Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Mango Bloom of the 2009-2010 Season

Posted by hmhausman FL 10B (hmhausman@aol.com) on
Sat, Oct 17, 09 at 15:20

Noticed today that my first mango blooms of the new season are here. When I say first bloom, I do not count a wayward bloom pannicle on a branch here and there. I only consider it the first bloom if most of the terminal buds on the tree are pushing bloom at the same time. No, they are not on Chou Anon (a.k.a. Choc Anon, Chok Arnon), nor any other SE Asian mango. The blooms are on my Martinez mango. This is a mango that I grafted from scions from a tree on the property of Bob Martinez in Davie, FL. Eric LaBrum, former plant procurer for the Broward Rare Fruit and Vegetable Council brought me some with the promise that it bears realiably in February and March each year. It has done exactly that since it began bearing 2 years ago. The two trees I have are small.......5-7 feet tall, so I am not sure how big the tree gets. In researching the mother tree (which I haven't seen in person), I learned that it was originally planted By a Dr. Robert Wolf. Dr. Wolf was a chemical engineer who worked with fertilizer formulation here in Florida years ago. I believe he has passed on now. However, a friend recently may have uncovered a possible informaation trail when he met some of Dr. Wolf's relatives who had some knowledge about the hoticultural pursuit. I am still seeking further information.

No indication of blooms on Chou Anon....just for the record.

I did see Ataulfo mangos in Whole Food Market tody. They were selling for 3 for $5. They were very small. Almost bought some but then decided not to when I smelled them and they had no fragrance at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Mango Bloom of the 2009-2010 Season

I haven't talked with Eric in a year or two...since he supposedly dropped out of the rare fruit fun. I met up with Eric back in 2004. He organized a Whitman tour that I joined in on.

o

I saw Eric a week ago....he's doing OK. He had a bit of a falling out with some of the Board members of the RFVC of Broward.....some misunderstanding between them, as I understand it. He used to work on the Whitman property before Whitman died. He had access to lots of good stuff at one time. In fact, he brought by some mangosteens from Whitman's property and I was able to taste mangosteen for the first time.

o

How would you rate the taste of the Martinez mango?

o

It is not that easy for me to give an accurate rating. I have only had a couple of fruits and they were over a two year period (2 seasons). Since they are so early, I have never had them side by side with any other mango. I can tell you the mango is fiberless and colors up beautifully. It is sweet without the strong twang that many are fond of. But it has a more complex flavor than the SE Asian varieties. It has been such a pleasure seeing it, smelling it and then eating it when there have been no mangos for months that I recognize that my opinion of it may be someawhat skewed. I have only had a few Rosigolds. I think it is similar. In fact, I am not absolutley sure that this mango isn't Rosigold or perhaps a seedling of Rosigold. There are some differences in the appearance of the fruit but they are not so disimilar that I can say that they are definitely not related. As I said, I had two grafts take and I planted them both out. One tree is going into bloom now and the other has a about half of the tree pushing bloom and the other half is still hardening off its last vegetative flush. The second tree did the same thing last year....which was great, because it had two crops.....about 2 months between them

o

The next mango tree now showing bloom is.......not surprisingly, Rosigold and the third is a very surprising.......Edward...but only one of the 4 trees that I have. Still conspicuous in its absence from this early off season bloom is Choc Anon. Go figure. :-(

o

The next of my mango trees to show bloom is Jakarta. Only a few spikes, so far. This is not unusual as Jakarta regularly blooms early and usually a total of three times in successive flushes. This happens because the tree sets very few fruits. This year I am going to try to be more aggressive with copper fungicide application. I generally spray very little or not at all. Some varieties, like Jakarta, suffer from lack of production. We'll see how my intentions and the results pan out. In the meantime, no sign of bloom on Chou Anon or Thai Everbearing.

o

Very cool and exciting Hausman!! Keep us posted...lucky you!

I need to move to zone 10,lol...

o

Lucky You! My tree's not blooming at all yet. I'm in a 9b (central fl) though. It apears that no trees in my area are blooming either so I don't know what to think. I wish I was in a zone 10.

o

Harry can you post some pics of your first bloomers. I would like to see how your flowers look. maybe I can judge how much longer mine will take to open. I also spoke to my cusin in Brandon FL. She told me that she would go back to the Nursery In Seffner to buy me another mango or whatever I wanted. I am going to see if she can go over this weekend to Kirby's and see what they have.
Andrew

o

Andrew:

Here are some shots of one of my Martinez mango trees...per your request.

And for good measure, here are some Abiu blossoms I found today on my seedling Abiu.

o

Harry,
Is this the first time your abiu has flowered? If not, how is your fruits quality?

o

Thanks Harry,
That looks pretty much like mine right now except there sre still floer clusters on top of the infl. that have not fully developed so I think I may have a lttle wait yet. Thanks for the picks. Abiu-something else I have never tried yet.
Andrew

o

Murahilin:

I have two seedling Abius...both from Pine Island Nursery. Each has a distinct growth habit. They are planted next to each other and although they both went down in Hurricane Wilma, they were propped up and they survived and are quite bushy 8-10 foot trees now. They both bloom sporadically throughout the year...not necessarily at the same time, although usually it is within 3 weeks of each other. The trees have been in the ground for probably 15 years. Not the one I show here, but the other one has set fruits (two of them) once, about 8 years ago. The fruits were maturing just as we were planning to go away for a summer vacation. Of course, when we returned, the fruits were gone. The investigation is still pending but the primary suspects are a racoon or one of my lawnman's workers. I am hoping to get some production out of these trees soon. Maybe this is the year.

