Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

First Mango Bloom of the 2009-2010 Season

hmhausman
14 years ago

Noticed today that my first mango blooms of the new season are here. When I say first bloom, I do not count a wayward bloom pannicle on a branch here and there. I only consider it the first bloom if most of the terminal buds on the tree are pushing bloom at the same time. No, they are not on Chou Anon (a.k.a. Choc Anon, Chok Arnon), nor any other SE Asian mango. The blooms are on my Martinez mango. This is a mango that I grafted from scions from a tree on the property of Bob Martinez in Davie, FL. Eric LaBrum, former plant procurer for the Broward Rare Fruit and Vegetable Council brought me some with the promise that it bears realiably in February and March each year. It has done exactly that since it began bearing 2 years ago. The two trees I have are small.......5-7 feet tall, so I am not sure how big the tree gets. In researching the mother tree (which I haven't seen in person), I learned that it was originally planted By a Dr. Robert Wolf. Dr. Wolf was a chemical engineer who worked with fertilizer formulation here in Florida years ago. I believe he has passed on now. However, a friend recently may have uncovered a possible informaation trail when he met some of Dr. Wolf's relatives who had some knowledge about the hoticultural pursuit. I am still seeking further information.

No indication of blooms on Chou Anon....just for the record.

I did see Ataulfo mangos in Whole Food Market tody. They were selling for 3 for $5. They were very small. Almost bought some but then decided not to when I smelled them and they had no fragrance at all.

Comments (138)

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Next up for the coming into bloom parade is Graham, Julie, and Thai Everbearing. Here's a shot of Julie.

{{!gwi}}

And, an update shot of my Martinez mango:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• bradfl
    14 years ago

hmh~

How about sending us some of the warm weather. You certainly do get a head start.

Gorgeous trees !

But wait.

Be well

(o_O)

• jlgarden53
    14 years ago

Hmhuasman,
    If you are going to do the shipping next year, please put me on your lists. Always want to have a taste of these different mango varieties. Kent and champagne are the only good mangos I can find here.
    I got a Nam Doc Mai from Florida this February. The tree came with flower pinnacles on it. Should get some fruit in the next 2-3 years. But the tree has been grown poorly under my care. All young branches were knocked out by a baseball size hailstorm in spring. New branches were grown but are only pencil size branches and less than 12" of total grow for the entire summer. Even my Champagne seedling grown for 4 months, 6" tall, 4 small leaves and the trunk is about the size of a toothpick. With the grow rate like this, getting mangos from members here is a sure bet.
    Mark

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mark:

I really haven't started a list....perhaps I should. I'll post as fruit matures and see who would be interested. While I may have some early fruit this year, there isn't usually any available for sale until May or so.

Harry

• jlgarden53
    14 years ago

will wait till next May :)
    Mark

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Harry you need to have an open house. I would definitely make the drive to check out your yard in peak season. I may go broke after buying all of your fruit but it will be more than worth it.

• mangobaby
    14 years ago

Harry,

Count me in the list for ALL varieties of your mangoes. I can't wait for summer to arrive.

Thanks,
    Raghu

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Noticed more bloom today. The new additions to the list include Gary, Extrema, Rataul, and Maha Chanook. I think we are going to start blooming everywhere very soon.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Harry I would definetly like to be on your list. It would be beneficial to be able to sample mango before buying the tree. I would be interested in other fruit also.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

Harry should start a mail order business. He could probably sell all his mangos and lychees to us on GW.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Next up in going into bloom is Cogshall, Kau Dwarf and Mallindi. Still nothing in the way of bloosoms on Chou Anon...for all of you Chou Anon hopefuls.

• dghays
    14 years ago

HMH, how do you like the Gary mango? It was a favorite of one of the Zill sons. I got one since it had such a wonderful name.

Gary :)

• sour_diesel
    14 years ago

my Rosiegold is starting to bud out, im not keeping the mangos though, the trunk is about a year too skinny.

also my neighbors tree is starting to bud on its new growth. according to my neighbor it was over 40 foot high when Wilma topped it and it never fruited since. 4 years later it has plenty new growth thats budding. my neighbor bought the house with the tree in the yard in the 80's. i assumed it was a Kent because of its huge size, 15 feet in diameter and who knows how tall if it werent for Wilma it would be now. im not sure what it is because its budding early. i guess ill have to wait for the fruit to tell.

tomorrow ill take some quick pics

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Next up in mango blooming I noticed today was Dot and Glenn.

Gary:
    I really liked the Gary mango when I first tasted it year before last, but it was just a one or two fruit season. Last year I had the first decent sized crop but wasn't able to enjoy it as it got water logged by two weeks of heavy rains right around harvest time. You can rest assured, if Gary Zill named it.....with his name, it has to be good. This tree was given to me as a gift....by a visitor to my house a few summers ago. Wasn't it you? If it wasn't, it was someone from up your way. I think it was you.

• sour_diesel
    14 years ago

BTW; i bought a chou-anon from Pine Island 3 months ago, it had a bloom panicle that fell off shortly after then grew two branches of new bright green flush growth. it was the only one out of the 25 or so they had that had a bloom so i picked it out wishfully thinking it will continue to be as precocious.

• swrancher
    14 years ago

All this talk and pictures of Mango blooms got me thinking about my trees blooming. Most of them are still small except for the Valencia Pride and Pickering trees. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the Valencia Pride, hopeful about the Pickering and Carrie but not so hopeful about the Rosigold, Angie or Julie trees for this year. Harry - When do your Valencia Pride and Pickering trees normally bloom January, Febuary?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tony:

They can bloom as late as February and still have fruit for their regular seasons.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Next up in the bloom parade.......Cushman

• sour_diesel
    14 years ago

Harry, do your Cushman trees have poor disease resistance like PI suggests they do?

• mangobaby
    14 years ago

Harry,

When do these mangoes bloom for you - Alphonso, Lancetilla, Mallika, Nam Doc Mai?

Thanks,
    Raghu

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sour Diesel:
    No, my Cushman trees have at least average disease resistance...perhaps even above average. My Cushman trees are not the heaviest of bearers. But, what fruit the trees do bear are really some of my favorite mangos.
    Raghu:
    I can't give you a definite answer for several reasons. First, this is the first year that I have been involved in a forum/blog like this where I have actually recorded the order of trees coming into blossom. While I have pretty good recollection on most things regarding my trees, the fact that blooming times vary each year for almost all the trees prevents me from having any real fix on the trees you are asking about. I am sure that if I had a previous blog you would find certain varieties to be perennially in the beginning group. But based on what I am seeing this year and logging here, there would be considerably different order from year to year. I can tell you that the trees you mentioned have not gone into bloom in my yeard as of yet this year. I will post the beginnings of their blooming as soon as I notice them starting.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

Harry. Imagine if you had a blog with pics and descriptions of your fruit. I would totally stalk your blog.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Noticed the beginnings of blooms on Alphonso and Nam Doc Mai See Tong. The latter might be the same as Sia Tong (which grows right next to it). The fruits look almost identical but they were sent to me from Thailand with two different names. Who knows, for all I know they are the same and they were just called differently at the different nurseries that they were purchased at.

Just did a count and it now appears that about 1/4 of my mango trees are beginning to bloom. Just for the record.

Tammy:
    I would love to do it, but time is the issue. I'll do my best to keep up with what is going on here.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Noticed Bailey's Marvel going into bloom this morning.

• sour_diesel
    14 years ago

my Rosiegold is in bloom and my Chou anon was in bloom when i bought it, lol.

that makes 1/5 of my trees that are blooming, have bloomed :)

• swrancher
    14 years ago

None of mine are doing anything yet...Hopefully they will start soon.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mango bloom of the day......Mallika and Golden Lippens

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This morning's yard walk reveals blooms starting on Irwin (an old Florida cultivar) and Dian Guaw a SE Asian variety from Thailand. Re: Dian Guaw.....I am not really sure if that is a correct name or not. I have had it for about 15 years and it has produced reliably for about the last 8 or 9 years, skipping only the year after Hurrican Wilma. It is a very large fruited variety for a SE Asian cultivar. It is typically longer than it is wide but doesn't have the "S" shape that many SE Asian types have. The fruit doesn't color up too much with ripeness. The flavor nice and sweet. It has no fiber and a yellow colored flesh. I have found nothing about it on the internet and even the person who sent it to me (who now lives full time in Thailand) doesn't remember it and claims to have never heard of it. The name Dian Guaw was on a label attached to the plant...but it was a bit faded out. For all I know, Dian Guaw is the name of someone in Thailand who was going to purchase that tree but never did and they left the label with the previous prospective purchaser on it when my friend picked it out to buy. In any case, it is a nice mango and the growth habit seems to be that of a grafted tree....so, what the heck is in a name anyway.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Hello Harry,
    Well it sounds like the majority of your mangoes have bloomed or are blooming. How do you keep track of all these named mango varieties?? I know its got to be hard. Do you label them so you can remember? I know what you mean about the name. The only thing is it keeps you from buying the same one more then once. How long do you think it will be for your first tree ripened fruit?
    Andrew

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

My Nam Doc Mai has started to bloom, and my Edward is mid-bloom. My Alphonso has also just started. My Rosigold and little Fairchild are in full bloom. Nothing on my Dot, Mallika, Keitt,Glenn or Southern Blush. I'm in mid-northern Brevard county, FL.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

New mangos in bloom this morning include......Bombay, Carrie and Zill.

• dr_scifi
    14 years ago

My Valencia nor my Carrie Blooming yet. Has anyone with Valencia bloom yet?

BTW, Carrie is the best!! I just love that mango. IT is second to none and I love me Mangoes. I also love the Choc-anon and Kent.... Wow, seems like I love them all :-)

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

harry- keep the pics coming. love how every day nearly, u r posting about mango trees in bloom. and now for my stunning news. my one and only mango tree (fairchild) has new growths from all 3 (yes thats 3) branch tips. hoobloodyray. hopefully, there will be a bloom spike on at least one of the 3 growths.

btw- i love how a casual request by me if you sell fruit has generated about 5 zillion me too requests. seems like u will be able sell thousands of mangoes to forum members.

• dr_scifi
    14 years ago

I sure will buy!

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dr Scifi:

Send me your contact info by e-mail and I'll be sure to send you notice of what I have available (assuming this cold goes away in time to have a crop at all). Where are you located? Would you be interested in an invite to come to my house during season? I have been threatening to have all the local Tropical Fruit Forum people over for a mango/lychee tasting. Let me know.

Harry

• yaslan
    14 years ago

Once again your pictures do not disappoint Harry! Please add me to your list.

Thank you!
    Bo

• dr_scifi
    14 years ago

Hi Harry,

I have emailed you my contact info. I am located in North Miami Beach, so same zone. I would love to see your trees.

-Richard

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After a brief pause in blooming for the freeze, noticed blooms today on Pettigrew and Pim Saen Mun.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Harry,
    Will there be any mangoes end of July beginning of August? That is when I will be there. If you tell me that the season will all ready be over, I would still like to tour your beutifuul orchard. I am not planning another trip back to FL next year. I am hoping to make it to P.R. for mango and mangosteen season. Probobly won't go back to FL till 2012.
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew:

I don't think I have ever been mango-less until at least the end of August. Much will depend on how this last cold spell affects the blooming cycle on some of the trees. So we are still in some sense, uncharted waters. I am sure we will be able to scrounge up some fresh fruit for you though.

Harry

• dr_scifi
    14 years ago

Yeah, Hope my trees start to bloom soon. This cold spell prevented all my trees from Blooming.

• franktank232
    14 years ago

Just a heads up, but looking at one of the computer models this afternoon showed ridging over Cuba in about 8 days...this would lead to some very warm S. FL temps.. Maybe we can break some high temp records!

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today's newly noticed blooms are Duncan, Fairchild and Spirit of 76.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not quite to the half way point in mango blooming. I still have just under 50 varieties that have not bloomed yet. I think things are going to really start heating up in the next two weeks. By February, we should be in full swing. And....I think I also see the beginnings of lychee bloom.....finally. Early Large Red is furthest along, with Mauritius not far behind.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Had the pleasure of a guest from this forum to my house today. Lycheeluva and I did an extensive walk thru the yard checking for new developments.....especially on the lychee front. It looks like the rest of the mangoes that have not bloomed, are almost all beginning to push their annual buds. Yes, even the miraculous Chou Anon is going to now bloom. There's no point in deliniating any further between the next to bloom. The late varieties such as Keitt, Neelum, Kent and even Valencia Pride haven't begun pushing bloom as of yet, but they will be shortly. I am also awaiting bloom on a couple of mango seedlings that I have never had fruit from. Mangoes survived the freeze very well here and we should have a very heavy crop (barring any more ridiculous Arctic oscillations). As trees set their crops I'll post pictures.

• jun_
    13 years ago

just wanted to add, they do have cherries now that will grow with 100-200 chill hours. I think they're called Royal Lee and Minnie royal, something like that. Bay Laurel has them

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jun:

Checked out Bay Laurel......unfortunately I found:

MINNIE ROYAL
    Price: $ 25.95
    Medium sized red cherry with good flavor and a low chill requirement. Tree is very productive and ripens 11-14 days ahead of Bing. Pollinated by Royal Lee. 200 to 300 hours.

ROYAL LEE
    Price: $ 25.95
    Medium-large red heart-shaped cherry is firm with excellent flavor. Tree is very productive with a low chill requirement. Pollinated by Minnie Royal. 200 to 300 hours.

Both requiring 200-300 chill hours. Even with this past record cold year, I am not sure I would ever get fruit. Did I miss something you saw?

Harry

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

So no mangoes for sell? Maybe they are all done? I was blessed with TOns of Valencia this year. gave away to tons of friends and family. Even shipped some to other states. I think I will prune the tree as it got too big. This is is second year fruiting. For some reason, my valencia's are pretty big. I mean, they are huge. My momma say I have a green thumb :-)

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Richard:

Sorry....no mangoes for sale this year. Between the birds, racoons possums and my family needs......no real quantity left to sell. I have had a couple of the Forum members over to taste the limted fruit I have. I extended an open invitation to all the local Forum members. Hoping that next year we will be back in business and have lots of fruit available to sell.

Harry

• Gerald Torres
    13 years ago

I just started following along some of your threads while searching for mango info, and I'm just dying to taste some of these alien fruits. I'd like to fall in line for next year's crop!