Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lychee leaves curling?

Posted by tidusid 9a houston (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 10 at 15:11

I bought a small lychee brewster plant a few weeks ago. I already have a an Emperor. Today I went outside and noticed that a lot of the leaves were curling, they look healthy but they are just curled. My emperor looks fine.

Could the fact that during the summer it was in a shady spot in the nursery and that its been warming up from a slight cold front we had a while back make it do this?

Maybe I'm just not watering it enough either. I was watering it once or twice a week, I'm used to my citrus I guess.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lychee leaves curling?

Are they curling from the sides of the leaves towards the mid line or are they curling from the tip towards the leaf stem? Pictures would help.

Harry

o

o

Posted the picture for you. That looks to me like drought stress. Insufficient water. The new growths are the most susceptable to this. The already hardened off leaves have their own mositure source self contained in the hardened off foliage. This could also be a root problem, which, if it is, you'll see this drying up with the established leaves as well in short order. That, in case you haven't realized, is not a good sign. Funeral arrangements should be considered thereafter. But, I think it is probably the former and not the latter. How is the soil and soil moisture?

o

Yep - I agree with Harry - it looks like water stress. The cherry rio grande or pitomba to the right also appears to be suffering from water stress. Make sure to keep them puppies watered. Just be careful not to overwater the lychee.

Jeff

o

Alright thanks guys, Yeah I guess I haven't been watering them enough. I've been so used to growing citrus and I'm new to gardening in general so I guess I skimped.

And Larry, thanks, but I linked it for a reason, so it wouldn't stretch out the page like you did, lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here