Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john13_gw

Topical fruit pics

john13
17 years ago

Please post as many pics as you want to! I love to look at them and i'm sure others do to.

John

Comments (34)

• Eggo
    17 years ago

okay I've been optimizing the pictures all morning. enjoy.

;recently cut and hands separated, Namwah variety.
    {{gwi:1332272}};variegated yellow edible banana, fruits will also be variegated
    ; Nam Doc Mai just sent out large long bloom spikes, doubtful any fruit will make it through the winter.
    ;They're almost ripe, my first home grown pineapples, I can't wait.
    ;fruits all gone, this is the Emperor variety, for some reason about 80% of the fruits were seedless.
    ; They're almost ripe, maybe in another month and a half.
    ;ripe persimmons
    ; They're not fully ripe yet but can easily be eaten because they're sweet already but the flesh has not fully developed.
    ; You can still a few fruits left on the tree, its a small tree.
    ;various fruits

• Eggo
    17 years ago

let me try it this way.
    Bananas. Recently cut and hands separated, Namwah variety.

Banana Leaf Flag. Variegated yellow edible banana, fruits will also be variegated
    {{gwi:1332272}}

Mangos. Nam Doc Mai just sent out large long bloom spikes, doubtful any fruit will make it through the winter.

They're almost ripe, my first home grown pineapples, I can't wait.

fruits all gone, this is the Emperor variety, for some reason about 80% of the fruits were seedless.

Cherimoyas, they're almost ripe, maybe in another month and a half.

ripe persimmons

Longans. They're not fully ripe yet but can easily be eaten because they're sweet already but the flesh has not fully developed.

Wax Jambus. You can still a few fruits left on the tree, its a small tree.

Guavas

various fruits

Now your turn. =)

• racor_2006
    17 years ago

Here are a couple of fruiting trees

Alano Sapodilla - These are beginning to grow.

Gefner Atemoya - Probably another month before they are ready

• john13
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow nice pics thanks for taking the time to post them!

Eggo your Guavas and pics look so nice wish my tree didn't get frozen! :( And those pineapples are so cool how long did the take to fruit? I have one that is about one year old started from a pineapple from the store.

Racor those Atemoyas look so yummy wish i could taste one i never have had a fruit from that family(Atemoya, Cherimoyas,sugar apple). But that should change once my greenouse get built and i get the plants.

John

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

How are you inserting the pic right in the message????

• racor_2006
    17 years ago

I import my pictures to Photobucket, generate an HTML image then copy it to this page inside the Messages box.

Good luck

• Eggo
    17 years ago

Jay, the link below may is also a good help on posting pictures.

John, a possum stole one of my ripe pineapples!!

Racor, you gotta send some fruits over here when they're ripen. =)

Here is a link that might be useful: How Do I Add Pictures to My Posted Messages?

• john13
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Eggo thats to bad !:(

John

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Let's see if this works properly!

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Okay...showed up in preview so assuming it worked! Here's the shots of the work I did this weekend planting some things directly into the ground in the greenhouse. I'm still sore!

First shot shows the dragon fruit and papaya plantings
    {{gwi:300086}}

This shows the banana plantings.
    {{gwi:300087}}

Miscellaneous
    {{gwi:1332291}}

More
    {{gwi:1332293}}

• racor_2006
    17 years ago

Nice setup Jay,

With the right combination of tropical trees there, you will have a mini tropical forest in no time.

What fruit trees are you planning to grow there? I remember you where inquiring about green sapote. I am happy to say that mine has put on about 2 inches in growth in the last month or so. Hopefully one day will flower and fruit.

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

A little of everything! My main focus are things found in Thailand. Garcinias/Rheedias, maprang, rambutan, namwah banana, papaya, sugar apples, and so other odds and ends.

• patusho25
    17 years ago

seedless guava:

soncoya:

arrayan (sartre guava. Calyptrosidium sartorianum):
    {{gwi:1332299}}

• racor_2006
    17 years ago

Patusho25,

Grear looking pictures. Where did you find that Sancoya? It looks very big. How's the flavor? I have a very tiny seedling. Don't know if it will ever grow. Ahala que si.

Saludos

• dghays
    17 years ago

Ohiojay,

I also like several vars from Thailand. You might consider See Chompoo or Biew Kiew longans. I consider them superior to lychee in flavor, as does apparently a decent portion of the population out there with access to both. I doubt that's the case with the typical American palate though. I think the Alano sapodilla might be from there also, and its considered one of the best.

Gary

• patusho25
    17 years ago

racor, the soncoya is from a friend, he says it was sweet and viscous, good quality.

• Eggo
    17 years ago

Jay, incredible pictures!!! What is the plant in the tan pot in the 1st picture. Nice looking mangs! Are those super dwarf and zebrina bananas?

