Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loquat from seed

Posted by surfbb62 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 14:58

So, I'm stubborn. Grew up in San Diego, where we had a beautiful loquat tree in our backyard. On my last trip down, I brought back several seeds from that tree. Just dumped them in Black Gold potting soil (my Dad grew his from sticking a seed in the ground) and what do you know? I have a seedling now. When he gets larger, can he survive outside, or will he always be an indoor tree? I live in Olympia, WA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loquat from seed

I am nothing even *remotely* like an expert. But if Olympia is very close to the coast, and if you're willing to take extraordinary measures (blankets, lights, etc) when it gets to around freezing, you could stick it outside. But it may not fruit in any case; http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/loquat.html seems to suggest it won't fruit much that far north.

o

I have some good news for you. They are easy from seed and much cold hardier than you think. I have a few trees in the ground in Zone 7 NJ--no protection needed. Your lack of Summer heat is more an issue. My biggest problem with them is to get them tall enough so that the local deer do not eat the evergreen leaves--which they seem to LOVE!

o

That's good to hear because I just had two more seedlings sprout. I am more concerned with the lack of sun for much of the year than the lack of heat in the summer. This past summer was plenty warm enough. I guess I could turn my spare room into a "grow room", but it's not as much fun.

o

I'm in zone 7/8 area. Planted a couple loquat plants from Home depot 7 or 8 years ago, and moved them once when we moved to our current house.
We always had problem with deers eating most of the leaves in the winter and the next spring the poor guys had to start over again. After we had our dog things have improved. Over past 2 years they gain a lot in size (now they are 7 feet and 4 feet tall, respectively) and this year, eventually the bigger one just set buds.
I also started feeding them last fall and spring, and that might made a difference too.
So I think the plants should be fine in Zone 8. However it will take longer if you start from seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here