o
ID please (sapote?)

Posted by greenman62 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 15:03

not sure what this could be
i did plant Cherimoya and Sapote
but neither nook like Cherimoya,
and
this is what they called the (sapote) seeds...

"15 Seeds Manilkara zapota Chico Sapote, Zapote, Chicle sapodilla"

the first (short) one is growing very slow.
The second (tall)one took off and passed up the other.

i had thought the 2nd was a sapote, but then, now what is the first one ?

---------
 photo cher_zps3accf037.jpg
-----------

photo sap2_zps6f2c647b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID please (sapote?)

They don't look the same to you? They do kind of look like the plants that come up with a google image search for 'Manilkara zapota leaf'

I'm no help.

r

o

Manilkara zapota is the scientific name for sapodilla (other common names: Chicku, Naseberry, Chicle, Nispero or Zapotilla.

Cant help you of if your plants look like sapodilla or not, have never seen them that small.

DM

Here is a link that might be useful: PI sapodilla viewer

o

It actually looks (at this young age) like some type of rubber, or ficus. I'm sure it's not sapote, at least the white sapote.
Did you ever ID it? Here's a white sapote seedling:
http://www.trumpetflowers.com/caresheets/how-to-care-and-grow-white-sapote.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: White Sapote seedling

o

Hmmm, sorry, didn't see your non-reference to white sapote :)
Did you ever find out what it was?

o

I've grown both Cherimoya and Sapote from seeds taken from store bought fruit (so I have no idea which variety they are). The seedling in your photo looks like a sapote to me. Mine is now many years older and the leaves have gotten longer than yours. So I would say that if you only planted those two types of seeds, this one is not the cherimoya.

o

thanks for the replies
still have no idea what they are.

the short stocky one does OK in the cold i found out
the taller one lost a couple of leaves, but looks like it will make it.
- just got the greenhouse built

o

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 0:43

Brad,

Second one look like sapodila/chico sapote to me. Cherimoya have fuzzy/furry leaves, both of those looks very smooth.

Sapodilla from Ethan's list of plant for sale http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=837.msg10294#msg10294

and from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapodilla-Fruit-Tree-Seedling-or-for-Bonsai-from-So-FL-bigger-/221345929740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33893eda0c

cherimoya seedlings http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHERIMOYA-Fruit-Tree-Seedling-Annona-cherimola-Custard-Apple-one-PLANT-/141151555654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20dd49d046

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here