I know John, I can't believe those possums. The fruit was small enough already. I did eat the other one, yummy, honey sweetness, well worth the wait but I definitely gonna have to work on it producing a larger size pineapple fruit next time.

Great pics too Patusho. Only heard of the Soncoya here and there, never seen a clear picture of the fruit before. Looks good.

• Eggo
    17 years ago

oh here's some dragonfruit. 2 of 8 fruits I have right now.

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Eggo, the one in the tan pot is the Mayong Chid Maprang. It's in the process of a growth flush right now. My Jit Lee Rambutan in the back (hard to see) had some kind of scale on the bottom of the leaves. At least I believe it to be scale. I sat and scrubbed each and every leaf. What a bi%$& that was! I'm afraid to spray. If it is scale, don't most sprays have trouble penetrating to the actual insect itself anyway? As for the nanas. Both in front are the SDC and your namwah is in the back corner. My mangos are splitting...that's covered in another post.

Gary, in the second photo, the plant in front is my Alano Sapodilla. We also believe it to be a Thai variety. That's what I was shooting for anyway. Based on Pine Island's description and photos of the fruit, my wife believes it to be a Thai variety...her favorite.

I had a couple of new plants in mind to get here soon before the weather completely falls out from under me. One is either a Kari star fruit or a sweet variety of a wax jambu...anyone have any experience with this plant? Suppossed to be either a grafted, airlayered, or cutting. I hear they fruit rather quick. I hope so. Again, my wife always liked the jambu fruit back home. So I probably need to lean towards this one. That way, I can at least TRY to claim that a few of the trees are in there JUST FOR HER!! Think she'll buy that?

• racor_2006
    17 years ago

Eggo,

I have a couple of Pitayas in pots that are getting a bit large for it so I'm going to plant them in the ground soon but did not waant them going up my fence. I see in your picture that they are groing in some kind of metal frame.

Do you have a picture displays your setup. It looks just like something I would use to grow mine.

Thanks

• ronald123
    17 years ago

Hello all , lovely pictures. here is a sapodilla I recently found to the south of the island. (Jamaica)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50169975@N00/274786827/

• Eggo
    17 years ago

"Think she'll buy that?"
    Jay, just keep selling it and I think she'll eventually buy it. lol

Excellent pictures Ronald. That Rollinia looks insane.

Racor, it is grown on a metal frame and the cement wall. I will load some pictures of my setup but I wouldn't recommend it for several reasons. Metal should probably only be used on the top of support. The plant likes to put out aerial roots and it doesn't do this on metal frames. These roots can be quite supportive on how well the plants end up growing.

• Eggo
    17 years ago

Racor, this is the best picture of the frame I could find right now, will take some new shots in the next few weeks. Its basically an open sided box, two sides + wall, and the top frame.

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Thanks man! You post these pics of your dragon fruit "cage" after I went thru all that work burying a single post!! :) That looks nice though. You are getting pretty "space-savy" with your plants. Maybe that's what I can do with my dragon fruit. I'll extend the post up and out across the bay window to the ceiling and let them hang down in front of the windows! Yeah, right. Will have to think of something creative for when they reach that point!

• Eggo
    17 years ago

Jay, the single post will work much better! This setup is not really built too well for dragonfruits and I'm trying to make some more use of it by also growing grapes along the frame.

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

I thought I was bad trying to fit as many plants "inside" as I can. You are just as bad trying to fit as many as you can outside!! One of these days you are going to get some bizzare kind of cross-pollenization and become famous! What would you call a cross between a dragon fruit and a grape?

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

I thought I was bad trying to fit as many plants "inside" as I can. You are just as bad trying to fit as many as you can outside!! One of these days you are going to get some bizzare kind of cross-pollenization and become famous! What would you call a cross between a dragon fruit and a grape?

• Eggo
    17 years ago

Wouldn't that be cool but probably aint going to happen without the help of a little genetic engineering. I did once got a slightly developed seed from an edible banana, that was interesting.

• monkiiboii
    15 years ago

Hi Eggo

Excellent picture..Can you advise as where I can find the Nam Doc Mai mango tree and wax jambu tree, My wife loves these very much. I have been trying to find these 2 plants for a very long time..I live on Los Angeles county and have a hard time find them..please advise, thank you

-Ott

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Might try Ong's Nursery in San Diego, Frankies or Gaiayoga in HI. Pine Island Nursery in FL will have them but I believe you must pay for a phytosanitary certificate on top of the plant price and shipping costs.

• ronald123
    15 years ago

yellow catleya guava

• ronald123
    15 years ago

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

I am insanely jealous of these wonderful fruits you have produced and also ashamed of myself for living in the sub tropics for years and not thinking of planting them until this past year.
    My father was right my head is not good for anything but a hatrack!

• ronald123
    15 years ago

barbcolueus your father pulls no punches.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA