used to work near there and I would pick up the fallen mangos during the season.

• HU-702638370
    4 years ago

How neat! I am nearby on Miller and San Amaro. Do they still have mangoes? My mangoes came and ended early this year.

• HU-559674785
    3 years ago

Is the sugar mango tree still there? Any other sources to get a fruit to propagate? Thanks lfdelcorral@yahoo.com

• HU-40191443949
    3 years ago

The tree is still there but I don’t know if it is bear any fruit right now.

• HU-559674785
    3 years ago

True perhaps it’s not in season. Where exactly is the tree? public place?

• HU-40191443949
    3 years ago

On the sidewalk of SW 67th st off the corner of SW 59th pl. west of Murray park in South Miami.

• HU-702638370
    3 years ago

The mangoes should be starting in May. That’s when my sugar mangoes ripen. You are welcome to mine when the season arrives.

• HU-559674785
    3 years ago

Super terrific. 305 331 7981

• HU-702638370
    3 years ago

I have a very bad memory, so please remind me when May comes around. 305 546 5329

• HU-368913788
    2 years ago

I live in Vancouver, Canada and these are available at many of the Asian supermarkets. Price is a little expensive, about US$5.00 per pound.

• HU-628906164
    last year

Sugar mangoes are incredibly sweet. Their flesh is creamy like a custard. Eating one is not enough because they are addictive like candy. Sugar mangoes are my favorite fruit in the world. i only get them when I visit Colombia.

Honest mangos. They are so thin-skinned that your selection from the store is flawless And you never get a bad one.

I absolutely love this mango.

• Donald Palumbo
    last year

Yes, their variety name is mango de azucar and they grow in Colombia

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations