Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When are dragon fruits ripe (sweet) for picking?

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 16:40

Can you tell from the color of the skin that its' time? I know that when there's any trace of green it is too early, but how red is "ripe" red?

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When are dragon fruits ripe (sweet) for picking?

I've read that when the tips of the "fins" on the fruit start to dry up & yellow, that is when they are ready. Worse case, just wait until they soften up. I'm awaiting the right time to pick mine as well.

How's the Fino de Jete, btw?

o

That is correct, when the fins start to dry out (aka look less pretty) then you're good to go.

This is also why drgaonfruit at the store sucks, they have to pick it early so it ships and it looks pretty in the store but the inside has no flavor.

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 1:23

OK, I'll wait some more.
Thanks,

Rodney,
The Fino de Jete is fine, I just put it inground a couple weeks ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here