Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Late Mango

Posted by swrancher 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 15, 09 at 16:53

Any suggestions for a late season Mango variety in South Florida? I'm trying to extend Mango eating season as long as possible so the later bearing the better... I'm thinking of maybe a Lanceilla, Kent, or even Keitt but I'm open to others too. My curremt latest variety is Valencia Pride.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Late Mango

All the mango varieities you mention are good. The latest of the ones you mention is Keitt. It is a reliable bearer and can have fruit on into the month of October in some years.....the animals and birds notwithstanding. The only ones that are available that you do not have listed are Beverly and Neelum. Neelum is the latest of these. I am growing all of these and depending on your taste, if you want the latest season, go with Neelum or Keitt. Keitt is large and meaty, very sweet with no fiber...but the flavor is not complex. If you prefer a more complex flavor....go with Neelum....the fruits are about 1/2 or even 1/3 the size, but they are fiberless and sweet with a nice spicy flavor.

If you have the space, plant one of each, you won't be sorry. If not, and you want to try them before making a decision, perhaps you could stop by my house next summer to sample them. I think you are near me. I'd be happy to let you try them.

o

I've never had Neelum but I tried Beverly at the Spykes nursery in May and it had a very 'rich' flavor that I really enjoyed.

o

hmhausman - Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to plant both a Neelum and a Keitt tree. Tasting them next summer sounds fantasic and would be greatly appreciated. I think we are located pretty close to each other I'm just a few blocks east of the Rare Fruit and Vegtable Club Garden off Griffin Road in SW Ranches.

o

SWRancher.....no problem. You aren't far. I am off of 136the Avenue by Western High School. I'd be happy to have you stop by.

o

you will be very happy with the flavor of the neelum.

o

hmhausman,
You're pretty near me. I'm right at 595 and Hiatus.

o

Murahilin:
Can't get much closer....ok, you and SWRancher are invited to the first annual Garden Web Tropical Fruit Forum Mango tasting this coming season.....Date and Time To Be Announced.

o

Hmhausman, Please post in the summer when you will be selling Mangoes...I live appx. 3 hours north(central)from you... I would absolutely love to stop by and see all of your mango trees and buy some..."if" its okay?

o

puglvr1:
I'd be more than happy to let you know.....come on down...the more the merrier.

o

Me too! Me too!. I am in Pembroke Pines so not that far away.

o

You're also more than welcome Juliemango....although, if you are in Pembroke Pines during the lunch hour, you might be better off stopping by my office as we have a daily tasting there during mango season and my office is in Pembroke Pines. Either way, I am always happy to share the fun of tasting mangos, lychees, jakfruit or whatever else maybe ripe. To be honest, I get as much enjoyment out of seeing others really loving the fruit I have grown as I do in eating it myself.

o

Sounds like a plan.

o

Thanks so much...looking forward to it :o)

o

Hmhausman, please put my name on the invite list. I am a Davie-ite too. I have about 12 varieties of mango and can bring some. It'll be nice to meet you all.
:)

o

Trini1:
You are more than welcome, especially as a fellow Davie-ite.

o

Hmhausman, Thank you for the invite.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and tasting some new varieties of Mango...Hopefully I'll have some fruit from my trees to share as well.

o

Hi,
I am looking for some turpentine seeds for root stock. Do you know where I can find some? Is it posible to obtain one or two of your neelum scions for grafting?

o

you dont have to necessarily use turpentine as rootsock, find yourself the stringiest most turpentine tasting wild mango and its seed will make good rootstock that is more resistant to root nematodes.

old thread but for reference Gold Nugget was the last mango of the season last year at Pine Island and tasted similar to a haden or glenn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here