o

Harry,
A question about the citrus in the background of your nice Martinez mango. Is hat tree sick? I don't know much about the problem with the citrus, except the quarentine has been going on for quite awhile now. do you think any progress has been made?

o

Andrew:

The area where this Martinez mango is planted once was the home of about 30 varieties of citrus. It is also an area that is subject to flooding. Over the years, the citrus trees have been dying out. The only citrus trees I have left that have weathered all the flooding are Pommelo trees. There are a few others hanging in (Satsuma Mandarin "Owari" and an Ugli Orange) and a relative new planting of a Meyers lemon that is still looking OK. The rest of the trees look like the one you see and it is just a matter of time until I replace them with something more tropical that can handle the periodic flooding. We did have the citrus canker issue here in S. FL....but my trees didn't have it and so they were spared the cutting down that went on when that erradication was on going. The town I live in, Davie, was once a large citrus and citrus juice producing area. That gradually faded out and then was fully stopped when the citrus canker eradication program destroyed about 95% of the existing trees in the town.

o

Andrew, I live near Kirby's and can tell you that there are definitly some cheaper nurseries in the brandon/tampa area. Where are you? Down in wimauma there is Nipa Hut gardens/nursery. They have many trees there and for a fraction of the price! Have you checked with your local rare fruit council?

What variety are you looking for?

o

AWESOME Pictures...I am really jealous now!! Thanks for the great pics!!

o

Mangodude, I don't live in Fl. my cousin lives really close there, and it is convienent for her to go there. I have thinking of having her buy me another tree and sending it to me in NY. I open to suggestions though! How much cheaper are we talking?

o

Hi Andrew, I've never been to nipa hut gardens but they seem to get great reviews and offer good return policies. Most of there mango trees are between 2-5ft. tall and are about $30-40 I couldn't find out how much shipping is so I'm thinking that it might be included. It might be more beneficial for you to just go to their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nipa Hut Gardens

o

Mangodude,
Thanks for your help. The only reason why I am looking at Kirby's is because I want to see if they have varieties I don't have, but I do like Nippa hut's prices!
Andrew

o

Hmhausman, about how many mangos do you get on those trees that are flowering now? It looks like you would have over 100 mangos considering the amount of small mangos on there now.

Thanks

o

Mangodude: The tree is still small. It flowered last year for the first time so I didn't let too many fruit remain on the tree to maturity. I think I had 5 fruits in all last year. This year I will probably allow about 10-15 fruits to reach maturity. More than that and the tree will slow down its growth too much. If I let it, I could probably mature 50 fruits on a tree that size. That would basically be a fruit per pannicle. You shouldn't allow more than one fruit per pannicle if you want to maximize the size of the fruits.

o

This post has changed so many times I think I will add a new topic. I wont be doing this anytime soon but I would like to add one last fruit tree tom my collection, mayb LOL! I am very fond of Cherimoya/Guanabana. I would like to find a tree that I can keep small, and also have fruit that when fully ripe are not huge, but sweet and tangy. I think that is the best combo when it comes to these fruit. Does anyone have any suggestions?? There is no rush on this question as i said IF I decide to get one it wont be until summer. I am making space right now for 2 more mango trees. I have said this before but I have had such a hard time deciding what I am going to buy. I am hoping to have my order in by the middle of next week. Thanks a lot.
Andrew

o
Sorry

I thought I was in grafted nutmeg post. thats what happens when you think about too many things at one time!!

o

I just noticed that my Rosigold and Fairchild mango are both flowering. This is the first year my Fairchild is in the ground so it may be screwed up internally, but the Rosigold is right on time. I really, really like the Rosigold (from the 3 I've had off of my tree).

o

Here's a couple of shots of my Edward mango in bloom.

One of my straggly jaboticaba that never fully recovered from Hurricane Wilma. I tricked it into an off season fruiting by flooding it for a day.

Here's my Ross Sapote

Some black skinned Oasis Avocados that are weighing down a branch that hangs over my patio.

One of my Cacao trees that has begun flowering

My Mammey Apple (mammea americana) tree

Dwarf Ambarella (June Plum)

And for good measure, here is a picture of a cherry tree that was growing in a backyard of a townhouse we rented while on vacation in Montreal. All you crazy people up north trying to grow tropicals....meanwhile I would give anything to grow some temperate fruits like cherries here in Florida. You know, it is easier to keep things warm and grow tropicals up north than for us to give necessary chill hours to temperate fruiting trees. I guess I could rent a very large freezer to get the chilling done.....lol......better not give myself any ideas.

o

Harry,
Well I think it is kinda funny how you floridians wish you could grow something as ordinary as a cherry tree! Kinda like I waish I had a yard I could plant mango and cocnut palms! You still got me beat, I would trade all the cherries in the world not to have to shovel 3 feet of snow during a snow storm! I would miss the spring flowers lilac, flowering qiunce. I could go on annd on!
Andrew

o

Noticed a few more blooms spikes this morning. These are on Tong Dam and Beverly (a late variety of all things). Not sure if these are just a wayward bloom or if the whole tree is beginning its bloom cycle.

o

Incredible looking trees. Is this the first year your cacao has flowered? I have a pair of them that are doing amazingly well in pots, but they are nowhere near the size of yours. It would be a bit depressing if I still have so long before seeing a flower. I was actually hoping I might next year.

o

Well I just contacted Top and spoke to owner I believe his name is Mike. I questioned him on the Julie to find out if he thought it would be a good selection to grow and he said that Julie only does well in Miami and Jamaica. I then said I would not want this and asked what would be a good substitute. He told me that Cogshall was close in flavor. I was wondering what people thought of that. He told me that Ice Cream was good with a unique flavor. He said it was a hard to describe taste. So I am going to order this and the Lancetilla.
Andrew

o

Thanks...Jsvand5. My cacao is in its 3rd year of blooming...but no fruit yet. Not sure what I'll do with the fruit if it ever fruits, but I am hoping one comes along soon. My tree is actually still in a pot. I left it in the pot becuase the area where I planted it will flood and I didn't want the standing water to kill the tree. I don't think you'll have much longer to wait...you should see some flowers on your trees in the not too distant future. They begin to bloom fairly early.

Andrew:
I don't think I agree very much with Mr. Owner at Tops. Firstly, Julie does very well in Jamaica and Trinidad and any of the warm, breezy islands. It doesn't do well in Miami, unless you really keep it doused with fungicide. I think you could grow it. But, Ice Cream is also good. It has more of a resinous twang than Julie....but it is quite good. Cogshall is not close in flavor to Julie...IMHO. Cogshall is also excellently flavored but just doesn't taste anything like a Julie to me. I actually prefer the taste of Cogshall to Julie...but that is just me. Bottom line...you will enjoy any of these. Julie and Ice Cream are nice small growers. Good luck with your selection.

Harry

o

AWESOME TREES!! Your trees are just amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Bluepalm, CONGRATS on your Rosigold and Fairchild mangoes blooming!! Great news for you!!

o

Thanks for the info about the cacao's. I am think I may put both trees in one very large pot during the next pot up. I am short on space and they don't seem to have much of a root system anyway. What do you think about that idea?

o

Jsvand5:

I don't see why you couldn't try them in a big pot. As I said, I left mine in a large pot because of the flooding issue. My intention is to allow the plant to root through the pot into the ground. I originally thought that these trees got too big to be in a pot, but then I found this picture on the internet. The size of the trunk and limbs of my tree are just about the same size. So, I could certainly see a tree this size in a pot.

o

Harry,
I finally made my purchase with Top. I decided after a long month, that I would go with the Ice Cream and the Lancetilla. I almost ordered the Julie but I was not sure if it would fruit reliably or not. Thanks for the advice, I just wanted to go with two that would grown fine. I also read on previous posts that Julie can grow quite large. I may try her later. Now I have to wait till after Thanksgiving for oder to ship. Iam keeping fingers crossed that temps can hold out a lil longer.
Andrew

o

Andrew:

You won't be disappointed. Both good choices. Julie is not large grower though. It is every bit as small as Ice Cream and a fraction the size of Lancetilla. Anyway....best of luck getting them in before the Ice Age begins.

Harry

o

Harry,
Doy think that Ice Cream is a really slow grower? I am just wondering if I should have gone with Julie. I don't want to wait 5-10 years for fruit. Please give me your opinion. Thanks
Andrew

o

• Posted by tammysf 9b/10a or sz15/16 (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 18, 09 at 23:08

Hi andrew

I bought an icecream and lancetilla from top and out of my 4 mangos it is the slowest grower.

From fastest to slowest grower of my trees:

Lancetilla
Glenn
Carrie
Icecream

My icecream keeps on sending out inflorescense and not new leaves :( I see something pushing out so ill let you know if it is flowers or leaves.

o

Tammy do you regret buying it? I have one last question for you. When you get flwoers do you let them develop into fruit? I have been told that if you remove the blooms without letting them turn into fuit first, they tree will not think it has fruited and will flower again. Have you had any fruit yet? I am hoping for at least one Cogshall. I wont let more then a couple develop as I want the tree to grow more first.
Andrew

o

Andrew:

Tammy's post reflects what would be the normal growing rate for the trees she has. Notice that she doesn't have Julie. Julie would be on a par with Ice Cream. Either is an excellent choice that you will not be disappointed in if you can get them to fruit. Actually, both are highly susceptible to anthracnose and are difficult to set fruit on here is S. FL. Hopefully, under your conditions you will not have the same problem we have. I hope this helps.

Harry

o

i am looking at your trees and mangoes in particular and am surprized that they bloom in nov. originally coming from south india, i am used to seeing many varieties, however all of them in april to maybe august. they are so seasonal that i and many indians would associate hot indian summers with eating mangoes. just a pleasent surprize.

living in south florida, i am also impressed with the number of tropical trees you have. (the small lots and all). since i plan to start planting fruit trees and coconuts next year, i have been looking at this forum and have to thank you all for the info.

regards,
Radha.

o

Thu, Nov 19, 09 at 11:19

Hi andrew

I don't really have any regrets but I just bought these trees this year so not enough time to give any of the trees to reach their potential here.

First time inflorescense, just cut them off. They came back and let small mangos develop about the size of pencil eraser then cut off. Third time they came back again and I let mangos get bigger and let blossom stalk dry up on its own so hopefully this will do it and the new growth I see will be leaves and not more flowers.

I let a couple lancetilla get about 2 inches but then pruned them off. After I did that I got the biggest growth flush on my lancetilla.

o

Tammy,
I am still not sure if I will keep the Ice cream mango or switch it the Julie. I don't have tons of room, and I would still like to try my hands at grafting. I have had some offers for budwood and would like to start some seedlings. I just have not seen any mango in the store that has been worth buying. I am not going to buy mango just for rootstock, they have to be tasty. Can you update your mangp ics? Your cherimoya looks great in the ground.
Andrew

o

Andrew,I have ice cream mango and julie mango.my julie mango have only grown about 4in.the last year,as for my ice cream it is a better grower than julie.My ice cream has been putting out new sets of branches.I do not think julie grows well in california..just my opinion.here is my ice cream mango during it's growth flush in September.I will post picture tomorrow on how my ice cream mango looks like now.
Sept(09)Ice cream mango
Mango "Ice cream"

o

Jay,
Thanks for your pics. I just don't know if I want to change my order from Ice Cream to Julie. I should have just gone with my gut and I have heard people say that the Ice Cream has a resinous flavor. I don't know what that means and i hope it is not something that I find out I don't like where as the flavor of Julie would be great. California has a drier climate right? Just wonderin because the one thing that I keep hearing is that humidity is a big issue.
Andrew

o

You really should not worry about which tree nurseries say is more or less prone to anthracnose. You are growing in a totally different climate you know more than the nurseries about conditions in your area. I would worry more about keeping your mangoes warm enough and less about a disease that you may not even experience in your area.

As far as taste, I much preferred the the Julie over the Ice cream. I have tasted maybe 10 varieties, and I think Julie is probably the best I have tasted. Next closest was carrie.

o

I finally decided to officially change my order to the Julie instead of the Ice Cream. I wanted this the day I ordered and I let the guy change my mind. I hate when I do that, I need to stick to what I want and not to what others tell me. I am not talking about this forum. I appreciate everything you guys have done to help me. Harry helped me with my anthracnose problem, Ch3rri helped me with my Sugar apple seedlings which are growing really fast. I could go on and on. I definetly don't know everything when it comes to growing tropicals and I appreciate everything you guys have done to help me.
Jsvand- I appreciate you letting me know what you thought about the flavors of Ice Cream and Julie. This is why I have changed my order. I can't afford the space to have a mango that I really don't like. As far as the temperatures go I think I do pretty well in the winter. My bedroom is like a hot house. There are to many baseboard units. When I set the temperature control for the heat at 65, my room is a good ten degrees warmer which is perfect for my tropicals. I must be doing something right because my keylike is loaded with buds, and from what I read this tree will not bud if the temps are too cool. As far as humidity goes, the humidity does not normally get that high here, at least for a long period of time. I would say around mid July to end of August the ave. temps are around 75-85 with humidity around 50-60%. I read that high humidity during bud production is what the problems are. I put my fruit trees out around the end of April and the temps are inthe low to mid 60's and humidity is normally about 50% until May which is kind of iffy. It can either be really wet, or just average and in this case I can bring the Julie back in and put it under lights until bud set and I have copper fungicide to use if needed. Again thanks to everyone for helping me with this stressfull situation. I guess I am a little nutty to get worked up about a mango tree!
Andrew

o

OMG...these are some great looking trees!!! Makes me feel so excited...hehehe. Just love looking at these pictures...giving me the bug bite again.

o

I got an email from Top this morning. Mike(the owner I believe) told me that he would not reccomend the switch from Ic Cream to Julie. He said it is a warm weather mango that does not tolerate cool conditions. Personally I did not know there were mangoes that would be considered cold tolerant! He also said that it needs other mangoes around to fruit. I guess he did not rememeber that i told him that Julie would NOT be by itself. I would have Lancetilla and Cogshall also. This guy seems reluctant to sell me Julie. Doe anyone think he has a point?
Andrew

o

I think his point is that he may have more Ice Cream trees to sell than Julies......I certainly wouldn't agree with the rationale stated for selecting one over the other.

o

I think youre very right Harry. There's never a problem selling all the Julies in South Florida but no one ever seems to want to buy an Ice Cream mango.

o

You know what guys, it really doesn't matter what his motives are. I checked his site today and he had 0 for his available Ice Creams and 3 for his available Julies. I emailed him about how he mentioned that Julies are a "weaker" tree, I mentioned that if Julie was a "weaker" mango variety maybe I should get a larger tree. Now that I think about it he did mention that he would have to go and see what he had available. If it wasn't for the fact that I had 30% off my order I would have waited till spring to buy these trees. Pine told me they don't offer heat packs to keep plants warm during shipping. Nippa did offer this but they were out of Lancetilla. Trust me I was trying to avoid ordering from Top. I just wanted to get these mangoes as soon as I could. I wanted that head start. BTW I don't think at this point I will have any mangoes that are going to develop on my Cogshall. I noticed whole flower stems were falling off the inf. I know it is normal, but what is left still growing is very small. Oh well maybe I can get one to develop next year. It is better for the tree anyhow. Since it has been many years and I never had a mango tree survive past its bloom time, is it safe for me to prune it after all the infl. fall off? I really want to whack it back to encourage more branches to grow. I have the same game plan for Lancetilla and Julie after about a month. I want them to be able to recover/adjust to there new home. I have one last question. In my area we don't have a lot of potting soil choices. I know it is a good idea to stay away from Miracle Grow because it is too heavy. I was in Walmart yesterday and noticed a new product that frankly surprised me. It was called Miracle Grow potting soil for Citrus, Palms, and Cacti. I was thinking this might be a better option. I was considering a potting soil for cacti for my new mango trees. I don't have a lot of options. I could drive 45 minutes to Erie, Pa and visit a larger Nursery/Greenhouse. They may have something better but when it comes to premixes what is the best thing to look for? I think along the lines of cacti soil because it drains faster but I am not sure. The last time I used Miracle Grow organic soil and mixed in a ton of perlite and I am still not happy. I think this is what led to anthracnose on mango. Bye the way that would not make flowers shrivel up and drop off right? I will have to post a picture. Most of the mango flowers are healthy and maybe 3-4 have tiny mangoes in the center of flower that are larger then the rest. Thanks Murahilin and Harry. I can't wait for my new trees. I promise to post pics of them as soon as they are here and potted up.
Andrew

o

There is some truth to the Ice Cream being more cold sensitive than others. I experienced this first hand last winter when we had multiple freezes up in Ormond beach (north of Daytona). I had the Ice Cream in the ground, as well as a Glenn, and protected both of them. The Glenn did fine, lost its bloom and maybe a couple leaves but the small tree did fine otherwise. The Ice Cream on the other hand got totally fried and I had to cut it back to the base. It did grow back though.

o

Squam,
Could you please explain what you meant by cutting it back to base and it growing back.

o

Squam,
Mike at Top was saying the Ice Cream was more cold hardy than the Julie. That is why he was trying to convince me to go with Ice Cream but I prevailed. I got what I wanted...the Julie. I just spoke to Mike a few minutes ago and told him to go ahead and add a heat pack to my trees. He said it was not necessary at this point because so far our temps in western NY have been above 32 degrees. Today it is actually in the low fifties. Next week the low to mid 40 when my pack age will arrive. Can't wait!!
Andrew

o

I would venture to say that Ice Cream and Juile have similar cold tolerance. I am sure there are cultivars that are more cold hardy (as alluded to by Squam with his Glenn in comparison). I have not seen any real difference at my house between Julie and Ice cream. Both have endured mid 30's fine with only new leaves being burned. Its once you get frost or below freezing that they will be scorched.

o

wow Harry,
what beautiful trees. I did not realise the abiu flowers from it's branches, neato. How does Edward's taste compare to others, does it have growth problems?

thanks for sharing and documenting the bloom times.

-Ethan

o

Well I am glad I don't need to worry about frost damage. I was pretty amazed that the inflo. werer not damged when I left Cogshall out and temps hit 35 degrees. I left it out over nite and when I got up it was 37 degrees. That was the last nightit spent outdoors. I wont do that anymore. I think I just got incredibly lucky. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the mango did not drop any leafs after being put under lights. The citrus trees dropped a ton, especially the blood orange. I think it's pretty cool that when the leaves fall off the new branches start growing from that point. I have not even had them in for a month and the blood orange is forming new branches!
Andrew

o

Ethan:

Thanks. Edward is renowned as one of the best flavored mangos in Florida. It is considered a shy bearer, but I have never found it to be so at my house. The fruits are large and very meaty with no fiber and an excellent rich complex tropical flavor. They are consistantly one of the earliest mangos that I grow and they are almost always staggered in their fruiting...thus extending the season nicely. By staggered I mean that part of the tree will bloom ealry and then another part of the tree will bloom a month to a month and a half later. This allows for two crops. When I do tastings at my home or office it is consistantly in the top two or three and often takes first place. To give you an idea what I think of it, I planted one out and then got another by accident when a Pim Saen Mun I bought turned out to be mis-marked. Then after having two trees, I bought two more. So I have four of them. One of the few culitvars I have planted out more than I tree of.

Harry

o

Murahilin, the Ice Cream not only lost its leaves, but its branches died as well. However, it was not "killed". It froze down towards the base, the bottom part of the trunk. luckily it did not freeze below the graft scar, so I completely removed all the branches and left a small stump remaining. The plant grew back very quickly from that stump. The new growth was all well above the graft so I knew it was 'still' an Ice Cream tree. The thing that you have to be careful of with grafted trees is if the tree is killed to below the graft, in which case the new growth will come from whatever rootstock was used.

I don't imagine either Ice Cream or Julie would differ significantly from eachother in cold tolerance, as Ice Cream is supposed to be a seedling of Julie.

There are a few varieties that are "supposedly" more cold tolerant: Bailey's Marvel and Neelum are two that i've read have better cold tolerance than most mangos. There was an article written a while back that I sent to Harry about the big freeze in south Florida in 1958 that pretty much conclusively showed certain varieties available at that time (such as Haden) were less cold sensitive than others (such as Keitt)

o

Just did my update walk through the yard and found the next mango variety to bloom is Julie....but just a pannicle or two. I also noticed some very light bloom and fruit set on Brahm Kai Mea (or Meu, depending on who you ask). Still nothing on Chou Anon. However, I think I see the possible bloom of Thai Everbearing just beginning. As a side note, my neighbors have a Graham tree that is loaded with blooms, while mine has none. Odd. The trees are less than 10 yards from each other, yet totally out of sync.

o

Harry,
thank you for the info on Edward. Do you have Gold Nugget, it is supposed to be a seedling of Edward but better any thoughts? How many mango varieties do you have?

thanks again,
-Ethan

o

Ethan:

I think I have around 80 or maybe 82 varities of mango at the moment. I do have Golden Nuggett. Not sure where you heard that it was a seedling of Edward...I never heard that and it really doesn't resemble Edward at all. It is a nice mango....mid season and yellow skinned. It doesn't have any fiber but does not, IMO, have the character or flavor of Edward. It does bear reliably each year with heavy crops....that is the only characteristic that is better than Edward.

Harry

o

Ethan,
I remember hearing the same thing about golden nugget being a seedling of Edwards but it is not likely true. They did DNA testing of mango pedigrees a few years back and they found out that golden nugget is most likely from a Kent.

Mango Pedigree Link

o

How come nobody mentions Carrie.

Last year was my first with with it -- and it performed magnificently.

I planted it last February and ate the first fruit in July.

I lost a few leaves with a cold snap, but it produced eighteen delicious fruit. No stringiness -- all deliciously sweet. Ate them with a spoon.

Be well

(o_O)

o

Brad.....there have been many a post about Carrie......just try putting "Carrie mango" into the search box in the garden Web tool bar at the top of the page and you will see. While there are some that don't like the Carrie sweet twang....most agree that it is an excellent mango.

Harry

o

HMH~

Oh.

Thanks

Be well

(o_O)

o

If I would have known that, I would have substituted the Lancetilla for Carrie. That is what I love most about the mango.
Andrew

o

Yep, Carrie is a close second to Julie of the types I have tried.

o

This is what my Carrie looked like after we had already eaten a few.

Be well

(o_O)

o

Oh nice looking tree. You guys really make me want to have a mango tree. But I'm trying to resist since I have to save room for my gefner and vietnamese apple. I think I will get the vietnamese apple next spring. Oh..bug bite again. I seriously need to get rid of some trees next year so I can buy some more.....but it's so hard.

o

Brad,
Your Carrie mango looks great! I counted 9 mangoes and you said you had all ready ate some. That's very encouraging for me to see! How did they taste and how large is your Carrie??
Andrew

o

This is Carrie this morning.

She is seven feet tall -- and you can see that she has practically doubled her growth since this summer.

She'll be one year old (for me) in two months.

This was what I posted (on another site) last July.

The eagle has landed !!!

I do not know how many of you have eaten real fresh mangoes -- but one of my Carrie mangoes finally felt soft -- and actually dropped off the tree as I watched it.

We sliced it for lunch and my DDW actually said it was the sweetest and most delicious mango she had ever eaten.

I have to agree. Sweet as sugar -- and absolutely no fiber.

If you plan to grow one -- pick a Carrie

You can't go wrong.

Be well

(o_O)

o

thank you Harry and Murahilin for the info.
Interesting link Murahilin, alot of new mango varieties came from the same parent genetics.

Harry, I think PIN claims Gold Nugget is possibly a seedling of Edward, Murahilin's link proves that is not true. Good to know, I was looking at GN but will now probably go with Edward for my next mango.

80+ mangoes wow, would love to visit during peak season.

-Ethan

o

Ethan:

Come on down....lots of fruit available. See you then!

Harry

o

please let me know also, if and when you have an open house to see your trees, fruits or no fruits. would love to see the spacing etc, regarding many different varieties of trees you have.

Radha.

o

Man I wish I lived in your area :)

o

Radhavall:

You are also welcome. If you wish to come by before fruiting season, let me know. I am always willing to show off the trees and fruits of my labor.

o

HARRY- sounds like u should open a fruit park and charge admission- there is a whole slew of us coming to visit you this spring/summer

o

LL: Yes, I am looking for a booking agent.....are you available?

o

Harry,

I would also like to visit your garden this summer. Would you mind selling/shipping some fruit? I would book a biweekly order for entire season:-)

Thanks,
Raghu

o
RE:, First Mango Bloom of the 2009-2010 Season

harry- i am def available... but i dont take cash-only lychees.

o

Raghu:
Let me know when you would like to come and we can set something up. As far as shipping, I haven't shipped any fruit before except for one time when I was going to sell Melissa's a few hundred Miracle Fruit. It was a disaster as the fruit got hung up in mailing and spoiled. I guess we could try...let's see how it goes. As fruit becomes available I'll try to post and see if we can get some to you.

LL: OK, what is your rate of lychee pay....as in how many pounds per day?

o

Mon, Nov 30, 09 at 23:18

Harry

I'd also love to try some of your more exotic mangoes so start working on getting the shipping details together ;)

o

tammysf:
Ok, I will try to start looking into shipping details. Some of you on this forum may have already had experience with receiving shipments of fruit....maybe even mango. If so, I'd welcome any suggestion on packing and shipping methods. While I have lots of growing and eating experience, I have virtually no successful actual fruit shipment experience. I have succesfully sent seeds and budwood...so that is not a problem if anyone is interested.

o

I think flat rate boxes would be the best deal. Murahilin shipped me lychees in one of the $10 boxes a couple seasons ago and they made it in pretty good shape. I think about 6 pounds fit in the box and I think they have larger boxes as well. I think most fruits would make it fine with priority mail if they are just wrapped in bubble wrap.

o

Tue, Dec 1, 09 at 10:35

I shipped some heirloom tomatoes this year to family that can't grow tomatoes (they only have about 40 days of summer) and wrapped in newspaper, then bubble wrap and put in a flat rate box. I used some pieces of cardboard as reinforcement so box wouldn't get crushed.

They arrived fine.

Make sure to ship on monday or tuesday so they don't sit over weekend.

o

Nice tree Brad!! Mangoes looks wonderful!!

o

Next up for the coming into bloom parade is Graham, Julie, and Thai Everbearing. Here's a shot of Julie.

And, an update shot of my Martinez mango:

o

hmh~

How about sending us some of the warm weather. You certainly do get a head start.

Gorgeous trees !

But wait.

Be well

(o_O)

o

Hmhuasman,
If you are going to do the shipping next year, please put me on your lists. Always want to have a taste of these different mango varieties. Kent and champagne are the only good mangos I can find here.
I got a Nam Doc Mai from Florida this February. The tree came with flower pinnacles on it. Should get some fruit in the next 2-3 years. But the tree has been grown poorly under my care. All young branches were knocked out by a baseball size hailstorm in spring. New branches were grown but are only pencil size branches and less than 12" of total grow for the entire summer. Even my Champagne seedling grown for 4 months, 6" tall, 4 small leaves and the trunk is about the size of a toothpick. With the grow rate like this, getting mangos from members here is a sure bet.
Mark

o

Mark:

I really haven't started a list....perhaps I should. I'll post as fruit matures and see who would be interested. While I may have some early fruit this year, there isn't usually any available for sale until May or so.

Harry

o

will wait till next May :)
Mark

o

Harry you need to have an open house. I would definitely make the drive to check out your yard in peak season. I may go broke after buying all of your fruit but it will be more than worth it.

o

Harry,

Count me in the list for ALL varieties of your mangoes. I can't wait for summer to arrive.

Thanks,
Raghu

o

Noticed more bloom today. The new additions to the list include Gary, Extrema, Rataul, and Maha Chanook. I think we are going to start blooming everywhere very soon.

o

Harry I would definetly like to be on your list. It would be beneficial to be able to sample mango before buying the tree. I would be interested in other fruit also.

o

Mon, Dec 7, 09 at 13:43

Harry should start a mail order business. He could probably sell all his mangos and lychees to us on GW.

o

Next up in going into bloom is Cogshall, Kau Dwarf and Mallindi. Still nothing in the way of bloosoms on Chou Anon...for all of you Chou Anon hopefuls.

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 12, 09 at 18:18

HMH, how do you like the Gary mango? It was a favorite of one of the Zill sons. I got one since it had such a wonderful name.

Gary :)

o

my Rosiegold is starting to bud out, im not keeping the mangos though, the trunk is about a year too skinny.

also my neighbors tree is starting to bud on its new growth. according to my neighbor it was over 40 foot high when Wilma topped it and it never fruited since. 4 years later it has plenty new growth thats budding. my neighbor bought the house with the tree in the yard in the 80's. i assumed it was a Kent because of its huge size, 15 feet in diameter and who knows how tall if it werent for Wilma it would be now. im not sure what it is because its budding early. i guess ill have to wait for the fruit to tell.

tomorrow ill take some quick pics

o

Next up in mango blooming I noticed today was Dot and Glenn.

Gary:
I really liked the Gary mango when I first tasted it year before last, but it was just a one or two fruit season. Last year I had the first decent sized crop but wasn't able to enjoy it as it got water logged by two weeks of heavy rains right around harvest time. You can rest assured, if Gary Zill named it.....with his name, it has to be good. This tree was given to me as a gift....by a visitor to my house a few summers ago. Wasn't it you? If it wasn't, it was someone from up your way. I think it was you.

o

BTW; i bought a chou-anon from Pine Island 3 months ago, it had a bloom panicle that fell off shortly after then grew two branches of new bright green flush growth. it was the only one out of the 25 or so they had that had a bloom so i picked it out wishfully thinking it will continue to be as precocious.

o

All this talk and pictures of Mango blooms got me thinking about my trees blooming. Most of them are still small except for the Valencia Pride and Pickering trees. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the Valencia Pride, hopeful about the Pickering and Carrie but not so hopeful about the Rosigold, Angie or Julie trees for this year. Harry - When do your Valencia Pride and Pickering trees normally bloom January, Febuary?

o

Tony:

They can bloom as late as February and still have fruit for their regular seasons.

o

Next up in the bloom parade.......Cushman

o

Harry, do your Cushman trees have poor disease resistance like PI suggests they do?

o

Harry,

When do these mangoes bloom for you - Alphonso, Lancetilla, Mallika, Nam Doc Mai?

Thanks,
Raghu

o

Sour Diesel:
No, my Cushman trees have at least average disease resistance...perhaps even above average. My Cushman trees are not the heaviest of bearers. But, what fruit the trees do bear are really some of my favorite mangos.
Raghu:
I can't give you a definite answer for several reasons. First, this is the first year that I have been involved in a forum/blog like this where I have actually recorded the order of trees coming into blossom. While I have pretty good recollection on most things regarding my trees, the fact that blooming times vary each year for almost all the trees prevents me from having any real fix on the trees you are asking about. I am sure that if I had a previous blog you would find certain varieties to be perennially in the beginning group. But based on what I am seeing this year and logging here, there would be considerably different order from year to year. I can tell you that the trees you mentioned have not gone into bloom in my yeard as of yet this year. I will post the beginnings of their blooming as soon as I notice them starting.

o

Tue, Dec 15, 09 at 11:34

Harry. Imagine if you had a blog with pics and descriptions of your fruit. I would totally stalk your blog.

o

Noticed the beginnings of blooms on Alphonso and Nam Doc Mai See Tong. The latter might be the same as Sia Tong (which grows right next to it). The fruits look almost identical but they were sent to me from Thailand with two different names. Who knows, for all I know they are the same and they were just called differently at the different nurseries that they were purchased at.

Just did a count and it now appears that about 1/4 of my mango trees are beginning to bloom. Just for the record.

Tammy:
I would love to do it, but time is the issue. I'll do my best to keep up with what is going on here.

o

Noticed Bailey's Marvel going into bloom this morning.

o

my Rosiegold is in bloom and my Chou anon was in bloom when i bought it, lol.

that makes 1/5 of my trees that are blooming, have bloomed :)

o

None of mine are doing anything yet...Hopefully they will start soon.

o

Mango bloom of the day......Mallika and Golden Lippens

o

This morning's yard walk reveals blooms starting on Irwin (an old Florida cultivar) and Dian Guaw a SE Asian variety from Thailand. Re: Dian Guaw.....I am not really sure if that is a correct name or not. I have had it for about 15 years and it has produced reliably for about the last 8 or 9 years, skipping only the year after Hurrican Wilma. It is a very large fruited variety for a SE Asian cultivar. It is typically longer than it is wide but doesn't have the "S" shape that many SE Asian types have. The fruit doesn't color up too much with ripeness. The flavor nice and sweet. It has no fiber and a yellow colored flesh. I have found nothing about it on the internet and even the person who sent it to me (who now lives full time in Thailand) doesn't remember it and claims to have never heard of it. The name Dian Guaw was on a label attached to the plant...but it was a bit faded out. For all I know, Dian Guaw is the name of someone in Thailand who was going to purchase that tree but never did and they left the label with the previous prospective purchaser on it when my friend picked it out to buy. In any case, it is a nice mango and the growth habit seems to be that of a grafted tree....so, what the heck is in a name anyway.

o

Hello Harry,
Well it sounds like the majority of your mangoes have bloomed or are blooming. How do you keep track of all these named mango varieties?? I know its got to be hard. Do you label them so you can remember? I know what you mean about the name. The only thing is it keeps you from buying the same one more then once. How long do you think it will be for your first tree ripened fruit?
Andrew

o

My Nam Doc Mai has started to bloom, and my Edward is mid-bloom. My Alphonso has also just started. My Rosigold and little Fairchild are in full bloom. Nothing on my Dot, Mallika, Keitt,Glenn or Southern Blush. I'm in mid-northern Brevard county, FL.

o

New mangos in bloom this morning include......Bombay, Carrie and Zill.

o

My Valencia nor my Carrie Blooming yet. Has anyone with Valencia bloom yet?

BTW, Carrie is the best!! I just love that mango. IT is second to none and I love me Mangoes. I also love the Choc-anon and Kent.... Wow, seems like I love them all :-)

o

harry- keep the pics coming. love how every day nearly, u r posting about mango trees in bloom. and now for my stunning news. my one and only mango tree (fairchild) has new growths from all 3 (yes thats 3) branch tips. hoobloodyray. hopefully, there will be a bloom spike on at least one of the 3 growths.

btw- i love how a casual request by me if you sell fruit has generated about 5 zillion me too requests. seems like u will be able sell thousands of mangoes to forum members.

o

I sure will buy!

o

Dr Scifi:

Send me your contact info by e-mail and I'll be sure to send you notice of what I have available (assuming this cold goes away in time to have a crop at all). Where are you located? Would you be interested in an invite to come to my house during season? I have been threatening to have all the local Tropical Fruit Forum people over for a mango/lychee tasting. Let me know.

Harry

o

Once again your pictures do not disappoint Harry! Please add me to your list.

Thank you!
Bo

o

Hi Harry,

I have emailed you my contact info. I am located in North Miami Beach, so same zone. I would love to see your trees.

-Richard

o

After a brief pause in blooming for the freeze, noticed blooms today on Pettigrew and Pim Saen Mun.

o

Harry,
Will there be any mangoes end of July beginning of August? That is when I will be there. If you tell me that the season will all ready be over, I would still like to tour your beutifuul orchard. I am not planning another trip back to FL next year. I am hoping to make it to P.R. for mango and mangosteen season. Probobly won't go back to FL till 2012.
Andrew

o

Hi Andrew:

I don't think I have ever been mango-less until at least the end of August. Much will depend on how this last cold spell affects the blooming cycle on some of the trees. So we are still in some sense, uncharted waters. I am sure we will be able to scrounge up some fresh fruit for you though.

Harry

o

Yeah, Hope my trees start to bloom soon. This cold spell prevented all my trees from Blooming.

o

Just a heads up, but looking at one of the computer models this afternoon showed ridging over Cuba in about 8 days...this would lead to some very warm S. FL temps.. Maybe we can break some high temp records!

o

Today's newly noticed blooms are Duncan, Fairchild and Spirit of 76.

o
Mango and Lychee Bloom

Not quite to the half way point in mango blooming. I still have just under 50 varieties that have not bloomed yet. I think things are going to really start heating up in the next two weeks. By February, we should be in full swing. And....I think I also see the beginnings of lychee bloom.....finally. Early Large Red is furthest along, with Mauritius not far behind.

o

Had the pleasure of a guest from this forum to my house today. Lycheeluva and I did an extensive walk thru the yard checking for new developments.....especially on the lychee front. It looks like the rest of the mangoes that have not bloomed, are almost all beginning to push their annual buds. Yes, even the miraculous Chou Anon is going to now bloom. There's no point in deliniating any further between the next to bloom. The late varieties such as Keitt, Neelum, Kent and even Valencia Pride haven't begun pushing bloom as of yet, but they will be shortly. I am also awaiting bloom on a couple of mango seedlings that I have never had fruit from. Mangoes survived the freeze very well here and we should have a very heavy crop (barring any more ridiculous Arctic oscillations). As trees set their crops I'll post pictures.

o

just wanted to add, they do have cherries now that will grow with 100-200 chill hours. I think they're called Royal Lee and Minnie royal, something like that. Bay Laurel has them

o

jun:

Checked out Bay Laurel......unfortunately I found:

MINNIE ROYAL
Price: $ 25.95
Medium sized red cherry with good flavor and a low chill requirement. Tree is very productive and ripens 11-14 days ahead of Bing. Pollinated by Royal Lee. 200 to 300 hours.

ROYAL LEE
Price: $ 25.95
Medium-large red heart-shaped cherry is firm with excellent flavor. Tree is very productive with a low chill requirement. Pollinated by Minnie Royal. 200 to 300 hours.

Both requiring 200-300 chill hours. Even with this past record cold year, I am not sure I would ever get fruit. Did I miss something you saw?

Harry

o

So no mangoes for sell? Maybe they are all done? I was blessed with TOns of Valencia this year. gave away to tons of friends and family. Even shipped some to other states. I think I will prune the tree as it got too big. This is is second year fruiting. For some reason, my valencia's are pretty big. I mean, they are huge. My momma say I have a green thumb :-)

o

Richard:

Sorry....no mangoes for sale this year. Between the birds, racoons possums and my family needs......no real quantity left to sell. I have had a couple of the Forum members over to taste the limted fruit I have. I extended an open invitation to all the local Forum members. Hoping that next year we will be back in business and have lots of fruit available to sell.

Harry

o

I just started following along some of your threads while searching for mango info, and I'm just dying to taste some of these alien fruits. I'd like to fall in line for next year's crop!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here