Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Mango?

Posted by carbos (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 6, 11 at 14:48

A friend from Colombia was telling me about a mango she would always eat as a child in Colombia. It was referred to as a mango azucar, or sugar mango. She said they were very sweet, small, and the skin was very thin.
Not much more info than that. She has never seen this type here in south FL. Anyone have a clue as to what cultivar she might be talking about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Mango?

I've had it when I've been in Colombia.

Think it might be a polyembryonic seedling type based on how common it is down there....but it wasn't really fibrous like most of those types are. It was small and oval shaped. Don't think it has an English name other than 'sugar mango'.

o

o

Thanks for the replies. Zands, that sure seems to be the one. Did some searching online but haven't been able to find any info about it: tree size, growth habits, productivity, availability here in Florida, etc.

o

Interesting link Zand,

They looked like my premature Haden's from last year...that is a small and flat seed!In Mexico they have small mangos like that. In the Yucatan they have one called Manguita and the west coast another one called nino(first letter pronunce gn in french or nh in portugues) they are both super sweet but Manguita has a large seed.

JF

o

Carbos and JFernandez---
Here is a photo of some Broward county mangoes that were small, sweet, a bit fibrous. Probably the tree is a seedling tree. Maybe of a Haden but who knows? These have same reddish blush as the Colombian sucre mango. These cute little mangoes were good! Best place to eat these is outside because you are are going to make a mess eating them and get mango pulp and juice all over your face and hands

o

its colloquial name for a popular seedling strain, sometimes I hear people from the Carribean refer to them as "mangoteen" (not mangosteen)

Its popular to grow mangos from seed in many Countries. mango de pina or pineapple mango is another coloquial name for a common asian seedling strain found in Puerto Rico

o

That mango sounds an awful lot like a mango I had 30 odd years ago that was called a "peach mango". They were small, very sweet, juicy, but missing in your description they had a small flat pit, and no fiber at all. Just like a peach.

I got it only 5' tall or so, and in 6 years grew to a HUGE, size, NEVER had any fungal problems, grew like a weed and produced more mango than my whole social circle could eat or make into ice cream. I wish I could find another one, I'd lose the three I have happily to get one.

Gary

o

Gary, my wife described the experience of eating them to that of eating a peach. Some people would bite right into them as if. . .eating a peach, because the skin is so thin. The pit was small and flat, and the tree huge. Sounds like we're talking about the same cultivar. I'd love to get my hands on one of these trees!

o

I was told that the "peach mango" was an "OLD FLORIDA" cultivar, out of favor because of new mango selections.

When I sold the house the people who bought it cut the magnificent tree down and I've never seen or heard of it again.

o

Last mango season I saw someone advertising peach mangoes for sale on Craigs List. Pretty sure it was a Broward County listing...... I 'll be looking for that person in 2012

The Broward mango with ruler photo I posted ..... those mangoes had fat pits. They were not flat. The skins were thin and edible but I did not eat them. In 2012 I'll try eating the skins more.

Here is one internet reference to peach mango. My guess is some peach/turpentine mango trees gave nice to very nice fruit---->>>>

Miami River Rat 25-Jul-2010 12:15
I thought I was the only one that remembered turpentine mangoes! Also referred to as peach mangoes and some other derogatory names. Stringy fiber that gets caught in your teeth and not-so-hot tasting. My sister and one cousin can't recall them at all. There was a huge old tree of turpentine mangoes near my house back when. It produced more than the whole city would want to eat.
Parks: Let us know if you identify a mango that tastes better than a Hayden. I've never found one, but then I haven't lived in mango territory for 40+ years.
http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/memories_comments_070110to123110

Here is a link that might be useful: peach mango reference

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here