Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swrancher

Best Late Mango

swrancher
14 years ago

Any suggestions for a late season Mango variety in South Florida? I'm trying to extend Mango eating season as long as possible so the later bearing the better... I'm thinking of maybe a Lanceilla, Kent, or even Keitt but I'm open to others too. My curremt latest variety is Valencia Pride.

Comments (19)

• squam256
    14 years ago

I've never had Neelum but I tried Beverly at the Spykes nursery in May and it had a very 'rich' flavor that I really enjoyed.

• swrancher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hmhausman - Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to plant both a Neelum and a Keitt tree. Tasting them next summer sounds fantasic and would be greatly appreciated. I think we are located pretty close to each other I'm just a few blocks east of the Rare Fruit and Vegtable Club Garden off Griffin Road in SW Ranches.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

SWRancher.....no problem. You aren't far. I am off of 136the Avenue by Western High School. I'd be happy to have you stop by.

• j-grow
    14 years ago

you will be very happy with the flavor of the neelum.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

hmhausman,
    You're pretty near me. I'm right at 595 and Hiatus.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Murahilin:
    Can't get much closer....ok, you and SWRancher are invited to the first annual Garden Web Tropical Fruit Forum Mango tasting this coming season.....Date and Time To Be Announced.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hmhausman, Please post in the summer when you will be selling Mangoes...I live appx. 3 hours north(central)from you... I would absolutely love to stop by and see all of your mango trees and buy some..."if" its okay?

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

puglvr1:
    I'd be more than happy to let you know.....come on down...the more the merrier.

• juliemango
    14 years ago

Me too! Me too!. I am in Pembroke Pines so not that far away.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

You're also more than welcome Juliemango....although, if you are in Pembroke Pines during the lunch hour, you might be better off stopping by my office as we have a daily tasting there during mango season and my office is in Pembroke Pines. Either way, I am always happy to share the fun of tasting mangos, lychees, jakfruit or whatever else maybe ripe. To be honest, I get as much enjoyment out of seeing others really loving the fruit I have grown as I do in eating it myself.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Sounds like a plan.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks so much...looking forward to it :o)

• trini1trini
    14 years ago

Hmhausman, please put my name on the invite list. I am a Davie-ite too. I have about 12 varieties of mango and can bring some. It'll be nice to meet you all.
    :)

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Trini1:
    You are more than welcome, especially as a fellow Davie-ite.

• swrancher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmhausman, Thank you for the invite.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and tasting some new varieties of Mango...Hopefully I'll have some fruit from my trees to share as well.

• britlexliv
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I am looking for some turpentine seeds for root stock. Do you know where I can find some? Is it posible to obtain one or two of your neelum scions for grafting?

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

you dont have to necessarily use turpentine as rootsock, find yourself the stringiest most turpentine tasting wild mango and its seed will make good rootstock that is more resistant to root nematodes.

old thread but for reference Gold Nugget was the last mango of the season last year at Pine Island and tasted similar to a haden or glenn

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Keitts from Mexico are available at Publix right now and labeled as such. Best mango I have ever had from a grocery store (not saying much). I'd give it a 7 on a 1-10 scale. Valencia Pride I rate at & 7.5 to 8 for comparison. Other posters are right that Keitt has a simple uncomplicated mild sweet mango flavor with maybe a hint of pineapple. It's a very agreeable sweet mild tasty mango, but it won't knock your socks off the way some other great varieties will. Tho when it comes to late varieties (Sept+) the choices are much more limited and you can't be quite can't be as choosy.

Keitt is a better backyard tree as it has a rather scraggly haphazard appearance.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio