Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodog_gw

MangoDog's October '11 Update

mangodog
12 years ago

Someone had asked me to post an update. Though most things hadn't grown a helluva lot, there where a few blue ribbon winners in the growth department. After watching a video on pruning by whose-his-face at Fairchild Gardens, I really got into bud pinching the last few months to get the early branching going on the youngsters.....

Enjoy - gary

Rosigold first in Jan, now Oct. 2011 - she grew some - very healthy tree - now we'd just like some fruit, please,

Rosie dearest!

Maha Chinook - first in a mid-july planting and then October

Glenn in Feb., then Oct. 2011. He seems to like it there!

Nam Doc Mai in February - then Oct. 2011 - recovered well from some frost.

Edward in Feb., then in Oct. 2011

Choc-anon in February/October

Keitt-tucked into his new home in Feb./ then Oct. 2011 (one fruit still on Tree and still hard as a brick at this writing!)

The triple threat - loosely from left to right - Valencia Pride, Haden, Nam Doc Mai - Feb. then Oct. 2011

Pickering before and after:

And the Alphonso - def. the blue ribbon winner - grew right thru the summer, thru all the heat and is still growing strong.

And lastly a Mexican Papaya which believe it or not are not very easy to grow around here. The winter die-back nearly kills all but a small crown of leaves - this one came back nicely this year

Comments (33)

• behlgarden
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Awesome! that too in Palm Springs. Where did you get your Maha Chinook?

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi BG - ummmm.....got it from that guy.....ummmmm....that guy at plantogram....forget his name rignt now!!!

Someone will remember him (or me when I least expect it!)
    I do remember it was about 100 bucks incl. shipping

mangoMANGE

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Looks like some excellent growth and recovery since last report. Good work! I think it is Mickey to whom you refer at Plantogram. Never dealt with him myself, but he has been praised in this forum by others. Really good comparison presentation of your plants. The time spent in putting that together is always appreciated.

Harry

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes - that's him Harry - super nice and accomodating guy.

MDog

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Congratulations Gary!

Your trees look amazing, thanks for the before and after pics! You are doing a great job in the desert.You are the MangoKing of Socal, no offense to Harry the Michael Jordan of Mangos ( we'all wanna be like Harry LOL), we want more sequels!

JF

• guajiro
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing mangodog! Great lookin' trees.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Everything looking good. I like the Papaya-thats the first Mexican type I've seen posted growing in the west. The bigger leaves look super exotic. I've tried here-no way. They root rot in the first cold rain. I once kept a pair in a pot for years in a greenhouse-surprised me how well they adapted to a 5 gallon pot and reached about 4'-with flowers- last I saw of them..

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Guajiro and Harry

JF - hardly the mango king of So Cal! Maybe the Mango Prince of the Desert Sand Clan! As you know, the jury is out as to how things will do out here over time. I really wish, however, I could just meet one other person out here who is growing them. Have you ever grown papaya at your house? I've seen some in LA that seemed to be producing fruit.....

Stan - yeah the winter watering is the trickiest for those papayas, really any papaya. I basically just turn the watering almost off and if they wilt a bit, I give them a few gallons of water to perk them up again. I've got three that survived last winter and are all above 7 feet tall now. Have you ever seen a really old Papaya plant? They get a trunk on them and soar upwards of 20 feet. Strange looking in the winter of course with that small crown of leaves....we'll see how mine do....

MangoDoggyPaddle

• zands
    12 years ago

Your Pickering looks great. You have such adverse growing conditions compared to South Florida. Mango trees must do better in more urban parts of SoCal where there might be other trees partly shading them and creating more moisture in the air so leaves don't dry out. New growth leaves can dry out and die here (Florida) my theory is I fed them too much nitrogen via the fertilizer

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Your yard is like an oasis of mango trees!It would be my dream to have all these mango trees in my yard...unfortunately it's not possible for me....Someday for sure I'll move to SoCal.Really, you're a good gardener since it's really dry in your area.

Samuel Forest

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

zands - except when it gets to say 108 or above, the new flushing shoots do NOT dry out or burn. I'm amazed, actually. And often in the super heat, the trees push growth more slowly anyway. But you are right about planting mangos with other trees nearby - especially out here they benefit greatly from the comraderie which produces a nice microclimate, and some blessed shade.

Sammy - thanks for the nice comments, but the automatic watering is the thing that saves our butts! Obviously it is more than that, but to have to hand water my yard - would probably crush my passion. Anyway, if you (or anyone here at the forum) ever comes passing my way out here, would love to have you stop over and say hi. I'm a lonely mango farmer with no one to talk to!!!!!!

LOL.......MD

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

MangoDog

we have a sh.. load of fruiting Papaya trees around the hood but since, I hate Papayas, I couldn't tell you what varieties they are.

JF

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

You too, but the only thing nice to see in quebec is snow or the fall season.So I think SoCal is nicer lol.

Sam

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Samuelforest

There is nothing wrong with Quebec, j'ai aime Montreal beaucoup and ses bone cuisine!

JF

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

I really like Quebec, people are nice and always happy, but sometimes the temperature makes me mad.

here's some French lol:J'adore Québec surtout la ville de Montreal il y a beaucoup de cultures ce qui rend cette ville très interresante surtout du côté de la cuisine comme tu l'a dit.Seulement, il fait froid en hiver et on reçoit a peu près 1 mètrre de neige par année c'est ce côté que j'aime moins.

Sam

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hey samuelforest,

Mon francis est tres feable but please stop typing or paste and cutting those french accents and symbols so I can understand your sentences.

JF

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Sorry, the symbols were not on purpose it's because the forum cannot accept words or letter with accents like in French.My english is not that good too and I will not expect from you to be a good french speaker or writter because I know that french is a lot more tricky to learn than english.I feal also surprise from you that you speak french because you live far in the south.

Sam

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

samuelforest

Montreal es la ville la plus culturelle a cote de New York and Los Angeles, en Americ du Nord!bonne chance avec your Mallika!

JF

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Ce mon Mallika un,deux semaines avant ripening.

JF

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Cool, you have a Mallika just like me.Did you taste one of the fruit?How did it taste because some said it taste like carrot a little.I never had the chance to taste one, up north we have the disgusting tommy aktins ,but sometime there's palmer,osteen,maya.Good luck too with your mallika and it's a great looking tree.

Sam

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Sam,

Yes, they are fantestique!Here is a link from last year's crop and when I got home today one of my Mallika's dropped so I'll have pics in a few days.

JF

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0920225130926.html

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

The mangoes look delicious, I think I will not be dissapoint you threw out my fear away because some people on the forum said they didn't like it.Now the tricky part for me is to get one in the canadian climate, maybye I'll be as lucky as kristy.I hope your mallika that dropped will taste great and that you've had a good crop this year.

Sam

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Mangodog, your trees are awesome! I think you and Jeff have some of the most beautiful mango trees in California. My mango trees are about half the size of yours. My Alphonso is also my fastest growing mango tree. I also purchased a Maha Chinook from Mickey, he is a nice guy and the tree he sent is beautiful.
    Simon

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Nice fruit trees! Looks like the triple threat is doing pretty well.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hey Mango dog,
    How's your Maha Chinook doing? Mine has really been impressing me. I had 3 growth flushes this year and maybe I will end up with a 4th. Each time it flushes growth again, I cut the new growth back a few inches. So far, this has really been a benefit for me. Two of the branches that flushed produced 6 or 7 new branches, and one of them has an inflo. I think the power chord on the HPS got yanked on and it snapped the inflo in half..GRR!! I noticed today though that it is still growing and maybe...just MAYBE it will still flower.

has yours produced inflos? What do you think of it's growth? Mine doesn't grow really fast but 3 flushes a year, I gained about a foot of new growth. I am all ready looking at this tree wondering how I will keep it in bounds in the future. I can see myself having a dilemna over pruning it. I hate the idea of having to cut it back just so I can winter it over indoors:(
    Andrew

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Sam
    The pics of the Mallika is the one that dropped. I have one left on the tree it will be ready in two weeks. You shouldn't have any problem if you bring yours in for the winter.

JF

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

It should I hope it will.For now, I have a problem and the problem is springtails I can't get rid of them...If you or anyone on the forum have ideas to get rid of them it would be greatly apprecied.I tried already friction alchool without any great sucess.

Thanks in advance
    Sam

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Andrew - I think I got the Maha Chinook in the middle of the summer and it's had two flushes. I've been just pinching the tips and getting it to branch like yours. It's a fairly fast grower....no inflows yet...next spring will be the test......

Oh, and a Non-freezing winter wouldn't hurt!

Be good......Dog of the mango

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hey Mangodog,
    Thanks for the update. Also thanks for letting me know how fast yours is growing...sounds like yours is growing just like mine...I wonder how "semi dwarf" it really will be! Might have to see if we can put in a sky light for it..LOL!

Andrew

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

Mangiferapup:

From all the Mahachanoks I have seen, they do not seem to be a fast grower.

Rob

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BS - well maybe it's the illusion of fast growth because the flushes on my tree seem longer - maybe 5-7 inches long as opposed to 3-5. You know, the length between leaves being kind of stretched out and not tightly compacted.....

mangogrrrrrr

• iammarcus
    12 years ago

Have any of you grafted more than one variety on your mangos? Growing under glass will limit the number of varities I can grow. Glad to see fruit in a container plant, gives one hope.
    Dan

• BestDay23
    11 years ago

Mangodog, I just found this posting. Your trees look great and I am really impressed with the amount of growth you got in 10 months! They are growing a lot faster than I thought they would. I think that Palm Springs heat really helps you with growth. I think I will make the same post with my trees this summer to compare to yours.

Thanks for the photos.

Bill

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm